Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2013, 07:09 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Jupiter , Florida
Steering Stabilizer Land Yacht

Searched but didn't see a thread. Looking for your best recommendation for a new steering stabilizer for our 05 LY. Its the P-32 chassis and she has some sway that I would like to reduce if possible. I am told they all have a little, but this might help? Thanks Chris
Off Course is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
You may want to check the bellcranks first. Have someone turn the wheel from side to side and see if you see any movement. The shaft should not deflect at all and just rotate. If you see any movement then I would replace it with one of these: Bell Crank for Workhorse and Chevy P30, P32 and P37 Chassis

You may want to look at some of the other items on Henderson's lineup
92landyacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:32 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Jupiter , Florida
Thanks for the info, but the plot thickens on my end. Looked at my front end after posting and my right air bag is shot. Also found that I have the steer safe product installed. I guess I'll start with new air bags and go from there. Can't help the steering to have a blown bag on one side. Still will take input though. I ordered the Air Lift 1000 kit 81560 after seeing it recommended in many places for the P-32.
Old 05-12-2013, 04:52 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Evansville , Indiana
Off Course, we have a 2004 LY 30 ft. with slide. We bought it with about 10,000 miles in 2009. Initially, driving was a concentrated, two hand operation. During the first year, we replaced all the tires with Michelins rated for RV service, balanced the tires, had the front end aligned, and replaced the air bags. Ours air bags wouldn't hold air over a few week period. After these changes, the handling is a marked improvement. As an aside, we do not have any after-market steering enhansement devices installed. It is as built at the factory. Driving now is more like driving my former 2500HD GMC pick-up. I feel comfortable in taking a hand off the wheel to reach my snack or soft drink while driving.
Airstream12557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:55 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Jupiter , Florida
Thanks 12557 that is comforting to know. I should have the new air bags in this week and I'll provide a report. Chris
Old 05-15-2013, 05:31 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Oakland County , Michigan
New Front Springs and Bell Cranks

When we bought our '05 LYG with slide it had a blown air bag which was replaced under warranty.

Six years later the other airbag blew so I decided to get new stiffer springs and skip the air bags altogether.

Additionally, I replaced the bell cranks, bell crank arms and draglink.

All of this has made the steering much more stable and now I don't have to mess with always adding air to the airbags.

There is a lot of info on the cost and pros and cons of either approach on this forum.

Good luck with your decision/project.
Michigan
Michigander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:31 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Castro Valley , California
The PO had installed the Steer Safe & bell cranks (along with Banks Power) but I had a lot of straight line instability. My local shop was working on my inability to pass CA smog and had to straighten and re-clamp a messed-up Steer Safe. Now it is fine, no constant corrections needed. My airbags rarely leak down, I run them about 90 psi, but will have to replace the OEM tires soon even though they look great
Old 05-16-2013, 05:10 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
I'm sure you checked the air in tires, first, then the airbags, stabilizer is a shock absorber and could give you the same problem. My rule is always fix the broken then do the next cheapest fix and see if it corrects the problem, then progress up the ladder of expense. After the airbag it should do what you want, mine with low air felt like steering was loose, filled airbag and went away, replaced rear tires and had the same problem until I increased the pressure more than the original equipment Michelins.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:42 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Fort Erie , Ontario
I replaced my leaking bags with Henderson's SS springs, bell cranks drag link tie rod ends and an alignment so also had to replace the steers as they were feathering due to the misalignment caused by the leaking airbag.
Yesterday replaced the steering damper as the oem was leaking and completely dead. I used the Bilstein replacement for the P30 chassis. Easy! Just got to go on a short run to check it out. All of the above info is good, and luck on your decision.

Steve
is.chowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:08 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Jupiter , Florida
OK, after many hours and a new airbag as one stem broke when we were putting it in, we have succeeded. Two new front airbags installed and holding pressure. The key to installation is making the bag as small as possible. I took a picture of the last one, which went in fairly easily. Thanks for the support and info.