Old 11-30-2013, 09:04 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1994 35' Land Yacht Diesel
Brenham , Texas
Remove wall covering and paint walls

We purchased a 1994 Land Yacht Motorhome. The walls have lots of places where the previous owners have hung things with hooks, nails, etc, and I want to remove the wall covering and paint the walls. It looks like some kind of wood underneath the wall covering. Is it OK for me to remove the wall covering so that I can repair the holes, prime, and paint the walls?

Any suggestions would be helpful.
Thanks,

Old 12-01-2013, 05:43 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Can you fill the nail holes with spackling compound and paint the wallpaper?

1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811
Airforums #70955
m.hony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:22 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
The "wall paper" is part of the manufacturing of the luann panels and is glued to the wood panels before installation in the MH. It's very hard to remove the paper portion without damage to the wood your yourself out of frustration. If the paper is still glued on well, then filling the holes and painting the paper is probably your best option. You can use a primer first and then your paint of choice next or you can re-paper after the primer.

Please clarify the current situation. Do you only have issues with small holes or are there any areas that have loosened paper and bulges? If you have any of the later, then water intrusion may also be an issue. Prolonged exposure to water will cause the luann panels to delaminate and appear as loose wall paper.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:49 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Brenham , Texas
At first I thought I would just prime and paint. I have done that in a house before, but after looking closer, while cleaning, I have noticed that some of the edges are starting to peal off. In one area in the back bedroom there is a ripple in the paper. I am worried that if I only take off the areas that are coming off or rippled, the finished product will show the different surfaces.
Thank you for your help.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:36 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Unless a PO re-papered the unit, the "rippled" areas are probably more delamination then just the paper coming off. All original seams should have a strip of matching wallpaper about 3/4" wide that is contact cemented over the seam. Those can come loose over time. Take pictures of some of the worse areas and post them here. In the rippled areas, my bet is the paper is still attached to the first layer of the underlying luann. Hopefully not since that would indicate a roof or window water leak at some time.

PS: We like pictures here.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:17 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Fort Erie , Ontario
rkendall:

Poster #5 has good info. I have gone thru a "remodel" excercise and suggest you look at the outside F/G for bulges easy moving of the skin inwards and internally for bulges and hollow sound when "knocking" the panels internally. If everything is solid, use a wall paper sizing for vinyl, since the original is vinyl and don't forget to fill in the holes. You may have to dig a bit deeper if there were leaks. The A/S Mohos are famous for it, as well as other Mohos. To replace the luan is a royal PITA and hard to get.
Good luck

Steve
Old 12-02-2013, 06:41 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Brenham , Texas
Here are some pictures of my problem areas.

Click image for larger version

Name:	wallpaper ripped off - Copy.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	201104

Name:   wallpaper rippled.JPG
Views: 181
Size:  47.9 KB

Name:   photo 1.JPG
Views: 181
Size:  47.9 KB

Name:   photo.JPG
Views: 182
Size:  41.6 KB

These walls are an eyesore to such a nice interior. I just don't know what to do.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:38 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Brenham , Texas
All is not negative.

We just purchased this motorhome and have not moved it off our property yet. The inside is really quite nice for it's age. I'll let you know when we get the nerve to take it on a trip. It's being repaired at the moment
These are my first hardwood floors, and I just love them.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Motorhome.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	201110  
Attached Images

Old 12-03-2013, 08:30 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Brenham , Texas
How does this plan sound?

I've checked the walls, and they all seem solid.

I'll use a vinyl adhesive to try to smooth and reattach loose and rippled areas.
Where this is impossible, I'm thinking I should strip a section and replace it with some vinyl wallpaper so that when I prime and paint, I'll at least have a vinyl background to paint over. Hopefully, the wall will not look too different where I have replaced the vinyl wallpaper. I'll study the texture of the wall vinyl and try to match it as close as I can.

I'll use spackling compound to fill the nail holes, and the areas where the vinyl has holes that are less than the size of a dime.

My last question is the rippling around the window seals. I know this has to be water damage. If the paper is still attached, but just rippled, and the wall is still strong and firm, I think I'll just paint over the ripples and let them be.

Thank you all for your suggestions. You have been most helpful!!
Old 12-03-2013, 10:30 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Fort Erie , Ontario
Nice rig! The first pix looks like original vinyl but may be a PO refurb. The second looks like vinyl creep, the 3rd may be a leak and the fourth can be glued back together as it is an H channel to hold two abutting Luan sheets.
Suggest you get a non contact (no pins) moisture meter and slide it over the surfaces of interest. If everything is dry you can sand the vinyl creep areas fill in the low spots with a suitable filler and sand smooth, prime and paint or re wallpaper. I chose to wallpaper with a vinyl paper that the DW chose using a vinyl compatible sizing. Be aware that once the vinyl is on, it's on for good.
The 3rd pix looks like it's located aft of pilot's seat below overhead lockers where the front privacy curtain is attached. Again, check for moisture with the meter and if wet, you may have a leak from the front cap to main body joint. In any case it may be a good idea to check all roof caulking for integrity. As far as the big windows go, I removed the inside aluminum holding ring and recaulked whether it needed it or not. When they drilled a hole for the rear BR window cut out, it was on the cutout line which was not covered by the outside window trim and eventually leaked.

I can share some pix of my project if you PM me with your e-mail address.

Good luck
Steve
Old 12-03-2013, 11:24 AM   #11
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Round Rock , By Grace of God, Texas!
Get a fresh, sharp Xacto blade
Make careful cuts in wallpaper along the top of crease.

Steam the crease with an iron or microwave a damp towel and carefully press on the paper to soften and press flat.

A long piece of painters tape will help his down until dry. Test before use that the wallpaper won't be damaged when removing tape.
cwf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 01:42 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
The first picture looks like water damage to me. I know because I've done a fair amount of water damage repair on my 92 LY and it always shows up as puffed out wallpaper. Check the roof seams along the front and back end caps and the quarter rounds that run the length on each side. Then check EVERY window for any signs of leaks around the inside rings.

If it were me, I would reseal every window with butyl tape and be done with it. As stated above, when I changed out the seals around the windows I found several that were not aligned properly with the cutouts. This caused leaks around the corners. It eventually showed up as wallpaper delaminating.

Just a suggestion, if you plan to do the window replacement then go to Home Depot and pick up an 18" to 24" (longest you can find) #2 Phillips screwdriver. It makes getting to the top screws near the cabinets MUCH easier.

Replacing the window seals is really not that difficult. Just remove about 40 screws on the inside of each window, remove the inside ring while the outside windows is held in place and out comes the window frame and all. Sounds kind of Christmasy. When doing it alone, I support the outside of the window with a long board propped against the top of the outside window frame while I remove the inside ring screws. I then go outside, remove the board and pull the windows out. You may need to use a paint scrapper to break the seal between the window frame and the body but once it breaks loose the window will just come right out.
Old 12-03-2013, 02:09 PM   #13
Airstream Driver Emeritus

1993 34' Limited
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkendall View Post
I've checked the walls, and they all seem solid.

I'll use a vinyl adhesive to try to smooth and reattach loose and rippled areas.
Where this is impossible, I'm thinking I should strip a section and replace it with some vinyl wallpaper so that when I prime and paint, I'll at least have a vinyl background to paint over. Hopefully, the wall will not look too different where I have replaced the vinyl wallpaper. I'll study the texture of the wall vinyl and try to match it as close as I can.

I'll use spackling compound to fill the nail holes, and the areas where the vinyl has holes that are less than the size of a dime.

My last question is the rippling around the window seals. I know this has to be water damage. If the paper is still attached, but just rippled, and the wall is still strong and firm, I think I'll just paint over the ripples and let them be.

Thank you all for your suggestions. You have been most helpful!!
Do not use Vinyl wallpaper and/or wallpaper adhesive. It will not hold up, guaranteed. The Texas Summer heats the interior to 120-130 degrees, which will destroy all conventional vinyl.
If you want a permanent fix, strip the factory vinyl off the wood surface and prime the wood with either Zinsser Gardz or an oil base primer. Both products will lock in the adhesive residue. After that you can repair the wall surface and either paint or like I did use acryclic venetian plaster, which is slightly flexible. You can also use a grasscloth type wallpaper, which will not shrink from the extreme heat. I used it around the kitchen counter top and then sealed it with a flat acrylic varnish.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	newbath.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	754.3 KB
ID:	201141   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kitchen1.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	509.2 KB
ID:	201142  

Air#13
Past Projects: 1979 28' Classic Motorhome, 1987 34.5 Classic Motorhome