Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2019, 06:41 AM   #1
Tim Eagle

1995 31' Land Yacht
Sandusky , Michigan
Send a message via MSN to tmeagle1
Winterizing and Irish Spring Soap

I don't know if it's beginners luck or whether Irish Spring (original) actually works. I winterized, here in Michigan's nasty winter weather, back in the end of September. I typically use bounce and nothing else to deter mice. In this video I show the use of Irish Springs and so far, knock on the plastic screen I'm typing on, there have been no signs of rodents. I've placed the soap on small disposable plates in the basement, in nooks and crannies as well as the bounce. So far, I'm impressed and I'll be the first to announce if the soap does not work! If anyone's interested they can take a look at my winterization techniques here: The MOTHERSHIP Winterized! and be sure to give me tips on what I didn't cover or whether I missed something, lol, I'm far from perfect. While you're there, and if you're interested in the trials, tribulations and travel life (coming soon, I promise) in the Class A Airstream Land Yacht, be sure to subscribe, we can always use feedback and new users. Thanks.

Tim Eagle

Dark Nest Travels : Blog (if you'd rather read our ramblings and history)
tmeagle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 07:51 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
we use electronic and gas operated kill traps along with irish spring.

no mice or squirrels yet this winter

we use this and bate outside
https://www.automatictrap.com/
waninae39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 09:29 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
My first travel trailer the mice made nests out of the bounce sheets and the Irish spring soap did nothing. Same for the moth balls. All nothing but old wives tales.
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 09:36 AM   #4
Tim Eagle

1995 31' Land Yacht
Sandusky , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by gator.bigfoot View Post
My first travel trailer the mice made nests out of the bounce sheets and the Irish spring soap did nothing. Same for the moth balls. All nothing but old wives tales.
I hope that's not the case for our Mothership...lol. I have read on a blog somewhere that certain species of mice eat the soap, maybe that species does not live here at our Dark Nest in Michigan.

Tim

Old 01-23-2019, 09:40 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2023 27' Globetrotter
Pleasant Garden , North Carolina
We use Irish Spring to keep the deer out of our flower beds. They won't eat our hosta with the IS around. Never tried it in our AS though.
jlandreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 10:26 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Oak Creek , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmeagle1 View Post
I hope that's not the case for our Mothership...lol. I have read on a blog somewhere that certain species of mice eat the soap, maybe that species does not live here at our Dark Nest in Michigan.

Tim
I'm in Michigan & the mice here make nests from bounce & kick mothballs out of their way.
The soap I don't know about.
Hope you find a cure.
Dingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 10:30 AM   #7
Tim Eagle

1995 31' Land Yacht
Sandusky , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo Girl View Post
I'm in Michigan & the mice here make nests from bounce & kick mothballs out of their way.
Hope you find a cure.
So far, so good, the proof is in the pudding...er...soap come spring time when it's time release the beast into travel. Lol

Old 01-23-2019, 10:45 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo Girl View Post
Hope you find a cure.
There's only one cure and that is find out where they are getting in and plug the hole. Two years ago I had them move in while camping. They ate all of the tassels off of the factory pillows and made nests in the couch arm rest. They destroyed a lot of food. This was especially annoying since I was 2 hours from civilization boondocking. An hour drive down a lousy dirt road. I had no choice but to make the trip and get traps. I eventually caught one, but there was still activity and never caught another. I found a hole where the AC discharge line went through the floor and the grommet fell out. I plugged it with one of those stainless scouring pad things. That's all I had. I had to put all of the food in the shower and store the pillows elsewhere. Now I made a couple of mice proof cupboards and I check the entire trailer before going out on a trip. They will eat right through plastic storage containers so don't think that they will help. I have had them eat right through plastic spice containers as well. Very little will keep them out. You have to just keep "plugging" away until you stop them. A hole larger than a pencil will let them in.
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 10:47 AM   #9
Tim Eagle

1995 31' Land Yacht
Sandusky , Michigan
Quote:
There's only one cure and that is find out where they are getting in and plug the hole. Two years ago I had them move in while camping. They ate all of the tassels off of the factory pillows and made nests in the couch arm rest. They destroyed a lot of food. This was especially annoying since I was 2 hours from civilization boondocking. An hour drive down a lousy dirt road. I had no choice but to make the trip and get traps. I eventually caught one, but there was still activity and never caught another. I found a hole where the AC discharge line went through the floor and the grommet fell out. I plugged it with one of those stainless scouring pad things. That's all I had. I had to put all of the food in the shower and store the pillows elsewhere. Now I made a couple of mice proof cupboards and I check the entire trailer before going out on a trip. They will eat right through plastic storage containers so don't think that they will help. I have had them eat right through plastic spice containers as well. Very little will keep them out. You have to just keep "plugging" away until you stop them. A hole larger than a pencil will let them in.
Great advice @gator.bigfoot!

Old 01-23-2019, 05:46 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2009 30' Classic
a city in west GA , Georgia
These GA nice day our soap. We tried this trick someone told us about. Two different bars both chewed on day after day. Caught the mice on gluetraps eventually after the bar was visited for a week.
Joyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 05:56 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Old 01-24-2019, 09:57 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2017 20' Flying Cloud
austin , Texas
Had a mouse in the house chewing through anything plastic (containers, comb, hair care products), various brands of soap, prescription ointments, and everything in the pantry except for glass. Finally had a professional come out since I didn't want to deal with any type of trap.
ejami5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 03:25 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
West Liberty , Kentucky
We have used Fresh Cab packets for several years and so far no beasts. We put 3 packets in our 31 ft. They are available at Tractor Supply;y, Amazon and other places.
Air4563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 03:35 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1969 29' Ambassador
Macomb , Illinois
Mice

Brought home a 1969 Ambassador in September. Cab Fresh worked for 4 months. The gallon jug with water trapped 4 adult mice the last week of December. Water froze and I am switching to new Cab Fresh and solar rope lights inside. Mice continue to be a challenge until the belly pan is back.
Good luck and perseverance
Linda
DntheRoad69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 03:42 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1969 29' Ambassador
Macomb , Illinois
These threads have been so helpful as work on Down the Road. Thank each of you.
Linda
DntheRoad69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 03:43 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
I’ve got a bunch of dcon mouse bait poison all throughout the airstream. It’s all in the spots that are only reachable by humans so my dog can’t get to it. I also use those bait stations that have a plastic cover to prevent pets from eating it. No action so far.
Kanusport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 07:51 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:
Our experiences as well in this part of the country ... as I was under the cabinet and saw the mouse eyeing me from just behind the dryer sheet.
Spring traps and peanut butter work best for us ... and a cat inside where the AS is stored.
The spring traps are cheap insurance ... suggest to not rely on soap or dryer sheets ... you might just be disappointed and have considerable expense getting the mouse smell / debris / damage addressed. When mice die from various poisons, they can travel over / around barriers to some distance from where they were poisoned ... found by other animals and the poison then enters the food chain again. Look at what DDT and 2-4-D did to our raptor population a few years back!
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 03:58 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Oak Creek , Colorado
My method to rodent control was to first move them all out. Then I made aluminum covers for anywhere that they could get in.
The new belly pan helped seal up some gapping holes too.
I made covers for the tongue of the trailer & for the slots for the step.
I watched chipmunks go up the safety chains & into the A frame then home free!
Dingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 04:45 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
2018 Atlas
Floyd , Virginia
Mice

We have been very fortunate we use peppermint oil you have to use 100% oil on cotton balls placed at various places, protected my Liberty for 5 years and same with the Classic for 2 years so far very good results, labalope
labalope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 05:02 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Franklin County , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanusport View Post
I’ve got a bunch of dcon mouse bait poison all throughout the airstream. It’s all in the spots that are only reachable by humans so my dog can’t get to it. I also use those bait stations that have a plastic cover to prevent pets from eating it. No action so far.
Be aware mice can relocate the poison to other areas. Mice carried a pile of it inside my toolbox from another location. This happened more than once.
AI927 is offline   Reply With Quote