Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2013, 06:40 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2004 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Overland , Missouri
Top radiator hose

Our 2004 LY has 38K miles. We are the 2nd owners, and love it. This is our 4th RV, second class A Moho.
We are preparing to head out for our winter trip south, Texas & Arizona.
When looking over things I discovered a water leak at one of the heater hoses that supply hot water to the rear heater in the floor by the doorway. This led me to take a closer look at all the hoses. I decided to change all the hoses, flush the motor and add fresh coolant and put on a new belt also. I soon discovered all that is certainly easier said than done. In particular the upper radiator hose. I have tried everything I know to access the clamp by the radiator that holds the hose on. It has the original clamp the compression type that you have to squeeze to enlarge to release the hose. I have tried to gain access from the front under the hood and have removed the engine cover and come in from the backside. No luck either way. I get close from the front but the position that the clamp is in on the hose will not allow any tool (needle nose pliers both strait and 90°curved on the ends)to get a grip on the clamp, there is just no room to get this da***** clamp off. If anyone out there has faced this situation and has a solution to it I would be grateful. Thanks
pvmsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 07:00 PM   #2
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
I don't have any solution for you. Can you cut it off and just replace it with one you can get at???
The top hose will be the one in the worst condition as it gets all that engine heat, so it should be changed.

Dave
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 08:33 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Take a look at the special tools on this link:

https://www.google.com/search?q=gm+r...=1402&bih=1090

One of these should be what you are looking for. Most are available at AutoZone and similar auto parts stores; and while they may be an extra expense, you'll have the right tool for next time you need to change radiator hoses.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 09:46 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1979 24' Airstream Excella 24
Tipp City , Ohio
I just bought one of these from a local tool supply. $65.00. Buy one you will love it!
Gregsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 10:47 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2004 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Overland , Missouri
Thanks for the replies

Thanks for all the replies. My best bet would be the cable type pliers. I am not over stating when I say there is no way I can see to access this clamp. I conceder myself to be a decent shade tree mechanic and have always maintained my own vehicles. But this AirStream may be going to a shop. . I changed one of the heater hoses, took a close look at the rest and made the decision that even though its just hoses I think I may be better off turning it over to a pro. I may need a belt and idler pulley also.
I have contacted the AirStream dealer in my area and they do not work on the chassis. There is a shop that has been recommended by an RV dealer (Price Professional Auto) and also advertises the fact they work on Workhorse chassis that I may take it to them.
pvmsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 10:14 AM   #6

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Brunswick , Georgia
My shop says they have tried 3 hoses and have not found one to fit yet. Do you have the hose part number that you used? We have a 2005 33 LY with no slides.
kenandcindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 10:02 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
2005 30' Land Yacht Gas 30
Near the water , Wa
Top hose, no problem compared to the bypass hose on top of the water pump. The water pump just started to weep, so to change it :
Drain AF, the bottom radiator hose is easy. Air inlet off..
Remove the 3 bolts holding the top shroud, there are staples holding the bottom to it
Remove the belt and alternator, then the curb side radiator brace
Disconnect the oil fill tube and the top radiator hose
Take off the fan, 36mm open end and unscrew the hub part way, you may need j41240 holding tool to loosen it. Now take the fan off the hub. I put some some 1/4" foam against the radiator to protect it, then unscrew the fan hub completely and take the hub out. If you rest the blades against the foam, the upper fan shroud can now be wiggled out.
Now you can change the water pump, the bypass hose, or thermostat.... The bypass hose is a special snowflake, ac delco 12558968, the rest of the pieces were easy to get.
Hope this helps anyone who wants to do this job, winter jobs, so you can cruise with less worry...
Bella123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 10:48 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
2005 30' Land Yacht Gas 30
Near the water , Wa
Upper hose 15020684, take the front left tire off to reach it, got mine from Brenda at the Marysville WA Chevrolet rv dealer. Did need a set of spring clamp pliers!
Bella123 is offline   Reply With Quote