Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-10-2012, 03:50 PM   #21
RAG
3 Rivet Member

2004 30' Land Yacht Gas 30
Canadensis , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield View Post
If you can give us the model of your stereo, maybe we can find an owner's manual online and be of more help.
Vaughan, disappointing about the photoshop hat; very cool and the placement of the “shadow effect" made me a hopeful believer, oh well.

Regarding the stereo, it’s a JVC KDG400; standard equipment on my ’04 Land Yacht 30, and I have the original operator’s manual. As I noted previously, the Airstream owner’s manual, part's manual and spec sheets of the Land Yacht mohos all speak of a “switch” to accomplish this audio effect. I don’t know if there’s an output in the rear of the dash radio; it’s possible, but extremely difficult to access. But, that should be a moot point, as the Airstream claim is the inherent ability to play TV sound through the radio speakers as a standard feature of the Land Yacht coaches from 1998 through 2005, meaning additional wiring shouldn’t be required.

I placed a call to Airstream this morning and received a response about an hour ago. The customer service guy is great; I’ve spoken with him a number of times. I gave him all the info and the part number of the “switch” and he said he’ll hobnob with his fellow wizards and get back to me tomorrow. Should be interesting…..
RAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:12 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAG View Post
Vaughan, disappointing about the photoshop hat; very cool and the placement of the “shadow effect" made me a hopeful believer, oh well.

Regarding the stereo, it’s a JVC KDG400; standard equipment on my ’04 Land Yacht 30, and I have the original operator’s manual. As I noted previously, the Airstream owner’s manual, part's manual and spec sheets of the Land Yacht mohos all speak of a “switch” to accomplish this audio effect. I don’t know if there’s an output in the rear of the dash radio; it’s possible, but extremely difficult to access. But, that should be a moot point, as the Airstream claim is the inherent ability to play TV sound through the radio speakers as a standard feature of the Land Yacht coaches from 1998 through 2005, meaning additional wiring shouldn’t be required.

I placed a call to Airstream this morning and received a response about an hour ago. The customer service guy is great; I’ve spoken with him a number of times. I gave him all the info and the part number of the “switch” and he said he’ll hobnob with his fellow wizards and get back to me tomorrow. Should be interesting…..
After looking at the installation manual, very last thing on the bottom of page 4, it appears that there is an External Component input in the back, but it requires a special adapter to connect. It is "Line Adapter KS-U57 (not supplied with this unit)" That's disappointing, the JVC Arsenal KD-AHD79 that I installed uses a standard 3.5 mm input.

Let us know what they tell you. It still seems to me that using the stereo to drive the speakers would be better than depending on the TV to drive them. If the factory connected to the External Component input, it would still fulfill the ability to play the RV sound through the speakers as a standard feature.

In case anyone is interested, I attached the Installation and Owner's Manuals.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf JVC KD-G400 Installation Manual.pdf (322.3 KB, 55 views)
File Type: pdf JVC KD-G400 Instruction Manual.pdf (5.69 MB, 58 views)
Old 04-10-2012, 07:44 PM   #23
98 33' Beach House

1998 33' Land Yacht
Beaufort , South Carolina
Sound System Upgrade

My 98 33' did not have any switch to get the TV/DVD sound out to the factory speakers and there are only 4 four incher that really didn't impress me with their sound. Two in front and two over the bed in back.

I opted for a 5.1 surround sound system 120v that is independent of the 12v in-dash system. Best Buy had a DVD/FM tuner unit pre-wired with a subwoofer and 5 small boxed speakers. I put the sub under the couch and velcro mounted the little speakers on the sides of the cabinets and on top of the TV. One to the left as you enter the coach, one under the cabinet directly across from the front door and left and right over the front seats. The center speaker fit on top of the indash TV. All of the speaker wires were run inconspicuously and hidden very easily under the ceiling panel strips and behind the cabinetry.

The system was only $59! And the sound is amazing! The component fits very nicely in the cabinet directly behind driver's seat. It plays DVDs and CDs, as well as, having a nice AM/FM tuner so we can listen to local radio.

The in-dash radio is obsolete.

We have a separate TV in the bedroom that has its own speakers.
mossyoaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:20 AM   #24
RAG
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossyoaks View Post
My 98 33' did not have any switch to get the TV/DVD sound out to the factory speakers and there are only 4 four incher that really didn't impress me with their sound. Two in front and two over the bed in back.
Airstream does list the '98 LY 33' as having "TV Audio Through Speakers", but regardless, $59 seems like a great deal for what you described!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf fff30c30be5b95d9.pdf (792.8 KB, 65 views)
Old 04-12-2012, 09:06 AM   #25
Streamin'

1995 30' Cutter Bus LE
Madison , New Mexico
Switch with the green light

Quote:
Dowpells, as my LY is a non-slide, the cabinet containing the switch you mention, is behind the driver seat and above the sofa.

The switch has a green light that come on when the pushbutton switch is pressed, but only with the coach batteries on. That which you state to be a knob, on mine actually appears to be a 12 volt port, I think. From the outside of the cabinet, it can appear to be a knob, but have you tried to turn it? Check and see if it’s not just a plug-in hole with a high lip.

In either case, ...
The Green Light you mentioned is on the Winegard RV wall plate/power supply.

Here are the Operation instructions from the Winegard documentation:

“OPERATION: To receive cable signals from outdoor receptacle (Cable): Press switch to OFF (CABLE) position. Light on wall plate will go off showing that power is no longer connected to the antenna and that both TV sets are receiving signals from outdoor receptacle.

To receive signals from antenna: Press switch to ON (ANT) position. Light on wallplate will come on showing that power is connected to the antenna and both TV sets are receiving signals from the antenna.

NOTE: Make sure the antenna is in the operating position (up) and pointed at the station desired.”

Hope this helps

Bill
BarnacleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:54 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Rockford , Michigan
Bill, thanks for explaining how the original equipment was intended to work.I believe the PO made some changes with the tv connections in our mh. We have a Flexvision box mounted next to the VCR/DVD player that allows us to select 1 of 3 sources (ANT, AUX or VCR) for the 2 tv's & 1 of 2 sources (ANT or AUX) for the VCR. Aux is the cable connection. They may have had a dish & the only advantage I can see with the added connection box is the 2 tv's can be using different sources. (advantage? not sure)
Schools Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:24 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

2001 31' Land Yacht
payson , Arizona
More on TV audio.

I'm late to this thread having been away in the Land Yacht for two weeks.

I recently had to work on my TV sound when I relocated the TV from the dash to the wall behind where the dinette used to be.( see '01 Land Yacht Remodel' thread)

The original RCA CRT TV was connected from the headphone jack to an amplifier made by Audiovox called a 'Theater Sound System' model number RB-3600 that was located behind the TV. Using the switch on the dash directed the TV sound through the amp and out the radio speakers.

However when I came to install my new flat panel and tried to connect it the same way, although the sound was directed through the radio speakers, it was not amplified. I didn't know if there was a problem with the amp or if the new TV had a different output. I found the manual for the Audiovox unit on line, but it is now obsolete.

So, I took it to my local audio\video guy who came up with a cool solution. Instead of going through the existing amp he installed an FM transmitter in the wardrobe behind the new TV. The headphone jack from the TV goes to this transmitter. The transmitter gets power from the closet light wiring just above it.

I already have something similar for an Ipod so was familiar with the concept. For anyone who is not, the transmitter has a choice of FM wavelengths so you tune the radio to the same wavelength selected on the transmitter. You have to pick one that is not being used by a broadcaster.

The TV now has great sound with plenty of volume and can be adjusted from the TV remote. We used it on the last trip and it performed flawlessly.

Our stereo runs off the house batteries and is independent of the ignition. I believe it is the original stereo.

So the switch on the dash is now obsolete. Following are some pictures showing the installation and the dash switch. Bear in mind this is an 01 Land Yacht and later models may vary, but the solution would work for any situation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001 resized.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	189.3 KB
ID:	156608   Click image for larger version

Name:	002 resized.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	160.3 KB
ID:	156610  

Name:	003 resized.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	233.4 KB
ID:	156611  
01 LandYacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:50 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

2001 31' Land Yacht
payson , Arizona
Just as an afterthought to my previous post. My local guy charged me $50 for labor and materials, so in my case at least a very inexpensive solution with minimal wiring required.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:47 PM   #29
RAG
3 Rivet Member

01 LandYacht,

Sorry I missed your post; great explanation for the switch. It appears '01 was the last year for the dashboard "TV Speaker" switch, although it has remained in all AS LY publications through '05.

I like your FM tuner concept, but I need to make some other changes as my radio runs off the Coach Batteries, yet the ignition switch must be on "accessory" or "run" for it to work; go figure.

Thanks again for the explanation regarding my question, one that not even Airstream could answer...
Old 05-02-2012, 08:55 PM   #30
1 Rivet Member

2001 31' Land Yacht
payson , Arizona
RAG, you're welcome.

Seems strange that you need to use the ignition key. I wonder if that is how it was originally wired, or if someone replaced the stereo and connected it like a typical auto stereo?
Old 05-03-2012, 10:50 AM   #31
RAG
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01 LandYacht View Post
Seems strange that you need to use the ignition key. I wonder if that is how it was originally wired, or if someone replaced the stereo and connected it like a typical auto stereo?
01 LandYacht,

The stereo's an original equipment item and there doesn't appear to be any re-wiring. I'd have to conclude it's Airstream factory direct "strange".
Old 05-12-2012, 02:46 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

1950 22' Liner
2004 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
St Petersburg , Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to CapnTom
Hey Guys, I'm new to the thread...and I've developed a problem with my CD changer...everything works but when I play a CD in the changer I've seem to have lost the sound. It appears something got disconnected. It used to work. Its a factory installed JVC in dash Stereo with a JVC 12 Disc CD changer which is located in the smoked glass center dash cabinet. The radio/stereo still works and I get sound in all 4 speakers (the two forward above the dash and the two in the rear above the bed.) I don't think I've ever had TV audio from the stereo??? To be honest I don't remember. I've only had the moho since October...I bought it from the original owner and they've not changed anything. I was looking for some wiring diagrams but I may not be looking in the right place cause I can't find anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also...since we're on the subject I was thinking of installing a pair of outdoor speakers outside the coach for when we're out of doors via an A/B switch somewhere and would like to get some input as to the best way to accomplish this. Thanks

CapnTom

WBCCI/VAC #2453
AIR #35123
TCT

USAVTN
1950 Liner 22'
2004 Land Yacht 30 SL
2004 Chevy Avalanche

CapnTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 03:11 PM   #33
RAG
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnTom View Post
....but when I play a CD in the changer I've seem to have lost the sound. It appears something got disconnected. It used to work.
If you have it, check the manual for the JVC, it may be as simple as this: There's a software switch in the menu program of the JVC radio for "CD Changer" or "Other External Device"; it may have been inadvertently switched.

A question on your radio; does the ignition switch have to be on in order for the radio to work?
Old 05-13-2012, 06:17 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member

1950 22' Liner
St Petersburg , Florida
I've went through the various stereo settings to switch it but it still does not work. The in dash stereo has it's own cd player in it...then there is the 12 CD changer in the cabinet. I can play a single cd in the dash unit and it all works fine...as it should. but I've lost the CD changer audio.

And no my ignition switch does not have to be on. Never have I had to turn it on while camping. I have the two switches by the door...one Coach, One Chassis. Between these two everything is powered.

Oh...the only other thing I did was to have a In-motion DTV dish installed. The tv wiring does not appear to have been changed. But I'm not sure if I had this problem before the dish was installed or if it developed because of or after. I don't play CD's much but when I went to use it on my last trip it didn't work. I do have the JVC stereo manuals..but they don't explain the coach wiring. It's just the standard 12v input...speakers, and the input for the CD changer. The wiring under the dash is a birds nest. I wouldn't know where to start plus I'd be afraid of causing more issues if I start tracing the wires out. I suppose I could take the cabinet out and see what's back there...looking for the obvious disconnected wire or something. After all it is where the cd changer is mounted.

CapnTom

WBCCI/VAC #2453
AIR #35123
TCT

USAVTN
1950 Liner 22'
2004 Land Yacht 30 SL
2004 Chevy Avalanche

Old 05-13-2012, 06:53 AM   #35
RAG
3 Rivet Member

CapnTom,

I guess the software switch in the menu program choosing between CD Changer or Other External Device would have been too easy.

I’m not working with your exact setup, as my unit is an ’04, but the non-slide version and w/o a CD changer; JVC radio with single CD only. Also, my radio only works with the ignition on; seems this is a demonstration of Airstream’s "plan du jour” construction.

If your CD Changer is getting power, but not putting out sound, it makes me wonder if the connecting cable between the CD Changer and the radio was accidentally dislodged at either the Changer or the Radio end; possibly during satellite installation or just because……

Can you reach the two ends to check?
Old 05-13-2012, 01:18 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

1950 22' Liner
St Petersburg , Florida
Well, the cd changer end seems to be hard wired. I feel the wires exiting the unit so I'm assuming they are in tact. The other end however is a different animal. I'll have to cut some cable ties and possibly remove the stereo to get to it. However it may be easier to remove the cabinet as I suggested before. I'll take a look and see what I can do. It's pretty tight under the dash between the wires and not having any room to work or see so removing the cabinet may be my best bet. I'll wait til my speakers arrive(online order) and do both at once. No since in taking everything apart twice. I'll let ya know what I come up with. Thanks RAG.

BTW...does your TV audio play back through the stereo audio as some do? I'll take a look at that too while I have everything apart.

CapnTom

WBCCI/VAC #2453
AIR #35123
TCT

USAVTN
1950 Liner 22'
2004 Land Yacht 30 SL
2004 Chevy Avalanche

Old 05-13-2012, 09:03 PM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Castro Valley , California
I jsut pulled the factory JVC out of the dash & replaced it with a new Sony unit, bluetooth, usb and aux inputs, every bell & whistle. It runs with no ignition key, just lke the JVC.

When I was inside the dash wiring, there was an extra input in the back, and I think the box it came from in the dash is the "Line Adapter KS-U57 (not supplied with this unit)" but I don't know what it was supposed to be used for or where the input to the box came from.

I like the tv sound to come from the tv area so my ears & eyes are focused on the same place. so I added a 2.1 speaker system: a couple of small speakers and a little subwoofer in the dinette. I don't have any photos of the speaker stuff (one is lying on the bench in the photo) but these days you can get a great speaker setup that is designed for pc use. My system has a couple digital amps for the 2 channels and currently runs only on 120v, but so does the tv.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0483.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	253.5 KB
ID:	158279  
Old 06-15-2012, 05:26 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member
Airstream Dealer

2002 26' Land Yacht 26
Seabrook , Texas
I have been there with my 2002 Landyacht. If you have a Panasonic Radio there is 2 RCA plugs in the back of the Radio. These are Lf/Rt input from TV
kmamedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 06:29 PM   #39
RAG
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmamedia View Post
I have been there with my 2002 Landyacht. If you have a Panasonic Radio there is 2 RCA plugs in the back of the Radio. These are Lf/Rt input from TV
It appears '03 and below had a dash switch marked "TV Speaker", something the '04's & '05's are lacking. Also, during these later years, a change was made from Panasonic to JVC; I wish I had your setup.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:35 PM   #40
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Generally speaking, if you turn the battery store switch at the door to store, (no power to the dash), the radio will loose all custom settings from its memory and return to default settings.

Dave

Quote:
It appears '03 and below had a dash switch marked "TV Speaker", something the '04's & '05's are lacking. Also, during these later years, a change was made from Panasonic to JVC; I wish I had your setup.
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote