Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-22-2008, 02:02 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2003 31' Land Yacht 30
New Bern , North Carolina
Winterising Help

I hoping someone with a 30 ' Land Latch can help me with the water valves under the bed. I'm trying to determine which valve to turn on or off to enable me to push pink stuff thru the lines. Obviously I'm not doing the corrtect things. I did close the water heater bypass. I pushed in a gallon and I don't see anything coming out of either faucet. I'm thinking it's going into the main water tank only. Appreciate help and guidance. Thanks.
Steve
spat61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 09:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Not sure if my info will help (mine is a '94LY). First, open a faucet and blow air into the street water connection. This will clear that one foot or so of pipe to the water pump. My water pump is located under one of the dinette benches. There should be a Y valve there that will allow you to attach a short piece of clear plastic tubing into a jug of potable antifreeze. Then your pump does the job of drawing the antifreeze throughout the system. The only other thing is to bypass and empty the hot water tank. There are 2 steps here: first, there is a combination of 3 plastic valves - one one the inlet, one on the exit and one on the bypass. Make sure the inlet and exit valves are closed and the bypass is open. (The bypass is a short pipe with a valve that connects between the cold water supply and the hot water outlet of the hot water tank. Then you have to drain the hot water tank. This is accomplished by removing the cap on the outside at the bottom of the tank. What I have done, and I recommend, is to replace that plastic cap with a brass one that has a small brass drain cock. This makes the annual winterising much easier. So with the drain cock open, release (open) the pressure relief valve on the top of the tank - the water should drain out. Don't worry if there is a 1/2 inch of water left in the tank - it won't be a problem.

Pump the "pink stuff" through your system, going from one faucet to another. Make sure that all the pipes are filled by making sure that you have pink stuff coming out. As well, make sure it runs through the toilet (those valves can be a costly proposition if they are cracked by water trapped in there freezing. Make sure it flows though the shower, and that you have poured some in every drain.

I've followed this routine with my '94LY and RV's that I had before without an incident. I found that the first time I did it to any rig it took considerable time, as I had to remove the caps and put in the drain cocks, as well as methodically figure out where things were. For subsequent years, the whole task takes about a 1/2 hour.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 05:10 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Oakland County , Michigan
Nice reply, but do you first open your drain valves and blow out as much water as possible by attaching an air hose to the city water inlet? And how can I be sure that my clear water tank is fully empty? I have a 2005 LYG 30' w/ slide, and the drain for the clear water tank is on the drivers sidewall of the tank, at the bottom, middle of the tank. And it does not look like it would completely drain the tank, so I have been putting about a gallon of pink stuff in there just to be sure. It's a bear to clear that out in the spring.
Michigander is offline   Reply With Quote