Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2012, 07:49 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Second choice: denatured (not rubbing or drinking) alcohol ...
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:42 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1993 33' Land Yacht
Midland , Michigan
My fiberglass roof is beginning to break down. When I sweep the roof I get a cloud of sparkling glass floating around for a few minutes. .[/QUOTE]

I'am curious about your fiberglas roof breaking down. Before I bought my 1993 33' LY it was always stored outside. The roof looked pretty bad, almost black in color. I power washed it, and I could see some sparkle of what I believe was fiberglas fiber,but everything was solid. The owner manual recommends periodic waxing. that what I've been doing and the roof looks great. I thought I read somewhere about these roofs not needing a full coating of any type, or that it wasn't recommended to do so. Here is a picture of my roof.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1891.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	215.1 KB
ID:	172930   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1892.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	179.1 KB
ID:	172931  

https://s1290.photobucket.com/user/gl...58808196506793
gloran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:05 PM   #23
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Looking good. You are fortunate to have inside storage for that baby. It saves a lot on maintenance.

Dave

"Here is a picture of my roof."
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:31 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1994 35' Land Yacht Diesel
Franklin NC , North Carolina
Roof Coating

I use the white "Elastomeric" rubberized coating. I bought a 5 gallon bucket and I've done our 35' Land Yacht twice and our 20' enclosed car trailer twice also in the last 8 years. Still have enough to do them again.
First time the Land Yacht took about 1.1 gallons and less the second time.
Great stuff!! It's bright white reflects the summer sun and made a noticeable difference in the heat from summer sun. So far, the original taped edges have stayed in good shape. (But we keep it inside when not in use)
Old 11-20-2012, 08:19 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1993 33' Land Yacht
Midland , Michigan
Paul, did you just clean your roof with TSP and then apply directly on fiberglas?
I used the Elastomeric also but just seams, vents, skylights etc. Seems to be holding up well, I just bought a gallon tape off and double coat every couple years. Never thought how doing the whole roof would help with reflecting heat better, I guess because it being white already.

i

https://s1290.photobucket.com/user/gl...58808196506793
gloran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:44 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Dobbin View Post
I use the white "Elastomeric" rubberized coating.
What brand of coating did you use?

I've found that not all "Elastometic" products are the same and only one is a true liquid EPDM rubber. Home Depot sells one made by Gardner called Sta-Kool for $73 for a 4.75 Gallon bucket. The one thing I'm concerned about is, will it work on a fiberglass roof and for how long. I know that the Liquid Rubber EPDM coating is designed to work on fiberglass, but I almost never see anyone else advertise that it will work on fiberglass as well.

Any input would be greatly appreciated since I'm planning to do a roof coat in the spring. The liquid rubber would cost around $300 for 5 gallons while the Home Depot product would only cost $73 so it's hard to believe that they're anywhere close to the same. I really don't want to have to reapply it every couple years or so.
92landyacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:23 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

Roof Coatings

Agreed, not all Elastomeric coatings are equal. While not an expert on anything, I can tell you I've been happy with this one. LANCO
See:http://www.lancopaints.com/english/products/4.3_elas_latex_roof_coating.html
I re-coated mine because it was not white enough after several years and I always heard an ounce of prevention with Jack Daniel was a good idea.
(Or something like that) I'm a believer in the idea of reflecting the sun's heat does more for keeping cool in the summer than a bigger A/C.
I hope my 5 gallon bucket did not freeze and loose its adhesion or the past 4 years.
I don't remember the cost, but I know it was not $300 and could have come from a big box store.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:34 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
OK, so which of the six products displayed did you use?
92landyacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:28 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

roof coating

I wanted a coating to seal, protect and reflect. This one did all three.
I recoated it, not do to leaks or poor adhesion, but because my roof got dirty from rain and air polution. (It stuck to everthing! the pebble grain roof, the seams, and the fiberglass) I didn't by some special expensive cleaner, I washed it good with soap & water, let it dry and then coated it all.
I've givien the name and the web site and I've moved on. It works for me
and I would hope it would work for you too. I'll use it again if I think it's dirty or drying out.
Now I think I'm ready to hit the road and enjoy this old coach again.