Old 11-20-2013, 03:44 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
I can pull my Ford Ranger pickup automatic at 4000 pounds but AS doesn't take as long in the low gears when I am pulling my 2500 pound Honda Fit automatic. The ford I had to install a transmission disconnect while the Fit doesn't require anything. I would recommend fixing the MH chassis for whatever you choose, the light weight Smart car wouldn't handle the passenger load.

Old 11-27-2013, 09:41 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Fort Erie , Ontario
The other issue no one is talking about is the ability to stop! The P32 chassis breaks are marginal at best (even when not towing, IMHO) that an auxiliary breaking system is a must. Check your State regs on requirements.
My rig is similar to Jerry's in that I have the banks system in for the pull power the blu ox towbar and the SMI stay in play duo for the towed. I'm pulling a Toyota Matrix 4 down that weighs in at 1830 Kg that's 4034.39 #, so am a bit over and had no problems going thru the Rockies past summer.
Steve

Old 11-27-2013, 09:48 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Fort Erie , Ontario
Just an afterthought: Make sure you have something to protect the paint on the towed when towing. BTW, the toyota can squeeze in 3+2.

Steve
Old 11-28-2013, 06:42 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Excella
Ontario , Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by is.chowa View Post
The other issue no one is talking about is the ability to stop! The P32 chassis breaks are marginal at best (even when not towing, IMHO) that an auxiliary breaking system is a must. Steve
Couldn't agree more Steve.
I have the 2005 LY 30 with the 8.1. It feels as though it could go uphill anywhere. But stopping is another issue. I have auxilliary braking on the 2012 SRX 4300 lbs (using BlueOx) that I tow. Without the auxilliary braking, it would be insane.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:18 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1992 35' Airstream 350
Ennis , Texas
towing...

Our 1992 Airstream classic 350LE has no problems towing the following:

We are towing our 2012 Ford Escape v6 All wheel drive, wheels down in neutral. We have to go thru the gears every 5 hours which means while stopped we shift gears [while running the engine] thru all P - R - N - D - D2 for 5 minutes to lubricate the transmission. We have done this for 18 months without any problem at this time. Ford approves this procedure and the vehicle is about 3600 lbs.

We also have a 2013 Smart for 2. It weights about 1800 lb. We tow it 4 wheels down and just put the transmission in neutral.

Chief
Old 12-04-2013, 12:19 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Excella
Ontario , Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkeef View Post
My 2000 30 LY maxim towing weight, according to A/S, is 4000lbs. My Taurus X weighs 4012. My hitch is rated at 5000 pounds and my Blue Ox tow assembly is rated at 10,000 pounds. Using the SMI Stay-in-play duo proportional towed car brake system I stand by my "common sense" contribution to this thread.
OK I agree. But I assume that your hitch like mine is rated at 500 lbs not 5000 lbs. And the weight of your Taurus dry is 4012 lbs. If you then carry stuff in your car you need to add that weight. Tank full of gas adds 150 lbs or so. Blue Ox tow gear adds ???. My guess is that you are closer to 4400 lbs which is what I pull. I also use the Blue Ox tow assembly and use the US Gear breaking system in the toad. To me this a safe towing package and a safe towing weight. As someone else said that except for the rear camera, I don't know that it is there going down the hiway.

As an aside which will rankle some people, the towing weight is not set by the engineers alone. It is set by the lawyers and marketing guys based on the knowledge that a lot of owners will tow more than the manual recommends and also what towing capacity they need to advertise to sell the MHs. It also doesn't take into account whatever mods have been made to the MH hitch ie reinforcing.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:41 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodytwo View Post
But I assume that your hitch like mine is rated at 500 lbs not 5000 lbs.
I would assume this is wrong and both hitches are rated for 500 lbs tongue weight and 5000 lbs towed weight.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:06 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1994 35' Land Yacht Diesel
Franklin NC , North Carolina
Light weight Toad

Here's another idea. May not be for everyone, but works for us.
A four passenger car, less than 1800 lbs, stick shift, flat tows great.
Plus it's another toy and guaranteed to get everyone in any campgroud
talking to you. No brake requirement, tow bar under $100, parts available,
fun to drive, no depreciation, unique, and almost everybody you meet has owned one.
What is it? .................................................S croll down...

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q...n/DSCI0266.jpg

It's a 1966 Model 113 VW Bug with a tow bar. It's the only vehicle
to exceed Model T Ford production. Here we area at a Model T
gathering we noticed while drive to our campground. We Parked the
Airstream, "The Roadhouse" and went back in the "Road Bug" to see
the Model T's and they invited us to dine with them.
Hard to beat that with other Toads. We've been towin it for 23 years
weh not towing our Saturn Vue or a trailer with an antique car on it.
The "Road Bug" has never been on a trailer and has seen the USA like a Cherolet. eve if Dinah Shore never sang about the Volkswagen.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:16 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
1955 22' Flying Cloud
2000 31' Land Yacht
Lafayette , Louisiana
My Reese hitch is the 2' Motorhome unit and is rated to tow up to 5000lbs. I didn't address tongue weight in my previous post. That being said, towing four wheels down would not result in excessive tongue weight.