Old 03-07-2016, 07:33 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2002 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel 300 hp w/2slides
LIVINGSTON , TX
What's The Common Denominator (Electrical)

We recently bought an '03 Land Yacht DP MH and I going nuts trying to find where I might be losing 12 volts and there MUST be a common denominator but I can't find it on the schematics.
The following items do not work - have no power
large dining slide, map lights, aisle lights, dash radio, cigarette lighter, the generator compartment light. There may be more that I haven't found yet. I figure that there must be a fuse or one wire that's been pinched, but haven't found it yet.
If I was to call Jackson Center, would anyone at Airstream help me by knowing the schematics and where to find connectors or would they just tell me to take it to a dealer?
Any advice is appreciated.

herbsells@gmail.com
baldwinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 08:53 PM   #2
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Have you checked the fuses in the distribution box? On my CLIPPER, most of the house fuses are located in the distribution box at the foot of the bed. Yours may be different. Seems to me they moved it to the compartment in front of the drivers side wheel?

On reading you post again, the dash lights, cigarette lighter, etc, on mine is fused through the chassis automotive fuse box located within my center console. That will be the same area as you signal flasher is located. Listen of it and check with a test light, pull and insert every fuse in that panel to make sure you have clean solid connections.
https://www.airstream.com/wp-content...-MH-manual.pdf

Dave

"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 09:20 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Byhalia , Mississippi
Herb, you have fuses in the street side front compartment, in the battery control center box which is just above the inverter ( curb side second door from the rear) and one or two that come directly off of the chassis batteries. If this does not help, post again, we can all think out loud!
Old 03-07-2016, 09:22 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Byhalia , Mississippi
Forgot to mention, we have the same green color!
Old 03-08-2016, 07:54 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

LIVINGSTON , TX
Dave and Greg,

Thanks so much for the quick response. I will check the fuses first. Yes mine has a road-side under driver seat compartment and a curb-side rear basement compartment, but hadn't opened either of those yet. We just bought it late fall 2015 and it's been in storage. Just been doing reading of the schematics, but will dive in to those boxes soon. Then if I DO find a blown fuse we'll hope that the replacement doesn't blow when I put it in or then I've got a short somewhere. Oh well, let's hope for the best and I'll let you guys know what I find.
Thanks again
herbsells@gmail.com
Old 03-09-2016, 08:26 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

LIVINGSTON , TX
Dave and Greg, wanted to give you both an update. Thanks for the link to the manual. I found one blown 15 amp fuse in the drivers road side compartment and another blown fuse in the Intellitec power cabinet in the curbside compartment above the inverter. These two fuses have now restored power to: cigarette lighter, aisle lights, basement compartment lights, map lights, and dash radio. The previous owner "hotwired" the common contact on the dining slide in-off-out rocker switch to a new wire that connected to a cigarette lighter plug. He would plug it in and then actuate the switch. The slide motor and such all works, just does not get power from the original wire. I reconnected that wire today and still no work, so I have to see where that wire comes from and why it's not getting power. With your help, we're on the way to getting ALL these problems solved. Thanks again for your help. I'll keep you posted.
herbsells@gmail.com
Old 03-09-2016, 08:49 PM   #7
Airstream Rookie

2005 31' Classic
Anywhere , Everywhere
I love this type of troubleshooting. Awesome.
Old 03-10-2016, 06:09 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Byhalia , Mississippi
Glad it helped. Here is another tibit that will likely come in handy at some point. When your 120 volt outlets stop working and the breakers at the foot of the bed aren't tripped, check the inverter, right side. You will find 2 breakers built into the side of the inverter that control the outlets.

Safe travels
Old 04-01-2016, 06:20 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

LIVINGSTON , TX
Greg, while de-winterizing our rig in preparation for our trip west (leaving tomorrow), I had an opportunity to get into the kitchen cabinet and see the back side of the water heater. I saw the white (cold) and red (hot) Pex pipes coming in and out, but also saw two black rubber hoses as well, both down at the bottom of the heater. Is this a "on the road" heater bringing radiator fluid into a closed loop inside the water heater? I've read about this type of system on other sites, but had no idea our coach had this feature. Does yours have this as well? I didn't see any reference to it in the Airstream owners manuals I have.
herbsells@gmail.com
Old 04-01-2016, 08:43 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Byhalia , Mississippi
You are correct Herb, engine coolant heats the water in the tank as you drive. It is listed on our AS invoice and includes the word "motoraid". I do not recall seeing it in the manual now that you mention it. Have a safe trip and enjoy the ride.
Old 04-11-2016, 02:01 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Ft. Lauderdale , Florida
Mine is little older than your 2003 but understand that all of the diesel pushers had this feature as standard equipment. I found it listed on the original build sheet from Airstream but there is not much about it in the manuals.
Old 04-11-2016, 10:05 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1994 35' Land Yacht Diesel
Franklin NC , North Carolina
Engine provided hot water

It's a great feature when you travel day after day. Always warm water for hand washing without having to fire up the propane water heater. Our previous classic GMC had it with a gas motor. Such a simple thing to put in an RV, it's a crime they all don't have it.
Old 04-12-2016, 06:20 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

LIVINGSTON , TX
Yes, hot water on the go has been great. We are currently in Pecos, TX as we left Ohio on April 1st, heading to San Diego and back home by May 1st. So having instant hot water to wash up after stopping along the way for lunch has been a nice feature.
You can check out our blog of our trip at www.herbbaldwin.wordpress.com

herbsells@gmail.com