Old 05-30-2016, 09:39 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1996 35' Land Yacht Widebody
San antonio , Texas
Questions on 96 land yacht?

Does anyone know where I can get the wiring schematics for my 96 land yacht wide body?
I'm having issues with my docking lights, I'm not sure if my switch is out or if I have a blown fuse?
Also I was looking underneath the front tv and found out it was connected to my inverter that has a switch on the dash. As far as I can tell the tv is the only thing hooked up to it. What else could this inverted be used for? I guess this could be used when you don't use the gen while driving so you can watch tv?

Plus I'm looking to convert my gen from LP to gasoline. I prefer gasoline does anyone have any experience doing this?

Old 06-02-2016, 08:55 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Ft. Lauderdale , Florida
My owners manual has a huge section with lots of wiring diagrams. I suspect you can get copies from Airstream by checking their web site for the downloads. If its not there contact them with your serial number and they may have whats needed.

My docking lights are very bright and appear to have a delay after pressing switch and operating. I am in the process of changing all the exterior lights out to LED which will greatly reduce the amps needed. They should not have anything to do with the inverter.

The small inverter in your center cabinet is suppose to power the TV and is activated by the dash switch. I just installed a new flat screen and it will not work when plugged into the inverter. Have reason to believe it may have been damaged last year when I had a low voltage problem at a camp site. I lost the microwave, TV, and battery charger when that occurred.

Old 06-03-2016, 08:35 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

San antonio , Texas
Thank you for the reply. Our inverter is working and we are actually staying at our first camp site near our house. It's nice to have a second home. We're pretty blessed to have most of our items working on the tv.
Old 06-04-2016, 07:31 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1998 31' Land Yacht
lafayette , Colorado
The inverter charges the house batteries and powers the tv, I have a rocker switch marked tv sound that powered the little amp to drive the external speakers, the dock lights are direct off the switch.
Old 06-04-2016, 08:13 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

San antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by garypk View Post
The inverter charges the house batteries and powers the tv, I have a rocker switch marked tv sound that powered the little amp to drive the external speakers, the dock lights are direct off the switch.
Thanks Garypk. I'm going through a learning phase on this coach. We are camping near our home and when I came back the battery was down to 11.5. I did not know the inverter charged the batteries and wondered how that worked? We had a rocker switch off on the panel and I finally found out that was why the coach was not being charged.
Old 06-04-2016, 08:16 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Double check if the inverter charges, usually the converter does that. I'm not up on mh though so could be wrong.
Old 06-05-2016, 07:09 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

San antonio , Texas
I really never knew the difference between the two.
Old 06-06-2016, 06:42 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1998 31' Land Yacht
lafayette , Colorado
Cool

You still don't know the difference if you listened to me! Sorry I mix them up also. A converter changes a/c to d/c to charge your batteries when plugged into shore power. An inverter changes d/c to a/c to power a/c powered appliances. The T/V on mine plugged into an outlet (tv is now gone) right next to the CONVERTER which is behind your passenger kick panel.
By the way did you find wiring diagrams?
Old 06-06-2016, 06:59 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor1974 View Post
Thanks Garypk. I'm going through a learning phase on this coach. We are camping near our home and when I came back the battery was down to 11.5. I did not know the inverter charged the batteries and wondered how that worked? We had a rocker switch off on the panel and I finally found out that was why the coach was not being charged.
Learning phase is forever in my case, had my MH for 10 yrs, worked under the dash and had unplugged the converter, 6 months later went out for a long weekend had the MH plugged in and all worked fine, after 3 days had a problem with some of the interior lights and water pump, when I got home on plugging in all was working, to diagnose the problem with lights and pump I disconnected the house battery and they stopped working until I found the pulled plug. Now I have to go back and see if any of the dash switches turns off my converter
Old 06-06-2016, 10:06 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1998 31' Land Yacht
lafayette , Colorado
Dave I assumed the rocker he was referring to was the 12v disconnect on the back panel of the dinette? I don't know of another.
Old 06-07-2016, 06:57 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

San antonio , Texas
I really appreciate all the info! I've always managed on AC - DC wiring but barely on AC. I also have learned by trial and error on the coach finding out what works what. We were camping last weekend and I came back from church and the coach battery wasn't charging. I found out that the converter was not on. I had a rockers with off in my panel in the back bedroom. Learn as we go!
My only issue now is how to get my docking lights to work? I could not find where the fuse was located on my coach to check the obvious first. Or maybe it's a relay?
Other than that my coach is in excellent condition and I'm very happy with our purchase. This thing has helped my wife relax! And that's very important
Old 06-07-2016, 10:09 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1998 31' Land Yacht
lafayette , Colorado
There is no relay. Power comes from a fuse in the GM fuse panel left of steering column to the switch & then to the lights.
Old 06-10-2016, 07:23 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

San antonio , Texas
Thanks for that info. I will track it down this weekend and see if a fuse is blown or if it's a switch. It would be nice to have the docking light. I love my RV! It's awesome for a guy like me. We live in it occasionally and what a treat to be a mechanic and be able to keep up the RV while staying in it. To top it off its a diesel.
Old 06-15-2016, 06:29 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1998 31' Land Yacht
lafayette , Colorado
Ever find your problem?