Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-03-2016, 10:15 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1990 36' Land Yacht
San Antonio , Texas
Water is not hot after driving for over an hour

I have a 36' 1990 Land Yacht, which I purchased in 2013. Suddenly after two years, the water no longer gets hot after driving as designed. There are no blown fuses, and the gas water heater works just fine. Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 06-03-2016, 11:06 AM   #2
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
The engine assist heated water tank temperature depends on the engine operating in a normal temperature range which should be well above 160*.

Most diesel engines will have adequate cooling systems to keep the engine within safe operating temperatures during all driving conditions. This means, that if you are not working the engine, it will generally want to run cold.

Proper thermostat operation is critical to keep your diesel engine temperatures in the safe zone so that the heat from the combustion process will clear away sludge and deposits that may be detrimental to long term engine life.

That said, the HWT engine assist depends on engine coolant temperatures, and water temperature. So, if you start out on a cold morning, and drive down the flat valley bottom, it may take an hour to get reasonably hot water in the HWT.

It you were to start your day on the west coast and head on up Steven's Pass, you will be able to stop and take that shower after a half hour or so.

The thermostat would be the first thing to question, if your engine coolant temperatures do not seem to be normal.

Most engines will have a valve near the engine to shut off water to the heater system. Check to make sure that is open.

And one other possibility? If you shut off the heater, your system may not allow the coolant to circulate through the HWT heat exchanger. The coolant has to be able to complete the circuit to do that job.

Dave
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 11:59 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
As mentioned above, the heat for the water heater while driving is provided via the engine coolant.

If engine cooling system is operating correctly, I would suspect a collapsed or otherwise blocked heater line running from the engine compartment to the water heater.

This hose also supplies the auxiliary heater core with engine coolant. These do rot and fail over the years and can be blocked with crud.

Another possibility is a blocked heat exchanger tube within the water heater itself.

Regards,

JD

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 12:09 PM   #4
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
The heat exchanger on these tanks is external, not internal. (this avoids any risk of contamination of your water system)

The exchanger is welded to the outside of the HWT.

I guess another possibility would be that this weld has failed from vibration?

You should be able to check this visually from the back side, where your bypass valves are located.

Dave
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 01:43 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1990 36' Land Yacht
San Antonio , Texas
Dave,

Thanks for the detailed response. My rig is equipped with a 454 vice diesel pusher. Engine temperature and coolant levels are fine (not overheating), however I have not changed the thermostat since purchasing in 2013. Also, could you be more specific regarding the water heater system valve you mentioned possibly located in the engine compartment. Thank you again for the feedback.

Bryan
Old 06-03-2016, 01:47 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1990 36' Land Yacht
San Antonio , Texas
JD,

Thank you for the response. A friend and fellow RV'er stated the same possibility regarding a blocked line, I will attempt to locate and inspect. As I informed Dave, the rig runs perfectly, no overheating or leaks.

Bryan
Old 06-04-2016, 08:52 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
They were talking about running cold (underheating).

If it was overheating you would have hot water faster then normal.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 10:47 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1995 30' Cutter Bus LE
Grande Prairie , Alberta
Is this only on the diesel pushers or all Land Yachts?
lepmer is offline   Reply With Quote