Old 08-10-2016, 11:29 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member
2004 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Elkmont , Alabama
Question Still having Brake problems with P32 chassis

The auto park brake system you helped me with seems to be OK at this time.

While we were having issues with the parking / auto brake, I took the opportunity to have the main brakes checked as there seemed
to have excessive pedal travel.
The litany of events follows!
1) Discs were skimmed.
After lines were bled I drove the unit and found the front brakes were getting hot.
2) Calipers replaced with new.
Brakes still were getting hot.

3) Master cylinder replaced with new and Hydra Boost expert rebuilt with a year warranty.
Calipers still not freeing properly.

4) At great expense replaced all the brake lines!.
Calipers still not freeing!

Today ordered new spacer to replace existing, between Hydra boost and master cylinder.

Can you suggest how to proceed, is there a special adjustment needed when new spacer is installed?
Workhorse say the spacer is critical to calipers opening after brakes applied?

We wish to take this unit up to Canada to visit friends, but need to have sound brakes that do not overheat!

I have been blessed to have many vehicles during my 77 years, but not since my (1950 ish) Fiat Topolino 500cc have I
had one with more challenges than the P32 chassis on this otherwise excellent Airstream motor home!!
Every Blessing

Grandave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 12:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master
2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Everybody here talks about the p30 Chevy chassis but yours should be a Workhorse chassis as chevy in their wisdom sold out to them. Along with the problems, but I haven't run across where there was a recall when there should have been a recall, on the auto brake and the caliper system brakes.
Chevy took the simple hand brake and replaced with electro-mechanical high tech(POS), instead of modifying the transmission by adding a sturdier prawn to hold in park. The caliper brakes on mine suffered from overheat in rear due to crud in the fluid, water boils off and steam doesn't compress the same as brake fluid, but my feeling is that the slide mechanism on the calipers gets rusty and freezes up. When your mechanic replaced the calipers and turned the rotors, did he do a through job of cleaning up and testing their release as well as their application? I found an IR thermometer can aim and check exactly where the hottest spot is around the wheel and axle.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote