Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2011, 05:06 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
What brakes?

What type of front brake was used on a 92 36' landyacht? I'm needing to replace the front pads and calipers and need to know what type they are. The P30 used several types so I'd like to narrow it down.
92landyacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 07:39 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
I don't understand why knowone knows anything about this. I just need to know if the brakes are a pin type or slide type. Seems to me like this forum is going dead. Not trying to PO anyone here, but it would seem like this would have been a pretty common question.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:55 PM   #3
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Best to pull them out, and take with you to the parts house.
Most will look up the MH chassis, P30 P31 whatever it takes, and match to what you have.
Should not be a big problem, as these are used in many types of trucks.
1972 Argosy 24'...
1954 Feathercraft Vagabond
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 06:36 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Ya, I was just wanting to order the parts first. I only have one day (Sunday) to do the work since I'm working until 6:00pm 6 days a week. I was planning on picking up the hoses, rotors, pads and calipers before hand to make sure I had everything to do the job. To complicate things I only have a Pepboys and Autozone near me. Neither have personnel that are too intelligent. I seem to always have to explain to them what the part is or just give them the part number and tell them to pull/order it.

Didn't want to leave the MH on jack stands for more then the day. I guess I just have to hope that they have everything in stock or take two weeks to complete the job. Just thought that this would be a fairly basic question.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:50 AM   #5
Streamin'

1995 30' Cutter Bus LE
Madison , New Mexico
I would check at Rock Auto RockAuto Auto Parts

I have had very good results with them.

Bill
BarnacleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 10:21 AM   #6
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
As so many of us have experienced --- The best anyone can tell you is what they have possession of, as yours may be different.
A small volume OEM like Airstream, may make many changes on the production line, depending on price and availability at the time.
The best rule, as mentioned above, is to remove your part and then source the same.
Dave

Quote from OEM site.
"Since we continually strive to improve our products, actual products may differ. Prices and specifications are subject to change without notice. All capacities are approximate and dimensions are nominal. Some features or options may be different or unavailable in Canada or other International markets."
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 10:31 AM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92landyacht View Post
Ya, I was just wanting to order the parts first. I only have one day (Sunday) to do the work since I'm working until 6:00pm 6 days a week. I was planning on picking up the hoses, rotors, pads and calipers before hand to make sure I had everything to do the job. To complicate things I only have a Pepboys and Autozone near me. Neither have personnel that are too intelligent. I seem to always have to explain to them what the part is or just give them the part number and tell them to pull/order it.

Didn't want to leave the MH on jack stands for more then the day. I guess I just have to hope that they have everything in stock or take two weeks to complete the job. Just thought that this would be a fairly basic question.
The responses given are the only responses possible. The ONLY way to know for sure what is on your motor home is to remove the part and take it to the parts store for comparison. If that means leaving it on jack stands until the correct parts can be ordered and installed, then that's what you will have to do.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:05 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
I guess I ASSumed that all the Airstream Chevy based 92 Landyacht Motor homes were made off the same P30 GM chassis. I never would have imagined that Chevy would change the brakes that much in one year. I've always wondered why there wasn't a good cross-reference on parts for everyone to use. I guess it's a learning curve thing.

I usually do all the work on my vehicles myself. For what it’s worth I’ll be documenting what parts I find on my RV if anyone wants to compare.