Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-24-2014, 10:21 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
bloomington , Illinois
roof rivets transition piece

Im replacing a badroof What size rivets are used on the side roof transition cap on a 94 ly motorhome? Or is it possible to use screws? I noticed a few of them missing and there are some missing by the awning bracket causing it to move a bit when the awning is out
Brent Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 06:35 AM   #2
Ready to go campin?

1992 33' Land Yacht
Evans , West Virginia
Mine were 1/4" I would replace all of them. Just try to pry up on some, you will be surprised. If you are replacing the whole roof I would remove both side aluminum curved pieces and butyl tape under it when reinstalling. I bought my rivets from grainger they had a bulk amount price of 30.00 for 100. You will need a special rivet gun made for 1/4 rivets. I got mine at Harbor freight.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:09 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
bloomington , Illinois
Did you have any spots where the new rivet would not hold? And had to go bigger?
Old 03-26-2014, 09:14 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
bloomington , Illinois
Did you purchase hydraulic rivet gun?
Old 03-26-2014, 09:33 AM   #5
Ready to go campin?

1992 33' Land Yacht
Evans , West Virginia
They all held and the manual gun is just fine. They are not to hard set at all.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:10 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
bloomington , Illinois
Did you use aluminum or the stainless rivets?
Old 04-01-2014, 06:12 PM   #7
Ready to go campin?

1992 33' Land Yacht
Evans , West Virginia
Aluminum
Old 04-01-2014, 08:19 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
bloomington , Illinois
I just purchased an air rivet gun since I'm replacing all of them . What were the dimensions for the 1/4 inch rivets?
Old 04-01-2014, 09:24 PM   #9
Ready to go campin?

1992 33' Land Yacht
Evans , West Virginia
I got think 1/2 inch long the longest I could get.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:11 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
bloomington , Illinois
Working on replacing water damaged luan around passenger window and behind swivel chair . Iv got it all torn off and I accidentally tore metal strip around window behind the swivel v chair. It came off with luan . Does it need to be put back ? And can I just glue the new luan back on to the Styrofoam board with gorilla glue?
Old 04-07-2014, 09:46 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertha 94 View Post
Working on replacing water damaged luan around passenger window and behind swivel chair . Iv got it all torn off and I accidentally tore metal strip around window behind the swivel v chair. It came off with luan . Does it need to be put back ? And can I just glue the new luan back on to the Styrofoam board with gorilla glue?
If you're talking about the black metal inside window frame then yes, it must be installed in order to keep the window from falling out. If this is not what you're talking about, then pictures may help determine what it is.

EDIT: After rereading your post it dawned on my that you may be talking about the thin metal plates behind the luan. If this is the case then you may not need to replace it. They're used to give something to screw into when attaching things to the wall. If nothing is being attached then you don't need it. Typically things like floor cabinets and curtain gathers are screwed or riveted to the metal plates through the inside luan.

If you don't have any delamination or water behind the blue insulation (very unlikely since you do have damage), then you can just repair the inside luan. If there is ANY moisture behind the insulation then you need to remove the insulation and the outside luan behind it and replace that luan as well. More then likely the outside luan is in worse shape then the inside. On my 92 LY I had to strip the wall all the way to the outside fiberglass for most of the road side and a little on the curb side. You'd be amaized at how much water will be soaked into the luan behind the insulation. Once dried out, you can reuse the blue foam insulation.

I did use Gorilla Glue on mine and it worked quite well. I used a plywood panel on the outside that was held in place with 2x4 props and then used bowed poles on the inside to provide the clamping action. I reused the blue insulation once it dried out. I cut the luan to match the shape of the insulation and then glued that to the back of the insulation. I then glued that to the outside fiberglass with the luan facing the fiberglass. I then used luan in the largest sections I could cut to cover the inside. Again using the Gorilla Glue to bond everything. Take the windows out and it makes the job much easier and gives you much better results. You can use clamps and boards around the window frame to really get some good clamping action. The stronger the clamp the stronger the Gorilla Glue bond will be.
92landyacht is offline   Reply With Quote