Old 08-22-2016, 08:46 AM   #1
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
2016 clipper tour

Bev and I are on the road for the 2016 CLIPPER TOUR, and once again this is planned to be another 'All Canadian Tour'. This 2016 tour distance is expected to be 80 days and approximately 8000 miles.

Bev had never enjoyed any road tours in Canada as she had always enjoyed her winter holidays in the warmer climates of more southerly locations. [Florida Indian Rocks, Cuba, Dominion Republic, Punta tuna, etc.]

We loaded the CLIPPER with gear and water, and the trailer with grounds equipment, [Massey 10 and other ground engagement tools] and pulled out of our home base on Vancouver Island on Saturday, Aug. 6, at 2:30PM. We traveled east by BC Ferry through Tsawassann and overnighted day #1 at Hope, BC. Weather was not too hot, with some scattered cloud, as we travelled up the Fraser Canyon, for an early mid-day lunch at Husky in Cache Creek, BC. There are many areas of interest to stop along this route, and lots of history that one should try to be somewhat familiar with before travelling this area, just so one can appreciate the sacrifice previous generations made to make this area accessible.

On through metropolitan Kamloops, crossing the Thompson River and continuing north on #5 to a late afternoon meal at the Husky in Blue River, BC. The weather was still sunny and clear, and we thought we would continue on to Jasper for the night.

Our plan on a Jasper tour was changed shortly after we joined #16 at Tete Jaune Cache, for while travelling east on the YELLOWHEAD, with the strong evening sun on our backside showing the splendor of Mount Robson, we were halted for a three hour wait for the highway to be cleared of enough debris to allow one lane traffic to pass. [At the eastern end of the "RED PASS" on the YELLOWHEAD, a semi unit had tangled with a light vehicle]. As it was dark now the Jasper stop was irrelevant, so we elected to enjoy a clear and bright night cruise on into Hinton, Alberta, for night #3.

More on the 2016 CLIPPER TOUR to come!

[Pictures are so hard to post to this site now, you will have to Google the locations if you are interested. We once again have the three CLIPPER digital cameras recording all our travels and will eventually get some of these highlights posted to our UTUBE channel "MASSEYFARM'].

Dave and Bev

"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 12:57 PM   #2
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
2016 clipper tour

2016 CLIPPER TOUR

NOTE: Hinton was night #2 in the above post.

I will post some greater details of this tour at a later date, but for now just the basics.

Part 2

Monday Aug 8 2016. Morning in HINTON ALBERTA brings a strong sun to drive east into, so we relax to a liesurly breakfast before hitting the road east to Edson Alberta for another coffee and break. Mid day we are in the suburb of Saint Albert in Edmonton to fuel up and enjoy a late afternoon meal with old friends from RCAF days back in the 60's. [fuel 73.58 gal on 893 mountain miles = 12.14MPG. includes about 1 hour genset]]

Still hot and lots of daylight, and with heavy weather coming in behind us from the west, we elect to move on to the east, arriving in Lloydminster Saskatchewan a couple hours after dark for overnight #3.

Tuesday Aug 9 a light breakfast in Lloydminster SK, a coffee in Roblin Manitoba, overnight #4 in Yorkton Manitoba. An extensive heavy rain was welcome to wash the bugs off the front of the CLIPPER on our last few miles of this day.

Wednesday Aug 10 We are now in Parklands country and we make a stop in the interlake region for coffee, before we have lunch at Lundar Manitoba. A hot summer day makes it difficult driving after the mid day meal, but we carry on through Warren, and across the north of Winnipeg, out through Anola and Elma to enter the rock formations which signify we are leaving the prairie region and are about to cross the border into the north tourist country of Ontario. Late evening, we pull into Dryden Ontario for fuel top off, a sani dump and refresh of water and other supplies. [ This is the last reasonable price for a fuel stop till we get back to the larger communities of the south, so we top off here.] Night # 4 Dryden Ontario.

Thursday Aug 10. Northern Ontario is beautiful in its on right, but after a few trips through this way, it just becomes a long long drive. [There is no option of route from THUNDER BAY to NIPIGON] We stop for a stretch, coffee and a snack at Robins in IGNACE ON, and later supper at Husky in NIPIGON 0N, before finishing off a long day with a night drive in the light rain into HURST ON. Night #5.

Friday Aug 12. We are up with the sun and off to KAPUSKASING ON for breakfast and into COCHRANE ON late morning for some light shopping and bit more fuel to get us to the home farm. Refreshed somewhat, we now head southeast for coffee in DEEP RIVER ON, and we swing into the farm at KINBURN ON a few minutes to 9 PM to a warm welcome from Bev's MOM. Night #6.

Six days travel. total 147.5 Hours on the clock, 12.1 MPG, [includes genset time as we have boom docked every stop] and all we have to do on the CLIPPER is wash the windows. We were held up by three semi trailer accidents, one train wreck, many bridge renewal projects, but the only bad road was under construction from HURST to KAPUSKASING ON. Not much wildlife observed this trip as it was quite hot and dry over most of the run. From home we refreshed water and sani dump once at DRYDEN ON.

If you want a travelling unit, the CLIPPER has got to be the best designed and most efficient machine that was manufactured now over 20 years ago. AIRSTREAM made a bold move back in 1994-5-6 to design into and build their first big Class A Diesel Pusher. To bad the economy did not support the excellence of build and quality of ride and pride that AIRSTREAM put into this design at that time.

Dave

More on the 2016 CLIPPER TOUR to come!

"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
Old 10-07-2016, 07:47 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1995 36' Land Yacht Bus
Columbus , Ohio
Mpg

I am amazed you were able to get 12.1 MPG with the unit. Ours is the same drive train and unit and only gets about 9.0 or maybe 9.5 for runs of 100 miles or so. We did a single run of 850 miles and still only got about 9.5 but with the genset running the entire time. The temperature was between 75 at night and around 95 during the day during that one single non-stop run and we traveled at around 75 MPH the entire time. I am sure none of those factors contributed favorably to our MPG.

Thanks for the post.
Old 10-19-2016, 08:26 PM   #4
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Home again.
The all Canadian 2016 CLIPPER TOUR was completed a little after 8 PM yesterday, Oct. 18.

I will get some detail together as time permits, but we need to do a lot of catching up, (family and other) now that we are back at home base.

I have a few photos of the CLIPPER and the "all aluminium" Legend trailer on Instagram.

http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/...g?t=1476843128

http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/...g?t=1476843135

Picked up a Massey Ferguson 2400 with loader, while in the Ottawa Valley and had to purchase a larger trailer to get it, and the MF 10 back to the left coast.

The extra weight made the Cummins work a bit more on the return trip through the Rockies, but once again, the CLIPPER delivered the holiday experience one would expect from a quality machine.

(Notice the nice tumble weed we picked up on our run from Swift Current to Medicine Hat!)

Dave and Bev
Old 01-22-2017, 10:38 AM   #5
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Post #1 details some of our trip east from the Left Coast, back to the Capital, in mid August 2016.

Reviewing some of the ARC photos, and video cam from that trip just makes me want to hit the road again ASAP.

Here is a 3 min video of our CLIPPER approaching Mt. Robson, the most prominent mountain in the Canadian Rockies, as Bev and I travel east towards the Alberta border.

Dave

https://youtu.be/VCX2V-i2bGU