Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-28-2016, 10:05 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1996 30' Land Yacht
Benson , Arizona
Roof pavers?

Been doing a lot of roof work, slowly catching up on the PO's lack of maintenance. New fan bases, skylights are ordered, front caulking done, rear will be done over the upcoming holiday. Happy 4th of July to me...

So. Before I paint the roof with the Dicor fiberglass coating, I am thinking about laying down and securing something like roof pavers. THe existing structure is easy to see through the existing roofing; I always try and walk on the ribs, as the remainder of the coach roof is... not as solid.

A lot of commercial buildings have roof pavers for maintenance staff to walk on. Anybody seen something similar for Mohome roofs?

Found this doing a google from Home Depot:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Envirotil...0637/202302001

About $3/sq. ft. Sorry, but it seems Photobucket is down, so I cannot host/post a pic. Some crappy reviews, but mostly because they are non-uniform and don't interlock well. I would put these down spaced several inches apart for drainage, on top of beams; so the problems others have would not matter. Recycled tires - the wave of the future...

Prolly glue them down with some 3M 5200; best caulk in the world, as long as you never need to remove it...
pago cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 10:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Each 18x18 inch tile weighs 8 pounds. Do you know how many tiles it would take?

Just my opinion, but an Airstream roof doesn't sound like a good application for this product.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 10:56 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1996 30' Land Yacht
Benson , Arizona
Thanks for the quick reply.
Don't think weight would be a concern. Prolly 12-14 of these, at maybe 1 sq. ft each would be sufficient for a walkway path from ftont to rear. 8lbs at 16 x 16 = 2.25 sq.ft. So a 12x12 piece would be less than 4 lbs. 14x4 = 56lbs spread out over 240 sq. ft. Heck, I've added that much in 2 dozen tubes of caulk...

Mostly concerned about sparing the roof from walking stress. I have been using a 12" x 48" piece of 3/4" ply for getting on the roof from the ladder, as that is just a high wear area. As well as a 24 x 24 piece of 1/2" ply when working on the cap. But after a few months in the sun (and getting blown off by 50 mph winds a few times...), need something a bit more permanent; yet still protective. Recycled tires should last longer than me...

Thought about that hard plastic stuff that is see through, and also raised off the deck about 1/2". Have used those in a boat to mount tanks and items on to allow drainage underneath. But there is no easy way to secure them to the roof. I'm positive that using the 5200 on a tire based product will stick to the roof well.

Any other ideas for a product?
pago cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 10:57 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
I've had a few experiences with the rubber pavers on commercial building roofs. They were used on membrane rubber or PVC roof material for walkways around mechanical equipment, but none on metal. I have seen them turn loose and blow around on low sloped roofs.
I think eventually the glue will fail due to the temperature extremes and the curvature of the roof. I guess they will fly off in the wind within the first year, unless mechanically fastened (screwed on). And, I don't think they will look good. If it were me, I would not install them on my Airstream.

add edit. I do the plywood as you described, but I use carpet beneath the plywood.
A W Warn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 03:34 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1998 31' Land Yacht
lafayette , Colorado
If the static weight isn't enough to deter you think about hard road seam, edge , pothole ect you've ever hit at speed. I'd stay with temporary.