Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2011, 08:30 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1991 30' Airstream 30
Clayton , California
Supposed to be drip edge on Driver's Side?

Hi

I'm new to the forum and this is my second posting and own a 91 30' AS LY that I thought was in better shape than what I'm discovering.

Looking at the drivers side roof edge something major must have occurred considering the lack of rivets and RSC applied to the holes. Most of the rivets are missing and need to be replaced. Same is true to lesser degree on passenger side.

What's noticeable is there is an aluminum beaded drip edge on the passenger side above the awning but none on the drivers side. Was this standard or do I need to seek out a replacement? If I need a replacement any suggestions on who to contact other than a AS dealer?

Any suggestions on the rivets as to size and material? I'm thinking they should be SS vs. AL for strength.

All suggestions are welcome and thanks in advance

John
Clayton, CA
Johns5711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 06:43 AM   #2
Streamin'

1995 30' Cutter Bus LE
Madison , New Mexico
Do you have a picture?
BarnacleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:52 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johns5711 View Post
Hi

I'm new to the forum and this is my second posting and own a 91 30' AS LY that I thought was in better shape than what I'm discovering.
Unfortunately, that is often the case - I share your pain.

Quote:
Looking at the drivers side roof edge something major must have occurred considering the lack of rivets and RSC applied to the holes. Most of the rivets are missing and need to be replaced. Same is true to lesser degree on passenger side.

What's noticeable is there is an aluminum beaded drip edge on the passenger side above the awning but none on the drivers side. Was this standard or do I need to seek out a replacement? If I need a replacement any suggestions on who to contact other than a AS dealer?

Any suggestions on the rivets as to size and material? I'm thinking they should be SS vs. AL for strength.
Based on my experience with my '94 LY, aluminum pop rivets will work fine. I had asked about the use of SS rivets and was told that SS was too hard for the application. My LY is fiberglass, so my experience is limited to that construction - if yours is fiberglass too, I would suggest that you carefully inspect and ensure that any of the roof seam rivets are securely in place. I had found that previous repairs made to the roof of my LY fund that they had taped over the seams without checking that the rivets were in securely. When the tape was removed and replaced with lifetime warranted Eternabond tape last year, there were several loose rivets that came out with the tape and several holes where the rivets were missing.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:09 PM   #4
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Agree with Bill.
Can you post some pictures of the damage?
It may be helpful to other owners.
If you had a leak from the roof and it got into the wall, the wood luan backing on the f/g swells and applies pressure to the wall structure causing loss of attachment to the aluminum frame structure. DELAM.
This is expensive to repair. If repaired from the inside, it saves refinishing on the outside.
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkmagikca View Post
Unfortunately, that is often the case - I share your pain.

Based on my experience with my '94 LY, aluminum pop rivets will work fine. I had asked about the use of SS rivets and was told that SS was too hard for the application. My LY is fiberglass, so my experience is limited to that construction - if yours is fiberglass too, I would suggest that you carefully inspect and ensure that any of the roof seam rivets are securely in place. I had found that previous repairs made to the roof of my LY fund that they had taped over the seams without checking that the rivets were in securely. When the tape was removed and replaced with lifetime warranted Eternabond tape last year, there were several loose rivets that came out with the tape and several holes where the rivets were missing.
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:16 AM   #5
Streamin'

1995 30' Cutter Bus LE
Madison , New Mexico
We did a wall repair on the pasangers side of our '95 Land Yacht last winter in Florida. We did it from the inside. Maybe I should post a thread with pictures...
BarnacleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:31 AM   #6
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Bill: Any update/repair information that will help other Airstream owners would be good. What happens to one unit will always be a potential problem that might happen to all units over time.
Dave
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 05:03 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1990 36' Land Yacht
Dearborn Heights , Michigan
the 1/4 rounded aluminum roof edge is riveted with aluminum rivets through fiberglass/plywood into 2 1.5" square Steel tubes running lengthwise. the 2 tubes are welded together with an angleiron (90 degrees) and the space between the outside of the angle and the inside of the aluminum radius corner is used as a wire run, i wouldnt drill any holes in the center of the aluminum radius, or within about 2" of the interior wall ceiling joint. I only know this from seeing a sawn apart salvage LY identical to mine. I had to replace about 4 -5 loose rivets and used aluminum. hope that helps. Mark