Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-21-2014, 08:13 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2002 26' Land Yacht 26
plattsburgh , New York
storage doors

Hoow do I remove and replace a storage door on 2002 land yacht
ibarbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 09:13 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Excella
Ontario , Canada
Welcome to the forum. It sure has helped me solve some problems.
I'll be going out to do some work on my M/H this afternoon. I'll have a look at the the exterior storage doors to see how they are fastened and respond tonight.
woodytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 09:57 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2002 26' Land Yacht 26
plattsburgh , New York
thanks. I am new to this and appreciate the help
Old 10-23-2014, 04:07 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
If it's anything like my 92 LY you'll have to remove the side bumper/chair rail trim to get to the screws for the door hinges. There's a center plastic piece and an aluminum part that holds the center piece of the chair rail. Not an easy job on mine. Hope yours is easier.
92landyacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 04:04 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Excella
Ontario , Canada
Sorry to take so long to get back to you. What I found out is that it is an easy task or it can be an extremely hard task.

Just to be sure. It is the outside storage doors, right??

now I have a 2005 30 ly so yours may be different.

Easy task first. The door's are attached with rivits to a piano type hinge that runs along the top of the storage bin. If you just want to remove and reattach the door to the existing hinge, just drill out the rivits and install new rivits in the new door.

Hard task next. But if your hinge needs replacing that's another story. From looking at mine (dull day with a bit of rain) the hinge seems to go under the top lip of the storage bin, underneath some calking stuff, to I don't know where. That seem to be at least 2 inches. I couldn't see a break in the metal that would indicate that there are 2 pieces here. Nor could I feel any rivits. I didn't want to disturb the calking stuff because it looked original and could be metal or something else. The hinge dould be steel rather than aluminum and could therefore be spot welded to the bin frame.

That's about it from me. let's hope someone else has more knowledge than I.
woodytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 06:43 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2002 26' Land Yacht 26
plattsburgh , New York
Thanks for the comment. It looks like the storage doors are the same as yours . I think I will take the approach of drilling out the rivits and remove the door .