Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-24-2007, 12:52 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Kerrville , Texas
Removed the carpet!

After fixing all the leaks, I decided it would be a good idea to get to the bottom of things. The carpet was a major PITA to keep clean anyway. The photos show a few of the steps. I had already removed the sofa and the swivel chair to fix the interior walls. (see earlier posts) so the floor was a piece of cake. You will notice in the corner by the door, the wall leak rusted the base beam and rotted the floor (flakeboard). When I removed it, I found heavy foam insulation underneath. The rotted spot was replaced and the entire floor was covered with 1/4” luan underlayment fastened with waterproof subfloor adhesive. The interlocking floor boards are considered floating and not intended to be glued down, but after assembling them, I had up and down movement in the center of the floor. I removed and glued them down with lighter duty subfloor goop. You will need to measure carefully for the floor heater vents and sofa bolts. We decided to lose the swivel chair, but those bolts can be drilled up from below. I cut the angle toward the kitchen cabinet to make a straight line, leaving about a half inch between the kitchen and living areas, and will add a thin saddle. Used a good waterproof sealer all the way around the perimeter of the new floor to prevent any water from finding its way underneath. I have yet to finish the trim around the stair well, and add a piece of quarter round where the new floor meets the cockpit carpet which incidentally was left on as it had very little wear, and would have been a much more difficult job entailing removal of the captain's chairs. I will probably replace it with a durable Berber carpet some day. The photos don’t tell the whole story so post if you have questions. We have been out twice since the new floor and both love it--big improvement. The bathroom is next!
Frank
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1007_2.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	199.5 KB
ID:	49837   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1023_2.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	192.3 KB
ID:	49838  

Name:	DSCN1024_2.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	180.0 KB
ID:	49839   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1027_2.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	186.6 KB
ID:	49840  

Name:	DSCN1031_2.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	166.9 KB
ID:	49841   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1032_2.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	172.6 KB
ID:	49842  

Texas Hill Country
Santart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 05:04 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2003 31' Land Yacht 30
Old Hickory , TN
Looks good. I had some water leaks in the same area. It had stained the valance slightly but had not bothered the floor any more than the rust you mentioned. I have gone ahead and removed the carpet all the way forward and will run the new flooring up as far as I can and trim with Marine grade vinyl then cover the dog house with it as well. Keeping the light colored carpet clean in the cockpit was a chore... especially after a trip to the only Workhorse repair shop in town for warranty work. They tracked grease everywhere and made things worse when they tried to clean it up!

We decided to keep the chair and loose the dinette. Opens the area up tremendously... almost like having a slide. I am relocating the chair to about where the table was and putting the table top in the corner where the rear dinette seat went. I plan to keep the dog's wire kennel under the table while riding (she does not do well while moving) with storage at the bottom for a couple of TV trays. In the area under the window (where the chair was located) I will build storage to replace what was lost under the dinette with a fold out table for the passenger seat to swivel around to for eating.

Did you have carpet in the bath? I did and have that out trying to decide if I will use the same laminate up under the toilet or some other easier to clean material... what are your plans there?

How is the noise with the laminate instead of the carpet... especially while riding?
Between 'steams...
reday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 08:22 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Kerrville , Texas
Tile for the bath.

Not a hundred percent certain yet, but my plan is to put tile in the bath. Carpet is ridiculous under a comode no matter how good your aim is. I think I can install a good underlayment, then half inch Hardibacker and tile it using waterproof adhesive to keep the tiles from working loose with the road vibration instead of the usual Thinset. I'll use a flexible caulk to grout the tile and cleaning will be a breeze. In answer to your question about noise without the carpet up front, there is none at all. We put a carpet runner down the middle to help protect the floor finish. Left the chair out to make room for the catbox. I wanted to get rid of the dinette too but that was vetoed.
Texas Hill Country
Old 11-24-2007, 08:50 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2003 31' Land Yacht 30
Old Hickory , TN
Hope they were putting things together better in 2000 than in 2003. When I got the carpet out of the bathroom, the area behind the commode was basically just a framework to hide the stuff underneath and to attach the carpet to I will be scratching my head a while until I figure out how to deal with this... no straight edges and very flimsy.

Ironic. You making room for a cat box and me re-arranging things for a dog crate...
Between 'steams...
Old 11-26-2007, 06:28 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Kerrville , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by reday
Hope they were putting things together better in 2000 than in 2003. When I got the carpet out of the bathroom, the area behind the commode was basically just a framework to hide the stuff underneath and to attach the carpet to I will be scratching my head a while until I figure out how to deal with this... no straight edges and very flimsy.

Ironic. You making room for a cat box and me re-arranging things for a dog crate...
Yep; cats and dogs take a lot of priority. What do you mean by just a framework. Is there not plywood on top? It will be a while before I can take mine apart because we have travel plans. Can you send me a photo so I can see what you mean? Did you remove the vanity? Is the problem of uneveness on the cabinet side or the comode side? Seems there would be a flat top on which to mount the comode and it would have to be stout enough to hold a person. Where is it flimsy?
Texas Hill Country
Old 11-26-2007, 09:58 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2003 31' Land Yacht 30
Old Hickory , TN
There is a step up to the toilet with the black tank underneath then behind that routing for the heat duct to the bedroom, wiring and water to the toilet. In the corner, the vent pipe for the black tank to the roof. All of this was covered with plywood and built at different angles, levels etc. Part of the problem was that they did not plan ahead for the air duct and had to step up a second time for that... if they had gone as far down and to the wall as they could, it could have only been one transition instead of two... the second is the flimsy cobbled in one. Flooring is solid and well built.

I plan to rebuild only one level all the way across and relocate the air duct in the bedroom to allow that. Of course that means having to hide the hole left in the bedroom, but have that figured out.

Did not remove the Vanity.

Speaking of the flooring, mine is in very good shape. How "necessary" is the underlayment? Will be putting down the floating flooring from Konecto. What did you use?

Will try to gets some pics out soon.
Between 'steams...
Old 11-26-2007, 06:46 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Kerrville , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by reday
Speaking of the flooring, mine is in very good shape. How "necessary" is the underlayment? Will be putting down the floating flooring from Konecto. What did you use?
I purchased my flooring from Lowes and do not remember the name of it--can find out if you need it. It was chosen not as the "best" flooring available but as the one that matched closest to the kitchen floor. Although they are not a perfect match they are "close enough" to not have to replace the kitchen too. The underlayment is only to make the floors in kitchen and living rooms match in height. Airstream used the same luan underlayment originally when the kitchen was installed. BTW, if you are building a new cabinet to the left or the door, the stain that matches the rest of the Oak in the LY is Minwax Early American wood finish left on briefly and wiped off gently. It will dry a bit lighter than after the wipe. That said, the wood needs to be sanded at least through 300 grit or it will take on more dark than you wish. You can always go for a second coat next day, and always wait a day before applying Poly.
Frank
Texas Hill Country
Old 11-26-2007, 07:19 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2003 31' Land Yacht 30
Old Hickory , TN
Thanks. I guess that also depends on the kind of wood you are using in the cabinets?
Between 'steams...
Old 12-31-2007, 09:10 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2003 31' Land Yacht 30
New Bern , North Carolina
Frank & Reday

I have a 2003 AS LY 30'. I'm about to start the same job you are doing. My bath floor carpet is a mess and I'm convinced my inside coach odor problem is in the carpeting. I'm sure the previous owner did not have good aim. I will not remove the vanity and plan to use a good quality tile (but not ceramic). If you don't mind I would appreciate any tips in this endeavor and especially pictures you have of the progress.

After the bath and shower area, I plan to do the entrance and kitchen booth. Thank you and appreciate any information.
Steve
spat61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 09:43 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2003 31' Land Yacht 30
Old Hickory , TN
Steve,

I have completed the bath and all the way forward except for final trim work and getting the doghouse covered with vinyl. Not a good time of the year to try to get a marine canvas/upholstery shop to do any productive work. I may have to reconsider this approach... tried to do it myself, but the shape of the doghouse does not lend itself to a simple fix... too many angles involved. May just go with a really nice paint job. Hate to go back to carpet.

I will try to get pics together and figure out how to post them... probably back under the thread "Out with the Old". You will note there that I was planning a "re-model" while I was at it... think it turned out pretty good.

Things to think about:

You will need to "re-construct" the built up area behind the toilet since when AS built it, they knew that they were going to cover it with carpet and didn't bother to worry about finish. This necessitated moving the heat vent slightly in the BR. Had to put in a piece of wood behind the vent to help hide the hole when I shifted it all to the left.

Minwax Classic Oak gives you a good match to the existing cabinetry.

Hope to be able to give this more thought/time when I get done and post the final project.

In the mean time, if you have specific questions, send a PM.

R.
Between 'steams...
Old 01-06-2008, 12:57 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2003 31' Land Yacht 30
Old Hickory , TN
Update

Frank,

I have gotten back with Steve on his request and have posted pictures of my project to this point at:

http://web.mac.com/reday

Click on Airstream Saga

Here is a picture that shows the furniture relocation...

Name:	Remake.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	271.7 KB
ID:	52085
Between 'steams...
Old 09-13-2009, 05:18 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2000 33' Land Yacht
Sarasota , Florida
Airstream Newbie

Hello, Santart. I'm picking up my new (04) Land Yacht on Thursday. Looks like you did an amazing job on your flooring. Just wondering where your leak was from - roof, windows? I want to seal any problem areas on mine before they happen. Thanks. George in Florida
geomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 05:53 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 30' Flying Cloud
2008 23' International
Keremeos , British Columbia
Looks great and will be WAY cleaner than carpet. Good luck with the bathroom.

2017 30' FC | 2002 Chinook Destiny | 2008 23' Int. CCD (written off: hail!)
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote