Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2015, 08:21 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Hickory , North Carolina
Problem with dash AC / Heat controls

Time to draw from the knowledge base here. Hopefully someone can help me. The dash heating / air conditioning controls in my 2003 Airstream Land Yacht has stopped functioning. I have attached two pictures, one of the front of the control module and one of the back of the control. The vaccuum works fine, just no power to both the fan control and the selector switch.

I have checked all the fuses, replaced the relay in the fuse box in the engine compartment and still no power to the control module.

Any one have this problem before and can point me in the correct direction to something I have missed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	360.8 KB
ID:	251360
rrzasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 08:23 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

Hickory , North Carolina
2nd image

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	409.4 KB
ID:	251361
Old 12-09-2015, 12:55 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Hickory , North Carolina
Anyone have any ideas for me? Still coming up empty in my search under the hood.
Old 12-09-2015, 03:26 PM   #4
jm2
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
1977 20' Argosy 20
northern valley , new jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrzasa View Post

I have checked all the fuses,

Attachment 251360

I would test the fuse(s) with a meter, and then, if accessible, verify that power is leaving the back of the fuse block. if power is leaving ok, can you trace the wire from the block to the control?

do you have a schematic drawing to refer to?

best,

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci.

WBCCI 2087 - AIR 3144 - TAC-NJ2

https://defendwally.org/
jm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 07:24 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1994 35' Land Yacht Diesel
Franklin NC , North Carolina
I had a similar problem in our older Land Yacht DP. However the A/C control module was a mechanical sliding arm set up. I went to a junk yard and found a similar unit in a 80's MOPAR car and replaced it.
Then I had the same problem in my 81 El Camino and found it was the vacuum module itself that was leaking an not switching the little heater doors open or closed completely.
The vacuum control module was a plastic ball about 2" round with about 8 vacuum outlets with hoses to the heat & A/C valves. A new one fixed the problem.
For what it's worth, it's a place to look.
Old 12-29-2015, 02:19 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Excella
Ontario , Canada
I have the same set of controls in my 2005.
Have these controls ever worked and then quit while you owned it?

as an aside, many owners have found that the vacuum hose that runs to the heat exchanger under the hood has developed holes or just plain rotted away. also vacuum hoses under dash curbside to roadside.

the only problem that I had with the switches was the 4th speed not working. replaced fuse in the engine compartment.

sounds to me like a no power situation.
I know that you have checked your fuses but in all 4 locations? Suggest that you try to verify if power is coming into the switches.
Is the ignition on? Fan will only work with selector in other than off. power at fan?

starting point only. Woody
woodytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 12:07 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Hickory , North Carolina
Update:

After two trips to two different RV repair shops, still not working. Paid almost $ 500.00 to tell me that Airstream has no schematics for my 2003 LY and save tearing the whole dash apart, there is no way to find the loose connection or cold solder joint.

The last service center told me that if they connect power directly to the two pink wires, then the control works but they cannot tear into the dash without the prints.

I think I may just run a line from the fuse box directly to those two pink lines and see if that will be a fix.

Anyone "Hot wired" their Heat/Ac controls before?
Old 03-05-2016, 08:11 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Problem with dash AC / Heat controls

What brand is the chassis? What make did that dash control panel come from?

You might find an answer on a Ford forum or a Chevy forum, etc.

I am thinking that it is very possible that there is another relay somewhere, that might not be with the others.

You could hot wire it in a pinch, if you do make sure you use a source switched by ignition and fused.

If I was going to do that I would come off of the battery or main junction center with two circuits each with an inline fuse immediately. I would run these to very near your splice in point where I would place two relays, one for each circuit.

I would switch the relay with an ignition source.

I would go to this trouble for a couple of reasons. The climate control system draws a lot of current. You do not want to piggy back this draw on another circuit.

The second reason is that should you ever find the real problem, this add on will be easy to remove with only A MINIMUM "unhacking" of the original circuit(s).

Talis gentium ceciderunt.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 05:24 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Excella
Ontario , Canada
OK $500. is big bucks.
Did you check out the suggestions that I suggested previously and if so what were the results? there are 4 fuse locations. one under dash driver's side. second and third in exterior storage compartment on driver's side. fourth in the engine compartment driver's side. and there is also a fuse inline from the battery to the heater controls in the engine compartment. did you use a meter when you checked each of these locations to see if you had power.? this is not rocket science. let me know what you found. lastly the wiring diagram that most of us have found useful is the same as the gmc/chevy 2500 or 3500 pickup trucks.
woody.
woodytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 11:11 AM   #10
Sneaky

Currently Looking...
2002 31' Land Yacht 30
Indian River , Michigan
I have a 2002 Land Yacht, I will be gettting it out of storage in the next week or so and can look through all my manuals to see if I can find the schematic. I know there are several there, just not sure for what systems. If it helps. Ask me in a week to remind me.
sneaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 02:58 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1998 31' Land Yacht
lafayette , Colorado
If you dont find freebies you can buy schematics here http://www.ultrarvproducts.com/store...egory&path=208
that is assuming you are on a 8.1L Workhorse chassis
Old 08-04-2018, 12:47 PM   #12

2004 30' Classic
2004 30' Land Yacht Gas 30
Lake Wales , Florida
If you go to google and search for 2004 airstream land yacht, it will bring up the complete manual
Jdowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 09:38 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2004 26' Land Yacht Gas 26
Thibodaux , Louisiana
I have a 2004 LY26, when I try to adjust my a/c it goes straight to heat. So have to leave it set in the coldest position. JW if anyone else has had this issue.
latenite23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 01:47 PM   #14
1997 Airstream Landyacht

1997 33' Land Yacht
Holladay , Utah
Hello. I am having the exact same problem. The problem being, when my gauge is on AC, all I get is hot air.

My 1997 Airstream Land Yacht is in the shop now. He looked at the problem.. told me that I need a new AC Compressor for a total cost of $1300 parts and labor. Does that sound right? I don't know much about the mechanics of a Land Yacht but this isn't critical to the operation so I declined the fix.

Would love to know if others solved the problem in a less expensive manner...
Carinabrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 09:26 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2004 26' Land Yacht Gas 26
Thibodaux , Louisiana
My system works, its just if it gets to cold and you try to lower the temp to make it warmer it goes straight to heat even in the A/C mode. So i leave it in the cold position all the time, as for your problem not sure, when I purchased my unit it was low on refrigerant I just put a can in and its been going for the past year or so. Before i spent that money I would do a DYI charge on it to see if that works.
latenite23 is offline   Reply With Quote