Old 08-27-2012, 02:50 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Henrietta , New York
Seat belts and a few newbie questions

Have been reading this forum and have a few questions that I can't seem to answer. I am looking at 30' Land Yachts from late 90's and early 2000's. Two adults (well, sort of) and two teens (definitely teens - despite one being chronologically only 11). Local use in the North East and hopefully some FL treks:

With the sofa, dinette, barrel chair configuration how many seat belts are there? I think I saw that the dinette has none?

On the 30' floor plans do all of the dinettes and sofas convert to provide additional sleeping.

I read about a fiberglass roof with a slight arc in it, which sounds great, but yet water damage seems to be still an issue (as with any RV). Is it the seams? Fixtures (antenna, skylights, etc.)? In sailboat lingo we call those "thru-hulls" and generally the less of them between you and the water the better.

I see the fridge recall, and concerns about automatic parking brake. And the latest update from thread "Dad's folly" is not to encouraging but is there any other common flaws for these?

I know RV's of this age it is more how they were cared for than their age but I am seeing some real quality in the fit and finish.

I am shying away from Class C's because it seems water penetration in the cab over is more of a "when" thing than "if."

I am shying away from diesel Land Yachts because in sailboat land diesels break less, but are more expensive to fix. Is this more r less true here? Plus I'm looking short enough for State Parks and such.

For a gasser do I need a steep downgrade and steady tailwind to break through 10mpg? Is diesel that much better or are the saving eaten by the difference in fuel prices? The slanted front makes it look like it would be more aerodynamic than a similar flat front.

I will continue to troll the side for wisdom. Finding out a lot. But if any one wishes to chip in on these I would be most grateful.

John

Old 08-27-2012, 06:27 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1993 33' Land Yacht
Midland , Michigan
I think you will find that the couch will have three seat belts, and the barrel chair will also have one. Dining will not have any as you have already commented. So a total of 6 with the front seats. On our 33' the sofa and the dinette convert into beds, and I believe it is the same on 30'.
The fiberglas roofs are nice, but just as you stated about sail boats, the front and rear end cap seams as well as air conditioners and all other penetrations are susceptible to leaking and need regular maintenance.
Regarding Class C units, there are a number of very nice units on the market and not sure if they have any more of a leaking problem than the Class A's. I would be more concerned about the depreciation value of the Class C's.
As far as common flaws, I don't think Airstream's have any greater problems than other brand motorhomes, but I do feel the materials they used are higher quality compared to most others. You are certainly correct that how the unit has been maintained and cared for is very important.
Diesel vs. gas, it's personal-but in my opionion it would depend on how many miles you would be driving a year and what kind of terrain. Diesels may cost more to maintain, but go longer between maintenance. So that may equal out the cost. Most of the fuel injected gassers will get 10-11 miles per gallon. Pulling a toad vehicle on our last trip to Florida from Michigan we averaged a little better than 10 mpg.

http://s1290.photobucket.com/user/gl...58808196506793
gloran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:34 AM   #3
"Alumi-holic"

1982 31' Airstream 310
Memphis , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshaley View Post
On the 30' floor plans do all of the dinettes and sofas convert to provide additional sleeping.

I see the fridge recall, and concerns about automatic parking brake. And the latest update from thread "Dad's folly" is not to encouraging but is there any other common flaws for these?

I know RV's of this age it is more how they were cared for than their age but I am seeing some real quality in the fit and finish.

For a gasser do I need a steep downgrade and steady tailwind to break through 10mpg? Is diesel that much better or are the saving eaten by the difference in fuel prices? The slanted front makes it look like it would be more aerodynamic than a similar flat front.

John
John,

Our Land Yacht is a 30' as well. The sofa folds down into a bed and the dinette table lowers to form a bed in conjunction with the seats. We have accommodated 5 grandchildren (ages 3 - 13) for up to a week (two girls and the baby on the sofa, oldest on the dinette, and the 7 year old in a sleeping bag on the floor...they chose the sleeping arrangements on their own. They would hit the road with us every week if they could...

All things considered, I am pleased with our purchase of a used Airstream. Sure, there have been a lot of minor repairs (with all the minor repairs, have < $10K including purchase in the moho) and I have learned much about RV systems (as documented in "Dads Folly". With the advice from this forum and "How To" videos on Youtube, I have not encountered a situation that could not be resolved.

My temporary "fix" with the addition of the 500 ohm Potentiometer has mitigated the rough running issues. I am confident enough to leave on a 5 day trip this Thursday (have taken several daytrips locally to verify the rough running is not recurring). This will be a longer roadtrip to monitor the performance and gas mileage.

Note: I believe I have located a replacement ECM and hopefully it will solve the problem.

Our long term goal is to become fulltimers and explore the good ol USA. We consider these repairs as minor annoyances and lessons to learn in order to achieve our goal.

Good luck and happy motorhome hunting!
Old 08-28-2012, 01:30 PM   #4
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Welcome to the forums John.

If you are looking at a 10 year or more old motorhome, you are going to have some issues that you need to be comfortable dealing with yourself. It is just too expensive to have these general repairs done at a service center that charges in excess of $60/hr.

The AIR Forums have many "how to" stories on these many Airstream repair subjects, and most general information is available here or on the web.

My advice to any buyer would be to take your time to inspect the unit and record some of the deficiencies before you commit to purchase. (cheaper to loose a $100 deposit on it than to buy something that is beyond your ability to repair/maintain.)

Your choice of Class A, B, C or trailer is a personnel preference that is predicated by how you are going to use it. (eg #of persons, storage needed dry and wet, local or long distance holidays, etc.)

Good luck on your search.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshaley View Post
Have been reading this forum and have a few questions that I can't seem to answer. I am looking at 30' Land Yachts from late 90's and early 2000's. John
Old 08-28-2012, 01:34 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Henrietta , New York
Rooting for you

cesalie2,

Thanks for the input. I'm rooting for your resolution on the ECM issue. I have a 20+ year old boat and it too shows "personality" and requires me to spend quality time with it occasionally. I believe the RV's in my price range will be similar. The enjoyment your family has gotten out of your <$10k investment is very impressive and reassuring.

I spoke with a seller today that had one over ten years / under ten k but backed away. Water damage, low use and that pesky parking brake issue. I could probably tackle any one or two of those but I'm sure there are better rigs out there.

I look forward to your next trip report. Have read everything you've posted so far.

jh
Old 08-28-2012, 01:46 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Henrietta , New York
Gloran,
Thanks. Am looking forward to reading your other posts this evening. 10mpg is great. Also looking forward to find out more about the mods listed in your signature.

Dave,
I'm an IT data guy by trade, not a mechanic. With that said most of my job is problem solving. A lot of that problem solving is researching what other folks have done. And occasionally you have to get creative and try a new approach, documenting it so you can help others the way they help you. For that reason, forums like this and other are a gold mine. I also have a neighbor who is a Chevy mechanic. May look into trading hours for nights - you give me x hours of wrench turning and you can take the beast out.

Usage: I live in Rochester NY, Mickey lives in Orlando FL. So does my mother, right next to a FL state park. So I am thinking about that. I also want to do Acadia NP and other eastern jewels. But I'd also look forward to hanging out with a good book in between games at travel soccer. And I Scout camp about 8-9 times a year. If the lads go soft and book a cabin, I have no trouble parking next to it and "glamping" too. I like the 30' because of state park and DEC sites sometimes are smaller. My preference would be to avoid parking lot style destinations (although I can certainly see the value in a nice open pull through after a day of driving).

jh
Old 08-30-2012, 08:06 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1992 31' Legacy 30
richmond , Indiana
I bought a 30' 92 legacy form a former forum member last fall. Haven't used it but 3 times but plan on a few long wkends yet this year. The seams that you have concerns about can be easily fixed with eternabond tape. I got my unit for $2000.00 less than asking price because it developed a small leak around the refer vent right after he put it on ebay. I paid $7000.00 for it. Took me all of 30 minutes to fix. No problems since then. He even included the tape. There were some other things wrong like no cruise control, but I found a source for a direct replacement. T&A Service & Supply, Inc.. $200.00 for a plug and play. also found a easy to understand complete chevrolet motohome chassis service guide at: P30 Chevrolet Motorhome Chassis Manual. So between the gold mine on this forum and the web you should have everything that you need at your finger tips. This wkend I am goint to drop my generator to clean up a bad ground on the back side on the bottom. This is the biggest thing that I have had to look into. Why Airstream didn't put a pull out gen-set on the rig is beyond me. Airstream used such good quality on everything else. I looked at GMC's and other big name brands but none hold their charm like a Airstream. Just remember that you are traveling with a house on wheels and will have squeaks and rattles to listen to. Even the new one after a year or two have them. Did you know that the nose shape is patented by Airstream? Well that's what I heard. Good luck in finding the one that is right for you. It's getting the time of the year to get good bargains.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:40 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Henrietta , New York
RS,
Thanks. Great links.

Jh