Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-11-2016, 09:33 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1997 31' Land Yacht
Mahone Bay , Nova Scotia
Replacing jackknife sofa 30' no slide

Has anyone replaced their jackknife sofa with something more comfortable? We have a heat duct running along behind it to take into consideration, also no slide out, so I'm afraid there isn't room for a recliner, although that is what we would really like. Before we recover the jackknife, we wondered what the collective experience has been.
Thanks.
wheelygoode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 06:28 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelygoode View Post
Has anyone replaced their jackknife sofa with something more comfortable?
Thanks.
I had the same thoughts until seeing how much would be in the way
To improve opening the drawer under it and sitting I installed a couple of blocks of wood near the front edge with hinges if someone wanted to make a flat bed. Biggest problem with it's comfort for sitting is that it is too firm, so if you are recovering it I would test a few densities of foam. That draw would be missed as it stores all the maps and cg info, windshield sun screen, etc
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 06:50 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1997 31' Land Yacht
Mahone Bay , Nova Scotia
Thanks - you are right, we would miss the drawer storage. We will look at making it more comfortable. Airstream organized the layout very well, lots of stuff behind that sofa! Thank you again, good suggestions.
Old 05-12-2016, 06:59 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1997 31' Land Yacht
Mahone Bay , Nova Scotia
Fixing sofa drawer (was replacing couch)

Another problem with the couch is that the drawer does not stay closed when we are underway. There is a drop pin now, but it means lifting the seat to access it, making it a 2 person job. Or one stronger more dexterous person maybe.
Has anyone else had this problem, and how did you fix it?
Thanks.
Old 05-12-2016, 10:33 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Hickory , North Carolina
We ended up taking out the sofa and had it recovered with the same material that the driver and passengers seats were covered in. Ultraleather is what I think they called it. When they recovered it, they replaced the cushioning with a better quality material and now it is quite comfortable.

We removed the carpet and put down laminate flooring as well. We decided to take out the drawer below the sofa and I changed the routing of the heat duct. It was aimed at the driver's seat and I shortened it and have it next to the sink pointing towards the dinette (which we had recovered with the same Ultraleather).

We like it much better now, looks bigger and less cluttered now.

Here is a picture of what it looks like now
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1520.JPG
Views:	254
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	262382   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1518.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	262383  

rrzasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 01:25 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2004 30' Land Yacht Gas 30
, OH
Removed the drawer. Removed the slides for the drawer. Leaving only the front upholstered flat board. This allows total usage of the area. Every cubic inch. purchased two large plastic boxes with lids. They fit perfectly under the sofa. Also purchased three smaller plastic boxes with lids, that fit on the shelf under the sofa. The upholstered flat board fits perfectly under the edge of the sofa and never falls off. It fits snugly in place. Another benefit the sofa does not need to be touched to gain access under the sofa. Very easy for one person. If any interest I will photograph.
Pff
Old 05-12-2016, 06:24 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1997 31' Land Yacht
Mahone Bay , Nova Scotia
Yes, please photograph if it isn't too much trouble. Just wondering how the front board is fastened. We took the seat and back to an upholsterer today, plan to do the front in oak to look more like a boat settee (we are former cruisers and are capitalizing on the LandYacht theme). With that in mind we were planning to face the drawer with oak, would be very interested to see what you have done.
We had intended to do the cushions ourselves, but after seeing how they were put together, DH felt it might end up looking DIY.
Once we get it done we will post pix.
Thank you.
Old 05-12-2016, 06:26 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
Mission Viejo , California
I have a 1977 Argosy 28 MH with a sofa in same position. Sitting and sleeping comfort is marginal. My biggest complaint is the effort required to transition between modes. Some of the hassle is due to the lightweight materials and loose pieces that must be nudged into position each night and morning. That said I really appreciate all the room under this sofa. There are three house batteries, tools, inverter and the pièce de résistance 1500 watt amplifier and huge dual 10" subwoofer box. My year has the typical 3 roll up tambour doors under the sofa not drawers. Am very interested in ideas from this thread to make this sofa more comfortable and convenient.
cdufault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 06:28 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1997 31' Land Yacht
Mahone Bay , Nova Scotia
That looks really nice. I like the streamlined, spacious look. However DH will not give up the storage!
Thank you for posting the pictures! You have reason to be proud of your LandYacht!
Old 05-12-2016, 09:49 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Portland , Oregon
I took out the couch in my '95 Sovereign but kept the frame and the drawer. I then put plywood on top of the frame, re-did the face of the drawer, and built an extension on one side to make it an L-shaped couch. I made new cushions and covered them with a water-resistant fabric. I also made a table that slides in to a new cabinet on the side of the couch when not in use.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5499.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	262413   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0220.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	218.2 KB
ID:	262414  

Name:	IMG_2072.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	165.8 KB
ID:	262415   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0550.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	188.3 KB
ID:	262416  

goofus delux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 04:14 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Kimberton , Pennsylvania
The previous owner of our 1975 Tw took out the jack knife or gaucho or click-clack sofa bed as anyone might call it from the front when they replaced the flooring. Instead of putting all the jack knife pars together and sleeping on the solid plywood base they opted for Ikea’s spring/slat mattress sofa bed. So much more comfortable than the jack knife bed we have in the middle. http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S49089425/
BicenTw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 11:09 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I was all ready to put a recliner in my Avion, then someone reminded me about Castro convertibles. They come in two widths and look like an ottoman, until you unfold them and they're a bed If you keep the bedding simple and minimal it can fold up without stripping. Only the pillow has to be stowed. Also the top third can be lifted to be a chaise lounge. It does make a comfortable bed.

There are lots of cheaper brands... I just don't know whether they are very good quality.

Paula
Old 11-24-2016, 12:08 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1998 31' Land Yacht
lafayette , Colorado
RRZASA-Really like what you did. What was the color or product number of the fabric? looks like it matched perfectly