Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2015, 04:47 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1997 31' Land Yacht
Mahone Bay , Nova Scotia
Rear view camera info please

I know there must be posts on this subject, but can't find them with the search engine. If someone would point me in the right direction that would be appreciated.
Our '97 LandYacht 30 came without a back up/rear view camera, and now that we are planning to tow, we would like to install one.
We would appreciate comments on which brands or models that you have liked or disliked, also pointers on installation.
Wired or wireless? If wired, how difficult is it to run the wiring?
We want one that will be on all the time, not just when we back up. And having an external speaker would be nice too, so we can dispense with the walkie talkies.
Any and all help appreciated!
Thanks.
And may we point out that we are extremely jealous of those of you already using your rigs? We still have snow on the ground and it is cold!
wheelygoode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 04:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Searched "camera"

Airstream Forums - Search Results

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 04:58 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
I am in Saint John tonight and it is only trying to snow. Search rvrearview camera for a start and a bunch of stuff will come up. Also Google rvrearview camera and a bunch of stuff will come up. Jim

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 04-28-2015, 05:02 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
I second what Jim said, if doing a google search use, Rear View Camera on Airstream or Back up camera on Airforums.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 04:42 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1997 31' Land Yacht
Mahone Bay , Nova Scotia
Thanks, found a Rear View Safety one that looks good, plus of course a gorgeous one at $1000! Since we aren't out camping we are spending our time planning improvements to add to the list.
wheelygoode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 05:13 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
"That's Despicable!"-Sylvester the Cat

The "search" routine in these forums are horrible. If anyone thinks otherwise, then instead of telling someone to "search".... how 'bout YOU doing the search you find so easy... and post an actual LINK.

Break....

I have a backup camera I installed in my 2012 Ram which did not come with the OEM version. I was concerned because it was chea... err.... INEXPENSIVE (yeah...that' the ticket...) and have been very pleased with it.
I bought it at Pep Boys...(but Amazon is convenient)... a "PEAK" brand, 3.5" monitor, for which I also bought a RAM (makers of GPS and Cell phone mounts) MOUNT which clamps onto the "stalk" of my rear-view mirror. This places the monitor above, and on the same stalk as my rear view mirror, with the power lead to the monitor arriving via the headliner forward seam. (In the Dodge/Ram the lead comes up inside the left fwd doorpost and across/above the headliner and exits above the rear view mirror.... virtually invisible installation.)

The actual camera mounts on/above the license plate frame. (I actually found this to be the only difficulty... it collided with my tailgate until I lowered it to the lowest position on the top of my license plate frame...thankfully, that position worked fine.) It's a wireless camera which obtains power from the backup-light circuit, so that when the truck is placed in Reverse the camera is powered up and transmits a wireless/Bluetooth image to the monitor. The transmitter, I mounted within my RamBox, but it can be mounted anywhere on the vehicle...obviously the closer to the monitor the better the picture.

I originally purchased it to help me back up to, and hook up to, my boat trailer. It works GREAT! I can see my trailer ball...and I can see my arrival at the hitch and can accurately place the ball beneath the hitch.
The image is menu-reversible if you wanted to install it on a front bumper, etc. The camera is obviously capable of being powered continuously should you wish to mount it on a trailer (such as an Airstream)...which is exactly what I also plan to do.
I plan to order one, install it on the rear license plate of my 22' Sport Bambi...(or simply put it in the rear facing bathroom window) and run the wires to the transmitter toward the front of the coach. I also plan to buy the extension-cable ( $22 option offered by the mfr'r) and bring the transmitter onto the tow vehicle similar to my other camera. I plan to power it thru a selector switch. That way, I can use the existing monitor for either purpose depending on whether or not I'm towing or simply backing up to hook up to tow.

The camera has excellent properties, works in very dim light for nighttime use, and good focal-length. It has survived many scores of runs thru the automatic car washes and heavy weather. It costs $79 thru Amazon.
Amazon.com: Peak PKC0RB Wireless Back-Up Camera System with 3.5-Inch LCD Color Monitor: Automotive

Want a larger monitor? Here's a 4.3" monitor.
Amazon.com: Peak PKC0BU4 Wireless 4.3-Inch Back-up Camera Kit: Automotive

Not large enough? How 'bout 7" monitor?
http://www.amazon.com/Peak-PKC0BU7-W...back+up+camera

Want an extension cable?
Amazon.com: Peak PKC0RD-01 25-Foot Extension Cord Backup Camera Accessory: Automotive

All for less than $150!
Hope that helps.

(PS, the RAM mount was something I made up from a 1" ball clamp mount:
http://www.amazon.com/Stainless-U-Bo...rds=Ram+mounts
or a
http://www.amazon.com/Zinc-Coated-U-...rds=Ram+mounts
and a clamp
http://www.amazon.com/Mount-Composit...rds=Ram+mounts (longer ones also available)
and mounted the monitor onto a
Amazon.com: RAM Mounts RAM-B-238 RAM 2.43" x 1.31" Diamond Base with 1" Ball: Car Electronics with a simple 1/4" bolt and nut and star washer.
Doh! Great set up now for 2 years and no troubles at all.

Well, ONE minor one... In SOME locales, like shopping malls... store security devices which run on Bluetooth will display the INTERIOR of the stores. HA!
It's not a problem for me, but while driving down the city street I sometimes see the monitor "light up" and display the interior of the beer-cooler in the local convenience store. I simply turn the monitor OFF and leave it that way. Next time I click my key FOB to open my truck... the interior lights light up and that is also the circuit to the cigar-lighter which I had connected my monitor ...so the monitor wakes up automatically when returning to my car. This prepares it to instantly receive the signal from my backup light-powered truck camera. Works perfectly every time!
( In fact, last nite while shopping at Lowes, I returned to the truck and started to back up, and some yokel parked improperly behind and across the lot got worried as I backed toward him. He started honking his horn thinking I didn't see him, but I had him in my back up camera...which also has graduated scales in color to determine distance (can be enabled/disabled as preferred).... so I cont'd to back up. He cont'd to honk...ever so more excitedly and eventually leaned on his horn and started shouting.
So I deliberately pretended not to notice him and backed up to a point about 6" from him, ... smiled at him in my rear view mirror, ..put it in drive and left him behind.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 05:35 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
This is the one I use.

Works great- no more blind spots!
Old 04-29-2015, 08:51 AM   #8
Looking 4 new adventures

1996 28' Excella
Englewood , Ohio
I have used a RVS-770613 Rear View Camera System | One (1) Camera Setup for a couple of years with no problems just smiles. I use it when towing and when backing up. It was very easy to install and additional cameras can be added up to three total. I paid $250.00 for the entire system.

http://www.rearviewsafety.com/products/camera-systems/self-standing-monitor.html[/URL]
garympeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 10:56 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Newport , Pennsylvania
I had a rear view wireless camera installed at the factory. The brand is Voyager.

works great

Earl
EarlM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 11:33 AM   #10
Likes Shiny Tings

1958 26' Overlander
Portland , Oregon
I usually try a search first, but sometimes you just find a motherlode of posts that are out of date vs the current technology. New and improved products coming out all of the time. So its great to have updated threads or comments. Something from 5 years ago might not be that valuable for things like back up cameras. (especially since the earlier ones needed improvement)
MaryC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 01:06 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I find it easier to use a Google search and append Airforums.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 07:43 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2008 34' Classic S/O
Arnprior , Ontario
Hi All. I could be wrong here but I thought that the question was directed at trailer rear view cameras. If that is the case I use the Voyager system. It is wireless and has a built in speaker, one way to the driver. Power to the camera was pulled from my top clearance lights and total intsallation was just over an hour. If the question was on tow vehicle systems, pardon my reply!
Also I have seen a couple of replys to people that are having issues with 'search'. Some of us are new here and have a life 'off forum'. We need to support new inquiries with help and not 'put downs'. We were all new at this at some point and none of us have attained the level of "expert" just yet. Just saying........
white laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 10:17 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari
Old Orchard Beach , Maine
See the recent posts in this discussion:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f450...-83497-25.html. I just installed my wireless rearview camera recently and provided photos of the installation. Cost, including the wireless software downloaded to my iPhone from the Apple App Store for about $10, was just a little over $500.
2019-2022 President, Northeast Mountaineers Airstream Club
MaineStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 10:27 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Saint Helena , California
I have two of these:
iPhone Android iPad WIFI car backup camera

One on the license plate of the truck which makes hitching up a breeze, and one on the rear of the trailer for travel. Using my iPhone for the screen is a bonus since you don't have to have a permanent screen mounted somewhere.
- Mark Twain

bevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 04:27 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1994 35' Land Yacht Diesel
Denton , Texas
So my backup system is not working and am thinking that I will replace the camera with a wireless IP and use my iPad mini in the same space as the Sony monitor. That way I have GPS and camera on the same unit. Any thoughts?
dajen54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 04:22 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari
Jacksonville , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by white laker View Post
Hi All. I could be wrong here but I thought that the question was directed at trailer rear view cameras. If that is the case I use the Voyager system. It is wireless and has a built in speaker, one way to the driver. Power to the camera was pulled from my top clearance lights and total intsallation was just over an hour. If the question was on tow vehicle systems, pardon my reply!
Also I have seen a couple of replys to people that are having issues with 'search'. Some of us are new here and have a life 'off forum'. We need to support new inquiries with help and not 'put downs'. We were all new at this at some point and none of us have attained the level of "expert" just yet. Just saying........
I researched a while back and decided on the Voyager wireless system after reading the threads here. It sounds the most reliable of the wireless systems and fairly easy to install.

Since there is more than one model out there (I've read reviews on the WVOS511 and the WVOS 541) can you please advise which one you got and any further details of the installation would really be a helpful. The more details the better! I'm getting ready to replace the top back running light so this is a good time to get the Voyager hooked in.

I would appreciate any Voyager opinions from anyone who may have one -thanks!
asv2 is offline   Reply With Quote