Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-08-2012, 09:20 PM   #1
RAG
3 Rivet Member
 
RAG's Avatar
 
2004 30' Land Yacht Gas 30
Canadensis , Pennsylvania
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 151
Images: 17
Question: TV Audio through Radio Speakers

The Owners Manual, Parts Manual and the Specification Sheets of the 1998 through 2005 Land Yacht 30’s all make reference to a “switch" to make the TV sound go through the 4 radio speakers.

Can anyone tell me where that switch is located and how it works?

Hope everyone had a GREAT Easter!
.
__________________

__________________
RAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master
 
masseyfarm's Avatar

 
Tub City , British Columbia
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,911
Images: 44
On my Clipper, the switch is located on the dash with the group of 8 HELLA rocker switches. The TV sound has to go thru the Sony radio power amplifier as the TV itself is not equipped to drive the speakers. On my Clipper, the amplifier is only 2 channel, and is located on the back side of the oak center dash console which has to be pulled out for access.

The wiring was already in place to the upper right cabinet on my Clipper, but I had to find it as it had been pushed back and hidden behind the upper side panel.

This is general information only, as yours will be different as the TV is dash mounted on yours. You will just have to look for the location of the amplifier.

The TV's are factory wired so that the TV goes off with the ignition on. If yours has been modified, the wiring may no longer be factory specs.

Dave



Quote:
Originally Posted by RAG View Post
The Owners Manual, Parts Manual and the Specification Sheets of the 1998 through 2005 Land Yacht 30’s all make reference to a “switch" to make the TV sound go through the 4 radio speakers.

Can anyone tell me where that switch is located and how it works?

Hope everyone had a GREAT Easter!
.
__________________

__________________
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:57 PM   #3
RAG
3 Rivet Member
 
RAG's Avatar
 
2004 30' Land Yacht Gas 30
Canadensis , Pennsylvania
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 151
Images: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm View Post
On my Clipper, the switch is located on the dash with the group of 8 HELLA rocker switches.

This is general information only, as yours will be different as the TV is dash mounted on yours.

Dave
Hi Dave,

The Clippers must be set up differently; I can’t find a switch on my dash. The TV itself isn’t up front on the ’04’s; it’s behind the dinette.

Thanks for the response….
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0215.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	155344  
__________________
RAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:11 PM   #4
Rivet Master
 
masseyfarm's Avatar

 
Tub City , British Columbia
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,911
Images: 44
Was that factory installed?
I guess yours is too new for me. The ones I have seen had the TV in the center dash area.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAG View Post
Hi Dave,

The Clippers must be set up differently; I can’t find a switch on my dash. The TV itself isn’t up front on the ’04’s; it’s behind the dinette.

Thanks for the response….
__________________
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:35 PM   #5
RAG
3 Rivet Member
 
RAG's Avatar
 
2004 30' Land Yacht Gas 30
Canadensis , Pennsylvania
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 151
Images: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm View Post
Was that factory installed?
I guess yours is too new for me. The ones I have seen had the TV in the center dash area.

Dave
From the factory, the 2004 and 2005 Land Yacht 30's have the TV's over the dinettes. The dash area was changed to a double-door smoke glass cabinet. I like to think of it as an interesting place to put a self-service bar.
.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0216.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	155345  
__________________
RAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:08 AM   #6
Rivet Master
 
richinny's Avatar
 
2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,917
check the radio manual. the new units (sony) have a menu to select different inputs. on mine ?(2011)i select aux for the tv sound.
__________________
Ricky
2012 F150 Super Crew 5-1/2' bed Ecoboost 4x4 3.73 elec. lock diff. Propride hitch
give life. kidney & pancreas transplant 9/9/06
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:49 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member
 
Airstream12557's Avatar
 
2004 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Evansville , Indiana
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 195
RAG, on my 2004 LY gas, the only TV that plays (played) through the remote speakers was the small TV in the bedroom. The switch is over the head of the bed. The TV, as supplied, was an analog TV and had no built in speakers. I removed the small TV and use it as a place to put an electric cube heater for the cool nights. We don't watch TV in bed, and the TV would have needed a convertor box or cable signal to operate, so we removed it. The dash radio also plays through the speakers over the head of the bed.

Sam
__________________
Airstream12557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:03 AM   #8
RAG
3 Rivet Member
 
RAG's Avatar
 
2004 30' Land Yacht Gas 30
Canadensis , Pennsylvania
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 151
Images: 17
I don’t see how this “switch”, (Part# 510929-06 Switch ~ TV audio through sound system), that I’m trying to locate would have anything to do with the dash radio, as the ignition would have to be left on in order for the radio to work. But, I could be wrong.

Sam, on our ’04 LY, the bedroom TV plays sound through the single speaker in the center of the overhead above the bed. The 2 speakers on the sides of the overhead are the dash radio speakers that somehow, along with the 2 radio speakers in the driver’s area, are switched to become audio for the TV’s. As for the TV signal, we don’t use the antenna for reception; the 2 sets are there exclusively for DVD movies and possibly cable TV at a campground.

Why is this "mystery switch" important? When you put a CD into my DVD player and turn the TV or TVs on, the music plays through the TV speakers. Playing the music throughout the coach on the 4 stereo speakers, should just be a much better sound.
.
__________________
RAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:13 PM   #9
Rivet Master
 
masseyfarm's Avatar

 
Tub City , British Columbia
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,911
Images: 44
Again, yours may be different. On my Clipper, the radio, TV, etc. is wired to the house battery circuit and not the ignition.


When I look at your model dash, it looks like a TV to me.
I did not know they moved them from the dash.

Dave


Quote:
Originally Posted by RAG View Post
I don’t see how this “switch”, (Part# 510929-06 Switch ~ TV audio through sound system), that I’m trying to locate would have anything to do with the dash radio, as the ignition would have to be left on in order for the radio to work. But, I could be wrong.

Sam, on our ’04 LY, the bedroom TV plays sound through the single speaker in the center of the overhead above the bed. The 2 speakers on the sides of the overhead are the dash radio speakers that somehow, along with the 2 radio speakers in the driver’s area, are switched to become audio for the TV’s. As for the TV signal, we don’t use the antenna for reception; the 2 sets are there exclusively for DVD movies and possibly cable TV at a campground.

Why is this "mystery switch" important? When you put a CD into my DVD player and turn the TV or TVs on, the music plays through the TV speakers. Playing the music throughout the coach on the 4 stereo speakers, should just be a much better sound.
.
__________________
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:26 PM   #10
RAG
3 Rivet Member
 
RAG's Avatar
 
2004 30' Land Yacht Gas 30
Canadensis , Pennsylvania
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 151
Images: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm View Post
Again, yours may be different. On my Clipper, the radio, TV, etc. is wired to the house battery circuit and not the ignition.

When I look at your model dash, it looks like a TV to me.
I did not know they moved them from the dash.

Dave
Yep, looks like a real nice flat-panel TV, but it's not. If you look very closely, you can see it's 2 dark smoke glass doors with 4 round glass-mount hinges and 2 door pulls.

Interesting what you said about your radio being wired to the house batteries. Mine requires the house batteries to be turned on, but it also needs the key in the ignition and the switch turned to "run" or "accessories". Kinda defeats the purpose of wiring to the house batteries, doesn't it?
.
__________________
RAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:52 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member
 
Airstream12557's Avatar
 
2004 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Evansville , Indiana
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 195
RAG, first, my radio, and I assume it is original, works directly off the battery. The ignition key does not have to be on or in accessories. How about that! I also removed the original TV in the living area and replaced it with a similar size digital. I saw no connection from the TV sound system to the four speaker radio sound system.
__________________
Airstream12557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:16 AM   #12
RAG
3 Rivet Member
 
RAG's Avatar
 
2004 30' Land Yacht Gas 30
Canadensis , Pennsylvania
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 151
Images: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream12557 View Post
RAG, first, my radio, and I assume it is original, works directly off the battery. The ignition key does not have to be on or in accessories. How about that! I also removed the original TV in the living area and replaced it with a similar size digital. I saw no connection from the TV sound system to the four speaker radio sound system.
Sam, when you say, "works directly off the battery", do you mean the chassis battery or the coach batteries? Mine works off the coach, but the ignition needs to be on. If I'm driving down the road and my wife turns off the coach batteries, the radio goes off, yet if parked, ignition off and coach batteries on, the radio won't function.

And there's still this "switch" that's supposed to be somewhere. I called Airstream this morning and left a message; hopefully, they'll return the call.
.
__________________
RAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:33 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member
 
Schools Out's Avatar
 
2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Rockford , Michigan
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 252
Images: 12
Don't know if it's the switch you're looking for, but on our 05 LY there is a well hidden (mystery) switch & turn knob in the cupboard above the TV. It's behind the plug on the top shelf. We've never figured out what it's for. But, a speaker switch & volume control knob make more sense than any of the other ideas we've had.
__________________
Schools Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:07 AM   #14
Rivet Master
 
masseyfarm's Avatar

 
Tub City , British Columbia
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,911
Images: 44
Sounds like the radio, and the amplifier for speakers, are wired to different battery circuits??

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAG View Post
Sam, when you say, "works directly off the battery", do you mean the chassis battery or the coach batteries? Mine works off the coach, but the ignition needs to be on. If I'm driving down the road and my wife turns off the coach batteries, the radio goes off, yet if parked, ignition off and coach batteries on, the radio won't function.

And there's still this "switch" that's supposed to be somewhere. I called Airstream this morning and left a message; hopefully, they'll return the call.
.
__________________

__________________
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sewer question - 1968 Airstream goswick Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures 8 04-11-2012 08:37 PM
Bedroom TV Removal / Adjustment DMT Audio, Video & TV 0 04-08-2012 06:49 AM
12V feed for TV rbr Audio, Video & TV 1 04-07-2012 07:54 PM
Question: How many HP?? Gocart General Repair Forum 2 04-07-2012 03:23 PM
Tow Question 10drum Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches 2 04-05-2012 08:46 PM


Airstream Classifieds



Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

RV & Travel Trailer Communities

Our RV & Travel Trailer sites encompasses virtually all types of Recreational Vehicles, from brand-specific to general RV communities.

» More about our RV Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002-2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.

Airstream News Delivered to your Email!

Stay up-to-date with Airstream news in your inbox!

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]