Old 06-17-2015, 09:07 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2005 39' Skydeck
Alameda , California
Yeah, I got my guy to do the porcelain toilet too ($200), it's $900 for the windshield. He is getting me a quote for the fogged windows, new batteries, repainting the silver, replacing the stained wall cloth, and fixing the step well cover that has to be pulled out to close.

We will get another mattress too, we have a guy in Arizona, can make any size, may have him make one slightly larger than Queen and extend the base for more sleeping space, removing one side cabinet.

How is your patio furniture? He had a guy that was gonna do it for $2500 (replacing the pads, and maybe fixing the motors) but he is now saying I should source it locally... Thinks it would be better to be artistic than cheap, not sure I agree.

I also have a bunch of annoying things that I guess I will fix as the years go by, sliding door not sliding, couch not bolted to slide, missing windshield fans, heck first thing I have to do is get a windshield TV as the one that was there is gone.

Are you going to keep the Interstate? Seems like it's new enough and you could still get much of your investment back by selling it. I was thinking of towing my Sprinter RV with the Airstream, my toad would be another RV! Could be used as a home office and as our touring vehicle while the Skydeck would be the home base. Leave it at annual flat-rate campsites while we take mini-tours of the surrounds.

-Randy

israndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 09:32 AM   #16
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
iarandy: I have never been in one of these, but did look at the specs closely over the years and suggest you put some camping and running time on this before making major changes. You don't have much storage,(with the stairs taking up some) for personal items and if you remove the bedside cabinet, you will have even less? Also, for engine access, the bed has to be raised. This can be done with the OEM mattress in place but, if you were doing major repairs, the OEM mattress can be stood up on end on the passenger side to allow more direct access to the front end, (fan end) of the Cummins or Cat.

There was a post on here recently, with photos, of a simple way to extend the bed. They made a 4" filler to go between the headboard and mattress for sleeping, and it could be pulled out and the mattress pushed back to original position for daytime use. (if anyone can repost that link, these guys might be interested?)

Another note is: I think the basement on the SKYDECKS was lowered somewhat to give the required clearance on top. You have not got as much room down there as some of the conventional units.

Again I suggest, you use it a bit to determine what your needs are. You SKYDECK owners have a unique unit that I hope you enjoy for many years.

Dave
[QUOTE=israndy;1638252
"We will get another mattress too, we have a guy in Arizona, can make any size, may have him make one slightly larger than Queen and extend the base for more sleeping space, removing one side cabinet."

"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 09:55 AM   #17
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
You lads have been looking at these more than me. The specs at one time said these SKYDECK were offered with a gasoline engine. Have you ever seen one? and if so what was it?
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 12:46 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2005 39' Skydeck
Alameda , California
All those I posted pics of (like EVERY Skydeck currently on the web) did not mention gas, but it could be done. The UFO chassis from 2008 was gasoline, mostly only see diesel pushers otherwise, but it could happen. I don't know that I would wanna push 27000 lbs with gasoline, but my current 10K lb Sprinter RV came in both a gas and diesel version, those mostly diesel in the states.

Is there an advantage to gas? Sure is expensive right now. And thanks for the other warnings, I'll check on the basement, but it is cavernous compared to the Sprinter. I was thinking how nice it would be to add that 396xl slide out so I have more hanging storage, but whatever I cannot get into the closets I'll hang in the stairwell

-Randy
Old 06-17-2015, 07:52 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2005 39' Skydeck 390 SD
Livingston , Texas
It is the same as a XL390. Yes space is an issue special for me as full-timer . I guess you always can use more space. There is storage possibility on the roof.
I will taking it to TX and establish my domicile then I am going back to Chicago to customize and put all our stuff in or as much as it will hold.
Yes I will miss my Interstate but it has to go and I will put it up for sale in a few weeks.
Peter
Old 06-17-2015, 11:41 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2005 39' Skydeck
Alameda , California
Very nice that you can go from a little Airstream Interstate to a huge Airstream Skydeck and not change manufacturers. Leisure Travel Vans who makes my Sprinter RV still makes nothing larger than my current RV. They make great weekend machines, maybe 10 days out. Would never want to full-time in one.

Cannot wait to get my hands on it. Especially nice to have a long drive home to play. Hope it doesn't break down. Looking forward to Airstream events too.

-Randy
Old 06-18-2015, 09:04 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2005 39' Skydeck 390 SD
Livingston , Texas
Mine is in the same area O'Fallon MO and I pick it up 6/22 need to put new tires on they are 10 years old.
Airstream does not make any big motorhomes anymore and Being member and want to stay member in WBCCI there is no choice. Still love the idea of the roof padio.
Peter
Old 06-18-2015, 03:02 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2005 39' Skydeck
Alameda , California
I still wonder where you found that one. I will be almost passing thru O'Fallon on my way from the airport to pick mine up. Longer drive home too.

The roof patio is bonkers, will need clean up, may restore the fabric or go all new up there. I previously mentioned doing fake grass up there, but the dealers here don't wanna talk to me about how to attach it so it doesn't blow away. Some sort of roofing adhesive. I also wanna buy a cabin cruiser style bimini top to go over the sun lounger in the back.

Click image for larger version

Name:	RA_bimini.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	241013

Something strong enough not to blow away if I leave it up, but folds flat when I wanna drive under a bridge.

-Randy
Old 06-18-2015, 03:48 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by israndy View Post
. I previously mentioned doing fake grass up there, but the dealers here don't wanna talk to me about how to attach it so it doesn't blow away. Some sort of roofing adhesive.
Attachment 241013

Something strong enough not to blow away if I leave it up, but folds flat when I wanna drive under a bridge.

-Randy
Fake grass you don't want, it heats up in the sun, has porous rubber(plastic) base which will hold water under it, mold could be a bigger problem.

I would look at completely synthetic carpet in a light shade to reflect heat.
Indoor-outdoor carpet adhesive should hold it down.
Bimini top needs about 6 points to mount securely, two for the frame and 4 for straps fore and aft. You will need to have a list of things to do before moving
Old 06-18-2015, 04:26 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1994 34' Limited
Round Rock , Texas
Nice looking RV. To remove the leftover wrap, 3M makes a decal removal wheel that doesn't remove the paint beneath it. Its actually an adhesive remover tool. You attach it to a drill, and its basically a big eraser. They are like $40 at the auto parts store. You can see examples of it working on youtube. I'd try that before repainting it.
Old 06-18-2015, 07:10 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2005 39' Skydeck
Alameda , California
Sweet!! Thanks you guys. I am so thankful I am on this board. I was REALLY not looking forward to getting all that adhesive off. Will it work with the 3M Invisible Bra too? Mine is SO cracked it's silly.

But now you have me curious about the fake grass. It heats up in the sun, I know, I have it at home. But it is not as hot as a solid plastic surface, the strands catch the wind and cool. Porus rubber will hold water, but not like a sponge, it actually lets the water flow thru to the surface below that is, probably, fiberglass. So the water should flow thru the grass and off the edge of the deck. Or be held in place until it dries. But it is outside so I don't think it will be too bad for mold as the sun beats down on it and then the rain flushes it out. I'll compromise and buy a section from Costco and use straps to hold down the small patch and see how it goes. Pull it up after a few months and see whats what.

-Randy
Old 06-20-2015, 08:42 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2005 39' Skydeck
Alameda , California
Peter, finally found it. I started a google search for skydeck and went thru EVERY entry before I found yours:

Click image for larger version

Name:	00404_8Jonfs6lIpH_600x450.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	241198
2005 Airstream Freightliner X-Line SkyDeck.pdf

Looks like you got quite a nice, move in ready unit. You got the small fridge with the pantry and the original TV that is missing from mine. We have the same bedroom TV, though I will be recycling that. You have carpet that I don't have, but I have always been happier with area rugs. Easier to clean.

I actually bought another motorcycle this morning at a local car auction that I hope to use strapped to the back of the Skydeck. Cannot wait to go and get mine, actually very jealous you are probably on your way to get yours now. I have the title on it's way so I will likely see that Monday so I can start having my guy do repairs on it.

-Randy
Old 06-21-2015, 07:01 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2005 39' Skydeck 390 SD
Livingston , Texas
Yes there is some work for me to do on it. Getting new TV's and getting ride of the carpet.
I was thinking also carry my motorcycle or just triple pull and adding s small trailer on my Honda Element I pull.
A lift is in the back is real expensive and I have a side car on mine.
I first get the SKydeck ready to keep the wife happy.
Peter
Old 06-21-2015, 01:57 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2005 39' Skydeck
Alameda , California
Yes a sidecar lift would be a bitch. Mine I already own and just need to add two more receivers to the hitch on the Skydeck. I used it to get the new bike home on my lowly Sprinter chassis yesterday. The Airstream will be SUCH a step up. I will likely tow and lift at the same time… Crazy. Though not as crazzzy as two trailers.

Tomorrow is your pick up day, you must be so excited!

-Randy