Old 02-18-2013, 05:04 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
I'd still cover with Eternabond if you still have some. Would make it look a little more finished and uniform with the other roof penetrations. Looks like a good job though.

Old 02-18-2013, 05:33 PM   #16
Ready to go campin?

1992 33' Land Yacht
Evans , West Virginia
Thank you. I am not sold on that Eturnabond yet. It came off really easy from the skylite and the roof.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:35 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
If the Eternabond tape came off easily, then you didn't prep it correctly or it wasn't real Eternabond tape. Seriously... I've had to remove a couple pieces and in both instances it was a major pain to get it to release from what it was applied to. I could pull on the tape and it would split between the outer and inner layers but would not just pull away from the substrate it was attached to. It took an exacto-knife to cut between the layers, heat and quite a bit of work with acetone to remove the remaining tape.

The fact that you found silicone around the skylight that you taped around indicates the source of your problem with the Eternabond seal. Nothing sticks to silicone and any silicone residue will cause poor bonding to anything you put over it. That's the main reason you NEVER use silicone on any exterior seals. Eternabond's directions clearly indicate that ALL silicone residue must be removed before application or the seal will fail. Using acetone will remove the silicone but requires multiple cleaning cycles to make sure it not just spread all over. Any contaminated towels will just spread more silicone around to other areas.

I wouldn't blame the product if the prep work was the cause of the failure. Not trying to be combative here. I'm just trying to point out that it is very likely that the source of your problem was not the tape but more likely the prep.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:01 AM   #18
Ready to go campin?

1992 33' Land Yacht
Evans , West Virginia
I applied that stuff all over the seams and there are small places that it isnt stuck. This is at places that I'm sure there was not any silicone. I scrubbed all of the areas and wiped down heavily with acetone before I applied the tape. But as you say, I didn't prep well enough and it was not really warm outside. The next time I apply it I will use the primer as they recommend.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:26 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1993 33' Land Yacht
Midland , Michigan
Looks alot better! Nice job.

http://s1290.photobucket.com/user/gl...58808196506793
gloran is offline   Reply With Quote