Old 09-19-2006, 10:00 AM   #1

2005 30' Land Yacht Gas 30
Beaufort , South Carolina
Question Rear Stabilizer Bar

I am a new RVer with a 2005 LY30 and have been on several short trips and one "long" trip of 2500 miles. I had never driven an RV for an extended distance prior to the long trip and it seems that I have to steer too much i.e. it doesn't track like a car or pickup truck. Is this normal? My allignment is OK and my tires are balanced. I have seen ads in CW's pubs for rear stabilizer bars for the Workhorse P series chassis that claim to fix this problem. Any guidance would be appreciated. jbwsc

Old 09-19-2006, 11:39 AM   #2
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
jbwsc,
Welcome to the forum...can you elaborate more on your steering inputs? Are you "holding corse" or do you find that you need to provide input to counter wind, passing trucks, etc.? Does the unit had a slack spot at neutral (most noticable when on one side or the other of the crown in the road).

RV's definately have a different "feel" and require more attention and input than a car or large SUV. The frontal area, side area and size contribute to wind loads and weight shifts in a 18000# RV while turning are far greater than in a 4500# car.

Bascially, there is definately a difference the question is do you feel like something is abnormal. In a 05 you shouldn't have any serious wandering issue found in older units.

swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 11:51 AM   #3
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
You may just be noticing the motor home tending to yaw because it is taller, heavier, and has more inertia to control than a passenger car. One thing I have noticed with any motor home, is that if your fresh and wastewater tanks are all about half full, the waqter sloshing around will cause more swaying around than if they were all either completely full, or completely empty. It may be as simple as dumping the waste tanks and topping off the fresh tank before driving.
Old 09-19-2006, 12:12 PM   #4

2005 30' Land Yacht Gas 30
Beaufort , South Carolina
Thanks to all who replied. No, nothing feels abnormal - perhaps I expected the RV to feel just like an automobile. All comments are appreciated and I will just have to get more wheel time before I go jumping through hoops correcting a problem I really don't have. Again, thanks. jbwsc
Old 09-19-2006, 01:03 PM   #5
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Yes, in some ways it's more like driving a boat than a car. Lot of little corrections without the immediate feedback of today's modern sport suspension automobiles.

I've found that the more I relax while driving the better I can handle the RV. When I started out I was white knuckled and "driving" the RV down the road...after a while I came to the conclusion that I really guide the RV more than I drive it. After that things settled into a nice smooth ride.

Be the RV....nananananananaa.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 07:00 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
I don't drive a Mo.Ho. but 2 of our fire engines at different times (both new) displayed wandering issues. The manufacturer told us that as the tires wore in, it may improve. They both improved over time and became normal. Also make sure the air pressure is correct, especially that they are all inflated to the same pressure. That can also affect it.