Old 07-16-2012, 06:13 AM   #15

1996 35' Land Yacht Widebody
OOLTEWAH , Tennessee
Thank you all for your feedback. Quite insightful. You have confirmed my thoughts about a MH. I have owned one in the past and it was a money pit. I am now leaning towards a trailer in the 28' range. Some of my thoughts were similar to those expressed. I am not your typical female in that I know and have done just about everything mechanical. I understand it and can guide anyone with basic aptitude through the steps so I am not as disadvantaged there. I also am beyond the need for "stuff" as I have made huge amounts of 4 AND WENT THROUGH THE PHASE OF HAVING 10 OF EVERYTHING. I have owned several Yukons and Suburbans and know their quirks (not many). That is probably my choice again. Someone raised a host of negative possibilities; I don't live in negative. Usually I find a way to work through things. Going to public housing etc. is NOT an option for me. I would live in a tent in the woods first with my 2 Standard Poodles. The way I see it, I can sleep in a trailer even if something is broken and can calculate my moves. With a MH I would be fair game wherever it chose to break. I could, as has been said, replace a tow vehicle easily without changing "homes" and my "home" wouldn't be in the shop. iNSTINCTIVELY I know a Burb or Yukon and can anticipate repairs (never many) as opposed to any of the MH engines. First priority with a trailer would be axles/wheels/tires then leaks then everything else after that. As for interior furnishings; not at all a concern. I am quite astute with replacement/remodel etc. and would opt for a remodel rather than trying to maintain authentic. Electronic hitch and back-up camera (thanks for that suggestion) will be essential. As for spots; a month at a time at least right now so I found many in the $250-300 range. I don't care about ammenities like pools, dances, "planned" events etc. Rally's sound good. The other thing is that I am beginning to earn money again and so because a lot of it will be residual via direct deposit it will begin to allow me more freedom. I don't need much although I enjoy a lot. I have known and lived the highest highs and now I am just emerging from a period of the lowest lows. I can cope well and at least I ONLY HAVE MY OWN NEEDs and those of my Poos to consider so in many ways I can adapt easier than a couple. Hopefully I will meet some of you along the way and I probably will be back to ask more questions. Just a perspective; don't let fear keep you a prisoner. MOST OF THE TIME IT IS NOT REAL. Thanks

Old 07-16-2012, 06:50 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Robstown , Texas
I am also a disable widow with limited means, and bought an older 31' AS to live in full time. I love it! I do not own a big tow vehicle as I don't travel out of town in my AS yet...I just hire someone to move me to another trailer park if one doesn't work out or I find a better location. The space rental fee is cheaper than apartment rent, and so are the other utilities. I have also found out that usually trailer people are the nicest and most helpful people in the world! Conversations at the park laundry mat are also a priceless benefit. I'm saving my money so that eventually I can travel with my AS to a different area. I plan on staying at one chosen location for @2 months till I see everything it that area... then going further down the road till I see all of the US.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:16 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
I Couldn't Agree More!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanologist View Post
First off, you DO NIT need a big rig to tow all Airstreams! Pleas do NOT make that mistake!! I tow my 2009 PanAmerica Toy Hauler with a Toyota Tundra because I have it. The PanAm is 35' long and GVWR is 11,500 pounds. With correct weight distribution hitch, you can tow your desired AS with many smaller trucks and autos. Contact Andy Thompsom of CanAm RV in London Ontario (Canada) before going ANY further! He has setup a Ford Taurus to tow a 35' AS Classic! Secondly, remember this: Airstreams are not cheap to restore or repair. The older they are, the more likely you are going to spend money on NEEDED fixes. Older AS are classy and all -- but you said, you are no longer flush with cash. Keep in touch with me, I've been feeding my two a little cash in the past few years and they are fairly new. But please call Andy, he advised me on both of my AS hitches via phone and email -- NO cost. When I went to his shop -- he fine tuned my hitch and improve the performance. Not all folks that sell hitches know what the heck they are doing.
Ditto! Contact Andy Thomson and you will not go wrong.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:35 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerCoast View Post
Thank you all for your feedback. Quite insightful. You have confirmed my thoughts about a MH. I have owned one in the past and it was a money pit. I am now leaning towards a trailer in the 28' range. Some of my thoughts were similar to those expressed. I am not your typical female in that I know and have done just about everything mechanical. I understand it and can guide anyone with basic aptitude through the steps so I am not as disadvantaged there. I also am beyond the need for "stuff" as I have made huge amounts of 4 AND WENT THROUGH THE PHASE OF HAVING 10 OF EVERYTHING. I have owned several Yukons and Suburbans and know their quirks (not many). That is probably my choice again. Someone raised a host of negative possibilities; I don't live in negative. Usually I find a way to work through things. Going to public housing etc. is NOT an option for me. I would live in a tent in the woods first with my 2 Standard Poodles. The way I see it, I can sleep in a trailer even if something is broken and can calculate my moves. With a MH I would be fair game wherever it chose to break. I could, as has been said, replace a tow vehicle easily without changing "homes" and my "home" wouldn't be in the shop. iNSTINCTIVELY I know a Burb or Yukon and can anticipate repairs (never many) as opposed to any of the MH engines. First priority with a trailer would be axles/wheels/tires then leaks then everything else after that. As for interior furnishings; not at all a concern. I am quite astute with replacement/remodel etc. and would opt for a remodel rather than trying to maintain authentic. Electronic hitch and back-up camera (thanks for that suggestion) will be essential. As for spots; a month at a time at least right now so I found many in the $250-300 range. I don't care about ammenities like pools, dances, "planned" events etc. Rally's sound good. The other thing is that I am beginning to earn money again and so because a lot of it will be residual via direct deposit it will begin to allow me more freedom. I don't need much although I enjoy a lot. I have known and lived the highest highs and now I am just emerging from a period of the lowest lows. I can cope well and at least I ONLY HAVE MY OWN NEEDs and those of my Poos to consider so in many ways I can adapt easier than a couple. Hopefully I will meet some of you along the way and I probably will be back to ask more questions. Just a perspective; don't let fear keep you a prisoner. MOST OF THE TIME IT IS NOT REAL. Thanks
Thanks for sharing - I'm sure we all realize you're better prepared than we'd realized. It's hard to go wrong with a Suburban - the only angst is weather a barn door or liftback is better. After my prior post I mapquested your location. It's about 320 miles to Virginia Highland Haven, a longish weekend trip, but worth it to meet people and spy on some nice used Airstreams. Looking at floorplan diagram - eh. Walking through one? will tell you exactly what is right for you.

Good luck, Paula
Old 07-16-2012, 05:21 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Evansville , Indiana
One suggestion, do your research on prospective tow vehicles. Pay close attention to what the manufacturer says is the tow capacity. Remember, in addition to towing a trailer, you also have to stop it and sometimes panic stops are a reality. Don't skimp on the tow vehicle.

Sam