Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2011, 08:28 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2006 39' A-Series
Prescott , Arizona
Air horns on 390 XL

Does anyone know how to operate the Hadley air horns on a 2000 390 XL? I have the original installation documentation that came with mine and it seems to refer to a "lanyard" that is attached to an air valve. But I cannot find any lanyard or switch anywhere on or under the dash. When I go on the roof to examine the air horns, there is, in fact, an air line that goes to them.
Thanks.
Jeff Witwer
jwitwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Jamestown , Kentucky
A lanyard would be a cord or Line above your head ? or side window I would think. This would open, operate a manual air Valve.

For a 12 volt system, a Button, Becomes Hot, Live after you flip a switch. from electric horns to the air horn valve.

Maybe ? This is how it should be for either system.

Do you have an electric horn working Now ??? The switch may be in the , Town Mode

NOT the Air Horn Mode.

Try to trace the Air Line down to the air supply
to find a valve
John H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:15 AM   #3
Streamin'

1995 30' Cutter Bus LE
Madison , New Mexico
We have air horns from Grover Products, but they may work the same. I had to replace the compressor for our system.

The solenoid that activates the horns on our system is under the hood. It's a small cylindrical plastic thing with two wires and two air hose connections. The wires connect to the standard 12v automotive horn and the one hose comes from the compressor reservoir tank and the other goes to the two horns on the roof. When you push the horn on the steering wheel both the 12v and air horns work (if the compressor is on).

Here is a schematic of our system. I added an air hose connection to the system to inflate tires and stuff. It comes in very handy.

BarnacleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 06:54 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2006 39' A-Series
Prescott , Arizona
Solved the air horn mistery

Thanks for your suggestions. They encouraged me to go out a do some more investigation. I'll post what I found in case anyone else ever encounters a similar mystery. It turns out that in the 390XL (at least mine) the air horn and electric horn operate simultaneously. And there is no "either/or" selection switch. There is an electrically activated air valve in front of the driver (visible, but not really accessible, from opening the generator slide) which admits air to the air horns whenever you push the steering wheel button. My air horns were not working because the electrical wire to the air valve was disconnected. Perhaps the previous owner did not appreciate the authoritative sound of the combined horns. Personally, I think I'll enjoy it.
Thanks again for your advice.
Jeff Witwer
jwitwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 06:59 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Jamestown , Kentucky
some city's have ordinances. so the owner may have been in the city and did not want a citation.

the P.O. also may have had Grandchildren. that found the horn button ??? Ha Ha mine did
John H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 07:49 AM   #6
Streamin'

1995 30' Cutter Bus LE
Madison , New Mexico
Our Boston has scared the stuff out of a couple of folks. If he sees someone walking across the front of our site he will jump up with his paws on the steering wheel. If the system is charged he really gets their attention.
BarnacleBill is offline   Reply With Quote