Old 08-07-2010, 06:14 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Porch Light - LED bulbs

The porch light on my '94 LY is a rectangular plastic job made by Bargman. On changing the bulb, I noticed that there was a half-moon shaped piece that appeared to be chipped out on the top. On replacing the entire fixture, I was able to see that the heat of the incandescent light bulb had melted the plastic and created the hole.

The new fixture I installed was a similar Bargman unit - all plastic (the old one had a metal backing plate - but instead of using the incandescent bulb, I had a flat panel of bright white LED's glued onto the clear lens of the fixture. The result provides enough light with very little battery drain.

On the topic of battery drain, I was at a unit rally for boondocking a few weeks ago. As a result, I have changed over a number of my incandescent bulbs for LED's. They consume a lot less power and last a lot longer.

I had originally tried some LED bulbs purchased at a discount from Princess Auto (the Canadian equivalent of Harbor Freight). However, after the rally, on the recommendation of one of our unit members, I ordered the replacements from led4rv.com - made in the USA, not China. I'm not going to bother with the fluorescent lights - they're reasonably efficient, and I use them sparingly. However, I've changed the following lights over to LED's - the aisle lights (but not the courtesy lights), the dinette fixture, the two bedroom sconces, the fridge, the light over the stove (where the fan is) as well as most of the square or double square lights.

BTW, the guy from led4rv.com had done a lot of repair work on Airstream and Argosy trailers, which led him to set up this operation.

1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 08:00 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
West Linn , Oregon
We just bought a replacement LED porch light from LED4RV; it came with the light, bezel & lens cover. It looks really good! We also bought some of the 13 SMD LED cluster lights and like them too. The orders arrived quickly (3 days, maybe?) with their free shipping. Good stuff!

sharbours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 11:36 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
I've seen the ones that go on the AS trailers, including the round porch light. They are well made and shed quite a bit of light. The LY uses lighting that is common to SOB rv's, thus the Bargman rectangular porch light.

At the same time I ordered all new marker and clearanvce lights, but not for the same reason - i.e., electric consumption while running a motorhome is not an issue.

I found that water leaks into the rig through the fron clearance lights. The front is a bit lower than the rear, so water running off the roof runs to the front and over the windshield. The front where the clearance lights are is slightly rounded, which can result in leaking under the bezel, even with the so-called rubber gasket. I found that the water running over the clearance lights actually leaked in under the lens, and dripped into the motorhome through the base for the light bulb. A previous owner of my rig had attempted o stem this flow using putty (we discovered this when we pulled one clearance light and changed it last weekend. After that I ordered a full set from LED4RV.COM and tomorrow I'll be on the roof methodically changing all the clearance lights. The led ones are completely sealed, so when they are mounted (using silicone sealant), it will be waterproof. I should add that it has been 5 years of trying to fix these leaks - but I think that this should puit an end to that problem.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:21 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 35' Airstream 350
Carriere , Mississippi
Send a message via Skype™ to wxbuoy
We would like to go the LED route also. Is there any cross reference chart or something to tell us what to use where. i.e What would we replace a standard 1141 12v bulb with? How about the 11 inch fluorescence? Any help would dbe greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Dave and Felicia
Old 08-08-2010, 08:46 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxbuoy View Post
We would like to go the LED route also. Is there any cross reference chart or something to tell us what to use where. i.e What would we replace a standard 1141 12v bulb with? How about the 11 inch fluorescence? Any help would dbe greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Dave and Felicia
Dave & Felicia...check at LEDs 4, Recreational Vehicles ... That's where we got our replacements. Good customer service and fast delivery....cruise through the various types of LEDs....the site shows you what LEDs will replace what other types of bulbs... Bright white and warm light versions available for each kind. We are now 100% LED inside, porch light, step light and closet and storage compartment lights.

PS: Look forward to meeting you at the 4CU Balloon Fiesta Rally! It's great.
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 12:33 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1991 35' Airstream 350
Carriere , Mississippi
Tbrich... We are looking forward to the balloon fest as well as meeting everyone.

I can't find any cross reference on led4rv for what the LED equivalent of a 12v 1141. Well I am off to learn about how they size bulbs so I can figure out if an 1141 is replaced by a 1256 or an 1142.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:14 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Tbrich... We are looking forward to the balloon fest as well as meeting everyone.

I can't find any cross reference on led4rv for what the LED equivalent of a 12v 1141. Well I am off to learn about how they size bulbs so I can figure out if an 1141 is replaced by a 1256 or an 1142.
Dang...I could have sworn I saw a chart there somewhere...I'll look around at some resources and see if I can find it...will get back if I can... I pretty much went by the fixture I was replacing lights in and whether the baynet base had 1 or 2 connect points. Is used the 1156 series (single connect point)....TB
Unit #3954
Old 08-11-2010, 04:55 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1991 35' Airstream 350
Carriere , Mississippi
Yeah, that's what i was thinking about doing, but I want to avoid the whole "you set the trailer on fire again" look from my wife... Electricity is the one thing that I never fool with. I just out a new intelacharger in and would. Hate to do. Something stupid and damage it. I am on the road and i stopped at loves to get gas. They actually had the LED 1156's. I will get one try it and than order the rest from led4rv.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:05 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
I know that look! It's to be avoided at all costs! Too funny.
Unit #3954
Old 08-12-2010, 11:06 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Quote:
Yeah, that's what i was thinking about doing, but I want to avoid the whole "you set the trailer on fire again" look from my wife... Electricity is the one thing that I never fool with. I just out a new intelacharger in and would. Hate to do. Something stupid and damage it. I am on the road and i stopped at loves to get gas. They actually had the LED 1156's. I will get one try it and than order the rest from led4rv.
If you contact Dan at LED4RV, he'll be able to tell you what your replacements are. With incandescent bulbs, the wattage can be critical, especially when you are using plastic fixtures - they melt with heat. With LED's, this isn't an issue, since the power consumption is about 5% of that of an incandescent. I found that the 1156 ones were fine in my LY.

I would caution you to use the warm white in the interior and the bright white (which is a blueish light) for the exterior. I also changed the bulb over the stove and in the fridge, as well as the aisle lights.

I also bought, and am in the process of mounting, his LED clearance lights for the exterior. I found that the original Airstream clearance light "fixtures" tended to leak - i.e., water running off the roof cascades over the light tends to leak into the light under the amber lens, run down to bulb socket and drip into the motorhome via the wire that makes contact with the base of the bulb. The fixtures we removed and replaced had rust in the sockets and one of the previous (enterprising) owners had put a blob of putty where the wire goes into the base of the bulb socket.
Old 08-13-2010, 01:44 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2012 31' Classic
Visalia , California
Here is a shot of mine after some bulbs from a vendor on eBay. PM me if you want the info. The reflection is an outdoor flourescent house light. Now I don't care if my wife wants to leave the 'torch' light on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5059.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	205.6 KB
ID:	108694  
Roger & Roxie (rore62) Smith (Air#178 - WBCCI#1646)
Visalia, CA (between Fresno & Bakersfield)
2012 31' Classic - Nuestra casa rodante
Blog: http://www.casarodante.org - Old Airstream slides: http://airstream.casarodante.org
casarodante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:20 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
the road... , California
Noob question: how do you open the step light cover?

Aherm, I just figured it out. You pop it out with a flat-head screwdriver if any other noobs want to know.

Handy folks, how did you get the step light open?

The rectangular plastic thing has "LIFT TO REMOVE" imprinted on it, but I can't get it to pop out.

Thanks!