Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2013, 10:32 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 19' International
Beautiful , Colorado
Potential Purchase Advice Needed

Hi Everyone-

We're looking to get our first Airstream, and have been looking primarily at a travel trailer. Problem is...we'd have to buy a tow vehicle and a trailer. We were searching the local ads and came across this:

1999 30' airstream Land Yacht

Any advice? We've done so much research on the trailers...haven't looked much at the RVs.

Thanks very much!
muskypicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:35 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Hi - welcome.

Like so many decisions, there are too many personal opinions and "x-factors" that go in to them that you have to take all advice with a grain of salt and go with what works best for you.

For us - traveling with the dog and being able to unhook and visit the areas we're camping in pointed us toward a trailer option. We could have gone the other way and towed something along, but feel safer with Daisy more constrained in the extended cab backseat area.

My wife's parents tow an SOB trailer and that seemed to make sense to us - well, except that SOB part. I've got a buddy with a motor home and he loves it for his family. He doesn't tow a car and just hangs out wherever he goes.

Just depends on what you're trying to accomplish. Good luck!!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:03 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Evansville , Indiana
Muskeypicker, the rig shows nicely in the photos. You should go give it a look. Take those who would normally be camping with you and sit in the MH for an hour or so. See how it would fit for normal indoor activities, reading, watching TV, cooking, showering, etc. Second, you have a good airstream dealer in Denver. I would take it there and have it checked out. They could confirm that all the systems function, check roof and caulking in general, and see if there are any signs of leaks. Third, I would take a test drive. Take the Interstate west to the mouth of the Moffett Tunnel, that would give you a good indication of performance.

I didn't see mileage (total or MPG) in the ad. If it has many miles and/or the driving test raises concerns, have a mechanic look over the engine and drive train.

We have RVed for a number of years in tent campers, Class C, Airstream trailers (4 total) and the present Class A. Each type of camper fits certain activities/lifestyles better. This past winter we were in our MH for six months. We stay in California for six weeks in one campground and Florida four months in one campground. We typically attend a number of rallies, and make an occasional long trip. We have had this MH since 2009, put over 20,000 miles on it, and are very pleased with it from a performance and liveability standpoint.

There are many Airstreams out there. If this one is not a good fit, just keep on looking. Go by Windish and try out the various size Airstream trailers to help determine the size that would fit your activities best.

Check the WBCCI website to find a rally in your area. Call the local contact and make plans to drop in one day for a visit. I would say that anyone attending would be hapy to show you their rig and tell you what they like about it.

Just my general thoughts.

Sam
Airstream12557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:56 AM   #4
Ready to go campin?

1992 33' Land Yacht
Evans , West Virginia
It looks nice, motor homes are less work to set up than a TT and for me my wife will not tow so a motor home was our choice.
Old 04-20-2013, 12:54 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Jupiter , Florida
She looks like a well cared for unit. We have an 05 with a slide and it's perfect for the wife and myself. It does get a little close with two other adults, but it is livable. We find that we spend most of our time outdoors, so it works. Pay attention to odors, especiallys those that might indicate a leak. Also, look everywhere for signs of leaks including the inside of cabinets etc. We have only had our ly for a short time, but we love her. Good luck!
Off Course is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:51 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Castro Valley , California
We have had our 05 with a slide for a few years, but only getting out a few times a year due to other time issues (like work!) In addition to odors, look for discoloration where there may have been leaks, and check the sealing on the roof: leaks where the cap meets the roof are not uncommon, and I had water in the back of the cabinet next to the bed. A small leak over the passengers seat helped me realize that the front clearance lights often get dry crumbly seals, and my repair guy confirmed this common issue.

We started out with the same issue: buy a TT and a TV, or a moho and tow the Honda. That's how we ended up, but there is no base plate for our old Insight, and we found a Demco dolly at a good price, good fate. It all works pretty well, the only issue I have with our model is the trade-off: our rig is both lower and a little narrower than the neighbor's 30' Winnie so there is less storage space. I like to have a nice assortment of tools, & a bunch of other too-much-stuff so the basements are pretty full. The TT & TV would have helped, with space in the truck bed.

This unit looks nice in the photo's, and I agree with the above: spend an hour or two in it, and also get a professional look at it.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:41 PM   #7

1996 32' Cutter Bus
Petaluma , California
That one looks nice. Personally, I think the asking price is a little high considering it's a 14 year old front engine gas model (nothing against gas powered motorhomes). But it appears to have been very well cared for. Don't hesitate to widen your search nationwide though to really get what you want. We got a motorhome instead of an Airstream trailer for the same reason... we didn't want to buy a big truck and a trailer. Just take your time and be sure to try out some diesel powered Airstreams. Take note of towing capacities and cargo capacities of the different ones you look at. Also take note of miles per gallon if that's important to you. We get about 12mpg in ours. Good luck!
AdamB is offline   Reply With Quote