Old 06-06-2013, 08:23 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Fort Erie , Ontario
RedMaxPro vs Zep

Much has been said about cleaning those streaks and restoring the shine on rigs.

After much research on this site and elsewhere, was convinced that RMP or Zep (same manufacturer) would work. The RedmaxPro was a Lowes house brand manufactured by Zep and the direct replacement is the heavy traffic one by Zep.

I have used the "wetlook" Zep product and am extremely happy with it. All of the accolades, such as better than "sliced bread" are correct. Four to five coats is recommended.

Preparation is 99.9% of the work including the removal PO's application of silicone sealant to seams which collect dirt. The wax goes on easy and even on the first coat when it is still wet, gives a tantalizing hint of what is to come.

As to removing the Zep, they produce a stripper product to do just that.

For procedures to apply, Taxman in his link did just that which he copied from Rv.net.

The additional thing I would recommend is a set of knee pads when you're cleaning the roof. This also gives an opportunity to be up close and personal with those seams that tend to leak.

The other thing to mention is when going over faded graphics is not to linger on them on the first swipe as they may bleed. But once the Zep is on, they're sealed in.

I also used a spray bottle to wet the rag to apply the Zep.

Regards

Steve

Old 06-06-2013, 09:08 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
I've done the Red Max Pro treatment on my MH and over a year later it still shines with no signs of peeling. Use a micro-fiber towel to apply it. Watch for drips and runs, but shouldn't be an issue if you apply lightly on each coat. If you work at a normal pace you should be able to apply the next coat right after you’ve finished an area. On my MH I broke the sides area into thirds. Don’t worry about how much area you overlap since you won’t see the seams once it dries. Remember that ANYTHING that's under the first coat will be sealed in, so as stated above, preparation is the key. I used no scratch 3M pads and barkeeper’s friend to do the removal of any oxidized gel coat. Wash thoroughly and let dry before you apply the first coat. Took about 3 days to do the whole (all 36') MH without killing myself.

Old 06-06-2013, 12:36 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Fort Erie , Ontario
The only problem I had was to clean the textured roof. Used a stiff little nylon hand brush and lots of elbow grease. Did not come out as a pristine surface, bur close enough. Figure if the roof has to be stripped, the dirt in the textured surface should lift off. Have some photos which I will download (If I can). You can notice the imprint of the antenna which cleaned up fab.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0183.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	240.7 KB
ID:	187568   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0196.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	215.0 KB
ID:	187569  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0223.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	236.3 KB
ID:	187570  
Old 06-06-2013, 12:55 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
I didn't do my roof with Red Max Pro. I planned on using Liquid EPDM Rubber on mine since my fiberglass roof was so porous. I plan to coat it some time this summer.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:03 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Fort Erie , Ontario
Mine appeared to be ok, just a lot of dirt. Next job is to reseal front and back endcaps, meaning taking all the old goop off and putting in new.

Steve