Old 06-14-2013, 07:20 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1995 31' Land Yacht LE
Jonesboro , Georgia
Relay Question

I want to change the fan relay- does anyone know where the coolant fan relay is on a 1995 Land Yacht?? It has a new fan clutch, thermostat, and coolant temp sensor. The engine temps are staying cool but the fan is running constantly and cycling on and off randomly.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:06 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcm9970 View Post
The engine temps are staying cool but the fan is running constantly and cycling on and off randomly.
I don't know where the fan relay is, but I also don't understand your statement. How can the fan run "constantly", but cycle "on and off randomly"?

And then, if the engine temps are "staying cool", isn't it doing what it's supposed to do?

Additionally, I would think the fan is controlled by the computer. If there is a relay, I would look for it in, or close to the fuse panel, and it may be labeled there.

Old 06-14-2013, 03:16 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1995 31' Land Yacht LE
Jonesboro , Georgia
The fan is runs constantly- it does not shut off as it should when it reaches the desired temp range. It does cycle on and off at random times with no regard to the engine temperature. When and if it turns off it will immediately turn back on - that is what I mean by cycling. It is not operated by computer but by a fan clutch. I am almost convinced to replace the fan clutch again but wish to change the relay first. At least it stays cool - but sounds like a jet engine!
Old 06-14-2013, 03:23 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcm9970 View Post
The fan is runs constantly- it does not shut off as it should when it reaches the desired temp range. It does cycle on and off at random times with no regard to the engine temperature. When and if it turns off it will immediately turn back on - that is what I mean by cycling. It is not operated by computer but by a fan clutch. I am almost convinced to replace the fan clutch again but wish to change the relay first. At least it stays cool - but sounds like a jet engine!
OK, so which is it, a clutch fan, or an electric fan? If it in fact is a clutch fan, it's not electric, and it's not controlled by the computer.

If it's electric, it's not a clutch fan.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:27 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1995 31' Land Yacht LE
Jonesboro , Georgia
It is the clutch fan
Old 06-14-2013, 03:29 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
In my experience (although not with motorhomes), there's only two things that can go wrong with a clutch fan. The clutch can go bad, and the blades can fall off of it.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:39 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1995 31' Land Yacht LE
Jonesboro , Georgia
I understand all of this- I was wondering if anyone knew where the fan relay is. I can find them for sale all day- but the mechanic cannot find it on this model.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:45 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Again, and to be more specific, if it is a clutch driven fan, it's not electric, not controlled by the computer, and has no relay.

Could you post a picture of this fan and clutch?
Old 06-14-2013, 03:46 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
The clutch has a thermal spring that "locks" the clutch when the ambient temps get high. May not be directly related to engine temp but instead air temp coming off the radiator. Could be restricted airflow getting to the clutch or a bad fan clutch it self. Make sure that there are no obstructions in the radiator fins or AC condensor coil fins first before you change out the fan clutch.

You keep asking about a relay though so it's confusing for me. There is no relay associated with the mechanical fan clutch. If you're talking about the electric fan, then that's another matter.

Are you talking about the fan in front of the radiator or the one behind the radiator?
Old 06-15-2013, 06:34 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1995 31' Land Yacht LE
Jonesboro , Georgia
I am confused too- I think the mechanic is thinking about electric fans and not a clutch fan. Gonna have him replace the clutch. The airflow is good to the engine compartment.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:31 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
My bet is you'll be spending money on nothing. Get a new mechanic. Seems like he's clueless and just too willing to spend YOUR money.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:57 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1995 31' Land Yacht LE
Jonesboro , Georgia
You are incorrect in your assertion- but thank you!
Old 06-15-2013, 09:10 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Riverside , California
Many vehicles have both a self contained fan clutch and an aux electric fan.The aux fans are designed to come on when the engine driven fan can not keep the engine cool enough.There are also some computer controlled fan clutches,where air or electric clutches can be either on or off or pulse width modulated.I am not familiar with your motorhome model.To trouble shoot your system who ever is working on it should know how the system is set-up before attempting to repair it.A relay does not decide when a fan comes on or turns off.It is just a "slave" doing what it is told by another devise,most likely a temp sensor back in your year if the fan is electric
2015 Toyota Tacoma trd 4x4
2000 Jeep Wrangler 4x4
Bob4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:43 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob4x4 View Post
Many vehicles have both a self contained fan clutch and an aux electric fan.The aux fans are designed to come on when the engine driven fan can not keep the engine cool enough.There are also some computer controlled fan clutches,where air or electric clutches can be either on or off or pulse width modulated.I am not familiar with your motorhome model.To trouble shoot your system who ever is working on it should know how the system is set-up before attempting to repair it.A relay does not decide when a fan comes on or turns off.It is just a "slave" doing what it is told by another devise,most likely a temp sensor back in your year if the fan is electric
The fan control system on a P30/32 is not complex. As stated above, you have a mechanical engine driven fan that locks up above a certain temp and an electric fan that comes on above a temp threshold beyond that. Any competent mechanic should be able to diagnose and locate the correct part that's defective. Your mechanic shouldn't need you to help him locate where the part is. It's only a chevy 454 engine in a P30 chassis. There are two temp sensors. There is one for the dash gauge and one for the ECU. The ECU will turn the relay on to start the electric fan based on the sensors temp reading (resistance) ONLY when the temp is above a set point. The set point is based on if the AC is running or not. Fan cuts in at a lower temp when the AC is on. If you're telling us that the electric fan is coming on early then check the temp sensor near the water outlet on the engine. It's more likely to be the issue in this case then the relay. That’s assuming that the mechanical fan is doing its job and the engine is not running hot. If the engine is running hot when not under heavy load with the mechanical fan then that’s what needs to be corrected first.