Old 01-08-2011, 02:45 AM   #1
International Grey Nomad

1999 35' Cutter Bus Diesel Pusher
Bulahdelah , NSW Australia
'99 Airstream Cutter OEM Shock absorbers

Getting a bit sick of the rear end wallow when getting off the smooth sealed surfaces - and especially when crossing parking lot speed bumps.

Thinking of trying something a bit better and want to arrange to get some shipped to me when I next go back to the US to resume our sightseeing - to Alaska this time.

Trouble is I don't know what shocks are on there at the moment and wonder if anyone here knows what they are - ID/part number - so I can find an equivalent. Maybe Koni despite the price, although happy to listen to anyone's experiences

It is on a Freightliner chassis VIV 4UZ6XJCA7XCF31140

Thanks

Tony

Old 01-08-2011, 12:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Tub City , British Columbia
Freightliner

Have you tried your local Freightliner dealer? They will have access to the line sheet data.
I don't think OEM in Jackson Center can help on the chassis parts.
Can you not ID the shocks visually? and then go to Bilstein for cross reference?

We have Bilstein shocks for the following 1999 FRGHTLNR/OSHKOSH truck models:

Choose your model: </B>
Note: If your model is not listed please e-mail us at info@AllShocks.com for further information. Some vehicles use different shocks depending on a number of criteria so it is easier for you to work with us to help you make your choice. Additionally, we are continually adding new product lines so check back regularly.

Dave

Old 01-08-2011, 12:19 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Cutter

Are you sure you are not looking for pontoons?
I hear you are "down under" water!

Dave
Old 01-08-2011, 01:16 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
Also, if you don't have a rear anti-sway bar, maybe you could look at getting one installed? That would certainly limit the amount and duration of roll, combined with new shocks.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:33 AM   #5
International Grey Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm View Post
Are you sure you are not looking for pontoons?
I hear you are "down under" water!

Dave

Yes, enjoying nice summer weather three hours north of Sydney unlike many others in the summer monsoon areas in the north of australia. One advantage to being full-time motorhomers is we can pack up and leave when summer comes and leave the poor permanent residents to endure the sweltering heat and humidity. We have the added advantage in being able to choose which country we want to escape the bad weather in.

Reason I can't eyeball the current shocks is that the Cutter is sitting in a yard in Lancaster CA waiting for me to come back and fire it up again. All the paperwork is sitting in the MH too
Not really a problem since I can wait until we arrive but last time I started looking for suppliers, I got tired of being told sorry, we don't handle anything that big/sorry can't do it for 5 weeks/...sorry, can't get that brand/ what!!/Yawn!/ sorry sorry,sorry - so as I do here with my vehicles, I'll get the components on-line and install them on the nice big concrete slab just across the road from the Lancaster Fairground.

Reading on RVNet forum it seems that KoniFSD are the flavour of the month although I'm a bit skeptical that they are value for money. I don't find even the worst deteriorated CA freeways all that bad (because I spend a lot of time in outback Australia where there are no roads) so I'm not after anything to stop the minor thump as you cross the road joints (and I doubt any shocks can do that anyway) but the way the coach rolls from side to side on minor bumps off-highway is amazing. I have a 1978 MCI tag axle coach as a motorhome here and that handles really bad washboard roads here like it was on rails in comparison to the Cutter. Mind you the Cutter does have some advantages that the MCI is lacking so I guess I can't have everything.

----------------------------

Choose your model: Thats the bit I need to figure out - what model freight liner. Be in my paperwork somewhere.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:48 AM   #6
International Grey Nomad

Ah, that list might help - 1 rear shock each side, no springs, air suspension so guess it is an X-line.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:09 AM   #7
Streamin'

1995 30' Cutter Bus LE
Madison , South Dakota
We put Monroe Shocks on our 1995 Cutter last year and it made a big difference.

I bought the coach with 73K miles and I am guessing we had the original shocks.

We used the GAS-MAGNUM® RV SHOCK ABSORBERS Monroe. I looked at the Bilstein replacements but after some research I went with Monroe.

Lancaster CA brings back some great memories. After you get the new shocks on you should take the rig out to the Lake and see what se will do.

Here’s a shot of us camped at my in-laws place near El Mirage Lake.

Pictures by B_llThompson - Photobucket
Old 01-09-2011, 11:44 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Tag Axle

[QUOTE=Tony Lee;935428]
I don't find even the worst deteriorated CA freeways all that bad (because I spend a lot of time in outback Australia where there are no roads) so I'm not after anything to stop the minor thump as you cross the road joints (and I doubt any shocks can do that anyway) but the way the coach rolls from side to side on minor bumps off-highway is amazing. I have a 1978 MCI tag axle coach as a motorhome here and that handles really bad washboard roads here like it was on rails in comparison to the Cutter. Mind you the Cutter does have some advantages that the MCI is lacking so I guess I can't have everything.

Tony
Your talking two different worlds here. Airstream/Freightliner is high quality, but can not compare with a 3 axle MCI or Prevost.
For service and repair on the Cutter chassis, you probably are better to stick to Freightliner, as they will have most parts in stock.
I believe the Cutter is not a raised rail chassis.
Not sure what is happening with your ride on the Cutter. We have the Clipper which is somewhat the same, but on a heavier chassis, and it rides nice, similar to any 2 axle Prevost or MCI that I have driven in past employment.
One thing I may suggest, is to make sure the air level valves are set properly as, if not set equal and at proper height, that might be the cause of your sloopy rear end.

Dave
Old 01-10-2011, 03:51 AM   #9
International Grey Nomad

I do tend to get in places where lots of normal people are loath to take a normal SUV let alone a fragile motorhome. Best way to get a good camping site.

One road that I shouldn't have followed my stupid TomTom down was Wards Ferry Road in CA (A shortcut apparently getting to Yosemite from the north). Anyone who knows it will agree that it really isn't a good place to take a large motorhome.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:59 AM   #10
International Grey Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnacleBill View Post
We put Monroe Shocks on our 1995 Cutter last year and it made a big difference.

I bought the coach with 73K miles and I am guessing we had the original shocks.

We used the GAS-MAGNUM® RV SHOCK ABSORBERS Monroe. I looked at the Bilstein replacements but after some research I went with Monroe.

Lancaster CA brings back some great memories. After you get the new shocks on you should take the rig out to the Lake and see what se will do.

Here’s a shot of us camped at my in-laws place near El Mirage Lake.

Pictures by B_llThompson - Photobucket
My OKA has those shocks and I recently replaced them because the desert washboard roads had one of them leaking a bit. They were 16 years old. (Got them on-line from the US at half the price of local suppliers). Made a huge difference to the ride so maybe putting them on tha airstream might freshen things up a bit at a fraction of the cost of KoniFSDs.

I'll have a look at the lake. Thought that there couldn't be anything worth seeing around there because we were asked a couple of times what on earth we were visiting Lancaster for.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:45 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Excella 1000
Spencerville , Maryland
So, whatever happened to your shock issue?
Old 08-25-2011, 01:17 AM   #12
International Grey Nomad

Did get around to changing them about 4 weeks ago. Because of a lot of messing around by one company, I ended up having to get a second company to sent to Anchorage and I installed them in a gravel pit on the way to Seward. Three were easy, but the bolt was frozen on one of the back ones and I had to use an angle grinder with a thin cutting disc to cut the bolt in two places.

Went with Bilstiens, same as original. Wallow amplitude is somewhat reduced, but most noticeable is that the number of cycles of wallow are reduced considerably.

I doubt whether anything is going to stop some fairly drastic movement when the back wheel drops down into a deep pothole but at least the feeling that just an inch deeper pothole and the rig would end up on its side has mostly gone.