Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Flat-Front (Cutter, Clipper, XC, XL & Skydeck) Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-06-2008, 07:11 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
1995 36' Cutter Bus LE
Largo, Florida , Florida
'95 36' Cutter rear bedroom liner hanging

Had a leak on rear driver's side where fiberglass roof seam meets side panel. Resealed and repaired exterior leak but interior roof liner became loose and is now hanging almost to the middle if the coach. Now no evidence of leak (dry) but it gets worse as we travel. Would like to fix and re-glue but concerned that glue will not adhere to the foam backing that has seperated from the liner. Anyone have any experience in solving like problem?
brodjeaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 07:20 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Byhalia , Mississippi
I saw a trailer with a similar problem that belongs to someone on the Forums, naturally I can't remember their name. Their ceiling material was re-attached with screws evenly spaced across the ceiling. Made it look like it was made that way, almost a tufted upholstery look. The screws were decorative with a white head that matched the ceiling material. I have no idea where the screws were purchased but I would think they would be fairly easy to find.

Hope this helps some.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:28 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
1995 36' Cutter Bus LE
Largo, Florida , Florida
Thanks Greg. Not knowing thickness of insulation and supporting construction concerns me as to length of upholstery screws needed?
brodjeaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 11:10 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Using the search tool, look up the problem using basic key words such as "droopy ceiling." You should find several threads that discuss the problem and various solutions. We used the screws and white screw covers already mentioned here, and while not perfect, the ceiling looks acceptable now. We used 5/8's, I believe, which worked perfectly. We had to do this in both the front living area and the back bedroom. This was not our original idea, but was suggested by another forum member with the droopy liner. Read through all the threads on this that you can find so that you have a good idea of the variety of solutions that have been used. Good luck, and keep us posted on your success. ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:10 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1995 30' Cutter Bus LE
Madison , South Dakota
I removed the vinyl headliner in our bedroom and painted the ceiling with a matching paint. I removed the foam residue and old water based glue using Goo Gone spray jell and a putty knife. I then applied a bit more Goo Gone and scrubbed a little with a green scrubby pad. After cleaning all that up, I wiped the luan with alcohol to remove any remaining residue. After that dried I painted the ceiling with Kilz odor-free primer and then rolled on a couple coats of the ceiling paint. I also ran a bead of caulk all around the edges of the room to make up for the small gaps at the lockers and J-track. The white trim piece across the ceiling neatly snapped back into it's track, finishing the project. The whole job took me just over a week of casual effort. A lot of powdery, smelly, and mouldy material went away with this job