Old 04-08-2016, 10:00 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1996 30' Land Yacht
Benson , Arizona
Parking pawl install

Actually, I guess this should be called removal - install will be in the reverse order...

After seeing a single sentence comment on another forum about installing a parking pawl in another pawl-less P30, it seemed to make sense for our 96 LY30 as well. Our GVW is 16500, and the pawls were apparently installed in coaches up to 16000. Close enough for me. Additionally, I had us weighed a few times, and maybe half loaded but fully tankered (not sure if that's a word, but it should be) we are right at 14660. Pretty sure we will not be adding 1340 lbs of food...

Called around to a ferw tranny shops, and Tucson tranny answered the phone correctly:

Q: "Do you guys have a tranny boneyard out back?"
A: "Yes."

Hard to believe, but 2 of the shops had no idea what I was talking about...

So. He hunted around a bit, found a good looking carcass from a 4L80E, and had 2 kids remove it whilst I took pics. Hard to believe no one has gone down this road before. Once the pan and filter is pulled, you have access to this hardware. Although on my tranny it does look like I will have to pull one side of the exhaust. Anyhow, the spring holds the pawl "up", and is slipped onto the protruding nub you can see just above it.

The mechanism:

Removal of the pawl: It rotates on a pin that resides in the hole you can see in the aluminum casting. On my LY30 tranny, there is so much grit/dirt/road grime that I cannot see if the freeze plug is there, or if they just did not drill the hole. I think I have clearance for a 90 degree angle drill if I have to drill it out. Should get to this in a few days.

The pin (maybe 3/8" diameter") is inserted from the outside of the tranny, and held in place with the clip. The freeze plug then gets inserted in the same hole as the pin (from the outside), keeping everything oil (well, tranny fluid) tight. Clip and freezeplug below: the pin fell on the floor...

This is the standard linkage plate and safety switch (keeps you from starting the vehicle whilst in gear) from the outside. The non-pawl end of the pawl rod is attached to the shifting mechanism shaft (inside) at this point .

From the inside. The small diameter (maybe 1/4") rod going off to the left is what engages the pawl.

This plate with detents is the shifting mechanism to which the pawl arm is attached; you can just see it running off to the right in the little valley. I purchased all the parts, but prolly did not need to purchase this. Note the nail-looking thing at the bottom. Yes, the shaft is held in with an aluminum nail! Once the nail is carefully removed , the nut is turned, and allows the entire shaft to be removed.

Total investment so far: 2 hours of time and $20 for the parts...

Disclaimer: I am comfortable doing this on our rig; this may be, and prolly is not suitable for anyone else. We intend to keep our rig awhile, and we treat hardware... intelligently. This would prolly NOT be suitable for holding the coach on a 30% incline; or maybe even a 20%; or hell, maybe even on level ground.... This is not a recommendation or even an insinuation that this crazy idea will even work. I would not presume to know better than GM, those smart folks who gave us the autopark system ... . Proceed at your own risk, as this info is probably wrong. This information is worth EXACTLY what you paid for it. If you follow this information, or not, you will probably die within the next 80 years. YMMV.

I'll post an update when I get back to this. Right now I have stripped the old sealant from my fans on the roof (what kind of owner puts new sealant on top of old?), and have to get some new ones installed and sealed prior to some rain later today.

pago cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 10:40 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Be sure to use your park brake every time you park. Or don't disconnect auto apply, if you have one. Otherwise you are likely to encounter torque lock on even a small incline. That's why the pawls were left out of the units to begin with.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote