Old 04-30-2016, 12:54 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2005 39' Skydeck
Alameda , California
Ugly ugly ugly

Ok, got the tile up that was holding the plastic armrest in place and the small carpet piece that holds it to the folding table.

I removed much of the rotten wood from behind, also took off the window trim and removed the wall fabric back to the window curtains.

Also the OSB that is used above the metal and styrofoam structure and below the plywood flooring, it was rotted as far back as the passenger seat and the top of the stairs. Fortunately my tiles were not glued down, just clicked together and caulked to the plastic armrest. The plywood where the rot is were one off pieces that I just removed and will replace.

I need to cut out the OSB that is glued down, there is a seam that I can remove up to just before the seat. Going to use vice grips as the bolts holding the seat just spin, and then remove the nuts from the underside, fun.

Mostly the rot is on the luan, like the pieces behind the ceiling, but there was a couple of hefty pieces that felt like cotton they were so rotten that held the deadbolt mechanism in, centered in the second photo. There was also carpet pad on the floor under the armrest. Wonder if this RV had carpet once upon a time.

-Randy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1274.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	235.7 KB
ID:	261574   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1280.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	336.8 KB
ID:	261575  

Name:	IMG_1282.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	421.0 KB
ID:	261578  

israndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 11:35 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2005 39' Skydeck
Alameda , California
www.RotDoctor.com

OK, it was $80 for two quarts, but I hear really good things about using Clear Penetrating Epoxy Sealer. After I removed all the rotten wood, had to use a circular saw to get a good cleanish edge, I started repair.

Name:	IMG_1418.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	501.0 KB
ID:	262954

This is most of the wood pealed up, I have some detail work to do before I put the new wood down. I used the CPES along the edge and that should keep the wood from rotting any more. That slightly dark area is the last of the tarnished wood. I expect to use the same stuff, a 1/2" layer of OSB and a 1/2" of Plywood. To keep this from happening again I am going to use some CPES on the new wood too.

Fortunately the plastic and the foam that were over the wood are intact and can be reused. The tiles are click-lock, so if I can put them back in the same order they were it should look exactly the same when I am done, but with no more mold or smell.

Name:	IMG_1424.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	340.3 KB
ID:	262955

I am curious what to do about these. I guess they held the OSB in place, but so does the passenger chair. I don't know how to remove these, it's like they are welded in. I'll just have to notch the OSB before I put it down so it will lay flat. I may even drill a hole just a tad too small and force the wood over the mushroom tip. Hammers are the bomb.

-Randy

israndy is offline   Reply With Quote