Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2017, 08:40 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1999 35' Cutter Diesel Bus w/slide
Blanco , Texas
Air suspension dump valve

I have a 1999 Cutter diesel pusher on a Freightliner chassis and haven't been able to locate a dump valve.

If it sits for a few days it lowers itself about 2", but I would like to lower it before leveling it.

I've only owned it for about 3 months and am still in the learning process.

Thanks for any advise.
Donee J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 10:23 AM   #2
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
I would think you should have one?

On my CLIPPER, it is located on the lower dash, right side of steering wheel, just below the steering wheel in the photo attached. (black slide toggle style switch)

"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 07:15 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Blanco , Texas
I don't see anything like that on my dash or side console, hopefully someone with a 99 Cutter will chime in.

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it,

Donee
Old 06-24-2017, 09:32 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Blanco , Texas
Haven't had any success finding a dump vale control. I did take some photos of the dash and side console. Maybe it's hiding in plain sight.

Thanks for any help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cutter 35 Dash left.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	288130   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cutter 35 Dash right.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	288131  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cutter 35 side console.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	288132  
Old 06-28-2017, 08:51 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Shepherdstown , West Virginia
Your dash is very similar to mine with a few controls laided out differently. My key switch, AC control, and level system are on left side. Radio is on right side but mounted lower. Do not have a dump switch either and I got, what seems like, all the info ever published on it.

However, one trick you might try, whenever I raise the front end with levelers, it automatically dumps the air bags. When I lower the front it goes down to lowest level but will start to raise if engine is running. If not, it would stay in lowest position.

Btw...mine is on a Freightliner chassis too and we have the same center dash with gages.
Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 07:14 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Blanco , Texas
Thanks for the reply Mike,

I contacted Freightliner Customer Service with my VIN and they informed me that my coach did not come with the option to dump the air bags and that it would be cost prohibitive to add that option.

I was going to check into modifying it myself but if your trick works on my system I don't think I'll need to pursue that.

I can see how raising the coach would cause the levelers to call for releasing air from the system and result in dumping the air bags. It should work on the back air bags as well.

Thanks for passing along this information!

I will try your suggestion tonight and report back.

Donee
Old 06-30-2017, 09:34 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Blanco , Texas
Your suggestion will work on my Cutter.

I have to empty the air tanks first (otherwise when I lower the hydraulic jacks the air bags refill).

Then I raise the coach with the front and rear hydraulic jacks, just an inch or so. I can hear the air releasing from the air bags at this time. Once the air bags are empty, I can lower the coach front and rear hydraulically and start my leveling procedure from the lowered position.

Thank you very much Mike, your work around solved my problem!!!
Old 07-02-2017, 11:42 AM   #8
Rivet Master

I have never tried it with my rear levelers but will next chance I get on an uneven campsite.

My air pump will not run unless the engine is operating but the levelers will. Might try using the leveling system with motor shut off and key in ON position. Glad the suggestion worked on your Airstream.
Old 07-03-2017, 08:16 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Blanco , Texas
I had the motor off and key on, and when I raised up with the jacks the air bags leaked down, but when I let the jacks down the levelers added air to the bags to get it back to ride height.

I don't know how your air bag suspension works but I think mine is all mechanically actuated and as long as there is air in the air tanks it will try to keep the coach at ride height. When I emptied the air tanks everything worked fine.

Thanks again!
Old 04-26-2018, 07:19 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Just an update to this tread about dumping air tanks without a switch.

If I raise and lower mine with engine off, key in accessory position (turn left); I can raise and lower the levelers. Once extended, they will bleed down to about 50psi. Once your at that point, I try to get the rear lower then level with the front. Never a good idea to raise rear so high your wheels are off the ground.
Old 06-15-2018, 06:47 PM   #11

Quilcene , Washington
I have a 99 cutter 35' and my air bag dump valve is on the lower part of the left side below all the switches and gen start panel. It has a protetive sroud on it to keep it from being switched accidentally. In the rear position it is in the run position and the forward position is the dump mode. Hope this helps.
TedC is offline   Reply With Quote