Old 02-07-2013, 12:24 AM   #15
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Sounds good. Update any detail/techniques that you think might be useful to others when you get a chance. Unfortunately, these annoying incidents happen to new and old equipment. One must keep a close watch to try to minimize damage.

Dave

Old 02-10-2013, 09:40 PM   #16

1996 32' Cutter Bus
Petaluma , California
JosefZ,

Nice Airstream and nice Jeep! Although my roof was resealed by a respectable shop prior to purchasing my rig 2 years ago, this seasons rains exposed some of the problems that WILL occur if I don't get up there and inspect and repair damaged items on a monthly basis as Dave recommends (yes Dave, we do get a lot of rain, flooding and regular summer fires here in coastal California.... but not much snow).

I appreciate your pictures and narrative through this process. Although your rig looks new compared to mine, it's not getting any younger and I can see that if I ever upgrade to a newer Airstream pusher, there will always be a need for proper roof maintenance. I'm going through something similar right now and I'm going to order a new skylight this week to replace the aging one up there which is causing me a bit of leaking trouble right now. I replaced the Fantastik Fan last year and the front marker lights a few weeks ago with LED units. I'm also planning on replacing the A/C gaskets and shower vent fan while I'm up there.

Old 08-11-2015, 09:46 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2005 39' Skydeck
Alameda , California
I sent JosefZ a comment, hope he gets it. Hopefully this thread will be finished as I am up against this same issue and would love to see how the re-upholstery was done...

-Randy
israndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 10:21 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2005 39' Skydeck
Alameda , California
I did get a PM from JosefZ, he did not have pics of the repair. He advised that the triangle block of wood is simply pried up to get access to the screws that hold the cabinets. He also stated that he had found the original fabric but was traveling and would get back to me with updates when he was home. Have not heard anything else.

My fabric is MUCH worse off, both sides but I am getting no leaks currently so not sure what happened. Perhaps the leaks are so small the effect is only seen on days of rain, but I am looking and the cumulative damage of years now.

-Randy
Old 12-28-2015, 05:08 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2005 39' Skydeck
Alameda , California
Started raining, I have a problem here

Well, I have owned the RV since June. I didn't see any effects of the rain storm I drove thru on the way out. Then the RV has sat all summer. Suddenly it's winter and storms have started. I tried to tarp the RV but got a swimming pool on the roof of rain collected by the tarp.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0054.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	361.7 KB
ID:	254722

Dangerous amount of water weight, took hours to bail out. So I removed the tarp for the most recent rain. This time the water collected inside. Looks like I have a leak in the roof access, but I have others elsewhere. The leak on the roof access collects around the rim of the staircase. It then exits into the ceiling where the one ceiling piece was rotted.

Name:	IMG_0249.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	450.0 KB
ID:	254717 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0439.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	171.1 KB
ID:	254723

Hard to see in these photos. The soft touch vinyl is glued to luan plywood which is strong enough to hold the vinyl across the 8 foot expanse. There are clips that run across the RV to hold the luan tightly to the roof.

The water then dripped down the walls and on the floor. Took out my battery monitor and my roomba in the process.

Name:	IMG_0446.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	282.3 KB
ID:	254724 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0437.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	273.0 KB
ID:	254725

The crazy thing that I could not photograph was the water up front. This probably comes from the gutters running along the sides of the RV collecting the roof rain and depositing them above the door and the drivers window. This is also where the front cap meets the side wall. There is a little 3 inch piece that is riveted to the two pieces and seals it shut. I think mine is no longer sealed.

The stairs were completely wet inside and the vinyl below the DVD player was bulging holding 3 gallons of water. This photo sucks, but look at yours and see the difference. Yours is flat.

Name:	IMG_0449.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	280.1 KB
ID:	254726

Water was dripping thru the fan mount holes onto the dash and going down the heat duct. The water that made it to the floor from the roof access was going thru the passenger seat mount. The wood under that seat where you put your feet is also rotted. Looking into the generator area I could see water dripping in, probably from the dash or the entry stairs.

The fabric around the entry door where it is stained black was wet again, both over the door and under the little passenger window. I will likely have to take down the cabinets over the drivers seat to find the leaks there.

The roof access fix may simply be a matter of getting new gaskets, the D shaped gasket peals and sticks to the door, and more automotive gasket shaped like a U with an O attached clips to the surround. It's not a big leak, but it was raining for days. Need to take up the grey trunk cloth to see how much damage it's doing around the top of the staircase.

I planned to do a greenhouse style tarp over the RV to keep the rain out, using plastic pipes to form the structure that drains off the sides of the RV. But now it's snowing on the RV. Not sure how to support that weight...

-Randy
Old 12-28-2015, 07:43 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2005 39' Skydeck 390 SD
Livingston , Texas
Had mine sit in TX for 5 weeks also have leaks on the roof access and on the window.
Peter
Old 12-29-2015, 07:38 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2005 39' Skydeck
Alameda , California
Are you living in it or it's being repaired? It is definitely the rainy season. Hope to have this figured out before the season ends.

-Randy
Old 12-29-2015, 10:30 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2005 39' Skydeck 390 SD
Livingston , Texas
I am full time in it just took a trip yo Europe for 5 weeks.
There was heavy rain in the Hillsboro area. I saw some leaking in this area before it is right in the front outer corner of the stair cover. Not easy to get there as there is not much space between the stair cover and the outer raised panel.
I had Jackson Center give me a price on redoing the roof $3,500 they come up with not sure what it all includes seams low to do it proper and remove all the seating and covered.
I also noticed a leak in front when I driving in the rain.
Peter
Old 12-30-2015, 12:24 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

2002 39' Land Yacht XL 330 hp w/slide
Los Osos , California
Smile Wallcovering Retailer

I just found my invoice for my interior wall fabric. It is the rune colored heiroglyphic. I purchased a tube of fabric from Silent Source in Mass. Website is silentsource.com.
Old 12-30-2015, 02:05 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

Los Osos , California
Thumbs up Roof Repairs for my 390XL

I no longer have a leak problem. My leak was on the curbside, but am convinced that it was because of a failed seal around the air horn. It migrated along the cap-body seam. I have since replaced my clearance lights with teardrop led clearance lights. Also replaced my spotlight as the original wouldn't rotate any longer. I used geocel proflex to seal the clearance light holes, and used Dicor lap sealant for the spotlight. Dicor lap sealant is amazing stuff. Once it sets you can paint it. I did use 4" eternabond tape to cover the cap seam. I also re-riveted my entire rain gutter, and placed spouts at the ends to keep dripping away from the roadside window and curbside wall. In order to access the cap from the inside I had to remove my frontmost ceiling panel.

I redid the wall fabric as follows:
Ordered new fabric from Silent Source: Acoustic Foam, Acoustical Soundproofing Materials, Whisperwedge, Materials, Acoustical Panel, Profoam, Tecnifoam, Fireflex, and more. I found foam backing from a local fabric store. The wallcovering has an adhesive backing that allows you to iron it to the foam. I the cut the fabric to match my old stained fabric. I used 3m spray glue and applied to the wall panel and foam side of my wall covering. I then secured the material to the wall. I let set for a couple of days, the replaced all of my cabinetry and window dressing.

It looks great, and I'm confident that I'll be leak free for a while.
Old 04-16-2016, 01:10 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2005 39' Skydeck
Alameda , California
Following in your footsteps

I decided to start taking the stenchy moldy part of the RV apart. I couldn't figure out how to remove the panel from above the passenger seat. I knew I had to get the curtain down so I started there, and probably should have gotten a case to keep all the screws organized.

Name:	IMG_0662.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	259.3 KB
ID:	260835

There are two screws at the top but that is all I could see. Removed the screws, but it wouldn't budge

Name:	IMG_1092.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	239.1 KB
ID:	260832

I have an iPhone and an Apple Watch so I started using the remote viewfinder and stuck the phones camera behind the wood:

Name:	IMG_1048.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	160.7 KB
ID:	260836

So that's how the side piece is hooked to the front, but what's holding the cover in place. Oh, right, finishing nails... Same as the crown molding I had to remove to get to the microwave.

Name:	IMG_1089.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	242.0 KB
ID:	260831

Behind the cover is a square piece of wood with screws into each side, so I undid one side.

Name:	IMG_1093.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	284.7 KB
ID:	260833

It's hard to see but behind the solar shade there are three more screws holding the fixture up. Be smart and leave the lamp on when you take the fixture down, I unscrewed mine but I still had to cut the wire to get the fixture to the floor and when I did the lamp fell to the floor and cracked the lens of course.

Name:	IMG_1095.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	167.4 KB
ID:	260834

So now I have the side piece off and can get to the fabric and the wood behind. Gonna be doing some replacing of rotted wood, in the ceiling as well.

Name:	IMG_1097.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	254.9 KB
ID:	260837
Click here to zoom, it's worth it

At least I have it open now and can start cleaning up the mold. I am going to have to replace several of the wooden pieces, but it looks like simple 1/2" plywood. When it rains next weekend I can follow the drip to it's source and get that patched.

I plan on replacing the fabric that is practically black with some paneling that matches the stairs since I have been unable to find the matching fabric. I may yet have to replace the rest of the fabric, but it's early days yet. I hear good things about using a carpet steamer.

-Randy
Old 04-17-2016, 12:14 AM   #26
1 Rivet Member

Los Osos , California
390XL fabric

Randy, I was able to find my fabric at silentsource.com. If you check my earlier post I describe how I replaced the damaged fabric. The fabric used for my 2003 was Guilfords of Maine, I believe. If you go to the website you can select from the many Guilford of Maine patterns.

http://silentsource.com/guilford-of-maine-color-chart/

Good luck.
Old 04-17-2016, 12:21 AM   #27
1 Rivet Member

Los Osos , California
Wall Fabric

I went to both silentsource.com and guifordsofmaine.com. They don't make my fabric anymore. Randy, if by chance your pattern is rune hieroglyphic I have some, not sure how much but can measure if that's what you need.
Old 04-17-2016, 10:01 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2005 39' Skydeck
Alameda , California
Wow! 7 minutes to do the research. Yes I discovered a LONG time ago, when you first suggested that info that they no longer have it.

I am going to have to waste a lot of fabric, but it would be nice to be original. The spot I need to replace is over the door and the first window, so cutting out that much material. For now I am more focused on getting the fiberglass armrest off which means removing the tile and it will all be easier if I remove the passenger seat which is bolted down with bolts bigger than what sockets I have.

-Randy