Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-03-2016, 10:45 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
1972 23' Safari
2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Georgetown , Texas
Wineguard RoadTrip MiniMax Satellite Antenna

My 2005 Land Yacht has the Winegard in Motion Satellite Antenna and was used by the previous owner. I'm now ready to switch my home service to Direct TV since we are spending months instead of weeks in the MoHo. Anybody else have any issues with the 2005 era dish with today's DirectTV. Will I have to purchase any other hardware if I use it at home and on the road? I want to be able to use it on both my TV's, bedroom and living room in the Airstream.
Thanks,
Ken
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0313.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	337.5 KB
ID:	272777  
kenajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 11:37 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Did the PO have DirecTV? If not, make sure that the dish can be set for DirecTV. I have the old Winegard automatic (fixed, not in motion) dish on my 2002. It was set for Dish Network, but I got on the roof, opened a cover, and changed some switches so it would go to the DirecTV satellite. It sometimes will not lock on the satellites and stop searching, but when I see strong signals I cancel the search and it works fine.

That dish, if it works with DirecTV, will not get HD.

You will need one or more receivers that are not GENIE. The GENIE series of DirecTV receivers only work with the new SWM dishes. The only DirecTV antenna that has a SWM is not in motion capable.

I have an H-24 receiver that I bring from home. I was told by DirecTV that I could take one of the receivers from the house and put it into the trailer. The older receivers put out an SD signal modulated on Channel 3 or 4 which was wired back into the trailer/moho cabling and it could be seen on all TVs in the unit. I don't think the current ones do that and my H24 does not. If you want to watch satellite on both TVs you will either have to get a modulator and wire it in to the composite outputs from the H24 and back into the moho cable or put a separate satellite receiver at each TV. This will take some reconfiguration of the cable wiring in the unit, but is not impossible to do.

Sorry for the fire hose approach, but there are several issues to be resolved to answer your question. I'm in the process of writing up an article describing how I did my setup. I'll look back here and post a copy when done.

Or you could just spend $1400 and get the DirecTV HD automatic antenna. I didn't think HD was worth that much.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 10:06 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
OK, slight distraction from a hurricane, but I got the write-up finished as I completed my planning for what I was going to do.

Here is what I did:
Updating the Satellite TV in my 2002 Classic 30.pdf

Al
Old 10-06-2016, 10:11 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
The last I saw, if you switch, you may NOT get HD transmission with Direct .
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 08:15 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
1972 23' Safari
2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Georgetown , Texas
Al,
Thanks so much for all you effort! This will be a great help in my decision. The previous owner had Direct TV and made quite a few notes on his wiring etc. I'm not to concerned about SD in the MoHo although my TV's are upgraded HD etc. My dilemma is I'm a retired engineer from AT&T and they have been promising a concession discount to retired managers since their purchase of Direct. This has been going on for well over a year, I'm tired of waiting to make the leap from Uverse at home to satellite. I'm still considering Dish, the discount may never materialize.
Thanks again for your input!
I was monitoring the ARES Net on 20m last night for your area, best of all to you and your family and property.

Ken / AC8AV
kenajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 01:52 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Burlington , Vermont
Direct TV Winegard HD SWM antenna for sale

Direct TV Winegard HD SWM antenna for sale. If you are interested I have the above antenna two years old in excellent condition for sale on craigslist Vermont check it out and get back if you're interested
cjhockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 02:00 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenajen View Post
Al,
Thanks so much for all you effort! This will be a great help in my decision. The previous owner had Direct TV and made quite a few notes on his wiring etc. I'm not to concerned about SD in the MoHo although my TV's are upgraded HD etc. My dilemma is I'm a retired engineer from AT&T and they have been promising a concession discount to retired managers since their purchase of Direct. This has been going on for well over a year, I'm tired of waiting to make the leap from Uverse at home to satellite. I'm still considering Dish, the discount may never materialize.
Thanks again for your input!
I was monitoring the ARES Net on 20m last night for your area, best of all to you and your family and property.

Ken / AC8AV
Thanks Ken. We bugged out to our place in NC Wednesday, so have been watching and trying to get some data on conditions back home. We live in the barrier island and they just opened the causeways this afternoon but still no power.

My father-in-law was a long-time Western Electric Engineer and member of Pioneers. I was a Co-Op at the Southeast Engineering Center in Atlanta and then Sandy Springs in the 60's.

Al
Old 10-08-2016, 08:57 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Camarillo , California
Directv

Don't bother with the HD Trav'ler from DIRECTV. It's slower to setup each time you stop than the SD dome, more inclined to break because of exposure to natures elements, the SD picture is almost as good as HD, the HD boxes cost more monthly than SD, and the Trav'ler consumes more power when boondocking.
loft47 is offline   Reply With Quote