Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-18-2007, 12:32 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2003 31' Land Yacht 30
Old Hickory , TN
Out with the old...

I would like some feedback please.

I ran across this web site because I am tearing out and replacing the carpet in my '03 31' LY. The Restoration Forum has a discussion titled "Has anyone tried this flooring" . It has gotten me motivated and I have jumped off the deep end. I have removed driver, passenger and swivel seats along with couch and dinette. The carpet is going out the door. By the time I finish, I hope to have made decisions on the following - your help will be appreciated.

What ever I end up using, I plan to run as far forward as possible.

What have you used in the under-dash area to replace the carpet?

What suggestions do you have for covering the dog house?

Why would Airstream put carpet in the toilet/bathroom sink area??? I need to figure out how to get the toilet out and what to use in that area. Lots of different levels and corners in a small space. (Maybe that's the reason for the carpet there and under the dash in the first place?)

Most of the dialogue in the above mentioned thread is by TT owners. What do MH restorers feel about laying the flooring directly on the wood? TT users don't ride down the road in the refinished area so I am wondering about noise. If I put any kind of sound deadening material under the new flooring, I am may be defeating the purpose of putting down a water proof flooring (I seriously like the idea of this Konecto flooring)

Now that I have everything torn out, I am looking at whether I want to put everything back in where it was or take the opportunity to change the lay out. It's not easy to "move furniture" in a motorhome... any creative ideas?
Between 'steams...
reday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 12:57 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Welcome!

Welcome to the Forums! I personally admire the fact that you've removed old carpeting and are planning replacements after old stuff out.. SHows a bias for action that is admired here...

As for wooden flooring, many have used in MH or trailer over thin foam underlay on top of wood subfloor without major problems.. It is a bear to cut corners and fit into tight spaces, which is mostly why A/S used carpet in bath areas.. MH Flex not any worse than trailer flex, and there doesn't seem to be strong difference between lengthwise runs or sideways runs of wood/laminate pieces. Both are going to require spacing around edges, edge moldings, and should be expected to "float" forwards after some use.. If you really want waterproof in bath/shower area, you might try to find similar vinyl flooring in wood or even tile/stone pattern/texture, as sheet that wouldn't let water through...

Be sure and look for and address any existing sub-floor issues or leaky areas when carpet removed..

Finally, if you found flooring story you liked by searching archives, you have option to PM member who posted and asking them for update or other details of experience to learn more...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 07:22 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2000 35' Land Yacht XL w/slide
Vermilion , Ohio
Ralph,
I have a 2000 LY AS350 XL
It has Tile in the kitchen area and bath then carpeting every other place
We too want to replace the carpet we think we can keep it cleaner, plus or tiles have cracked in some places.
What we looked at was wood flooring with the foam underneath
My problem was yours about the dog house,then I thought of just keeping it carpet, or paint or skinning it with fiberglass and paint.
So my thoughts went to under the drivers and passenger, the wood would be a pain but possible.
This is my main concern, If I put a wood type material over the entire floor, and while driving anyone could slip, slide, fall on this slick surface.
Maybe I'm just negative but so far with owning one of these beasts I'm learning to plan for the repair, plan for the unlikely, plan for the worst case.
this is just my opinion nothing More,I'm sure others have had success, And I Truly want to place a wood floor thru out the beast, I just don't know if its a good Idea. Please others what are your views / concerns ??
Regards
Rob
myfirstrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 07:48 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2003 31' Land Yacht 30
Old Hickory , TN
Rob,

My wife says my middle name is OSHA. I put my seat belt on to back out of the garage. So, I understand the concern about the flooring being slicker than the carpet. I am still probably going up to the dash line with the flooring... When you tear out the carpet you will see where the cut off point will be. I am thinking about replacing from there forward with a combination of upholstery vinyl and truck bed liner paint (that should hide all kinds of ugly stuff that was covered with the carpet). Unless someone comes up with something better I will probably look at the upholstery vinyl on the dog house as well.

Ralph
Between 'steams...
Old 11-20-2007, 02:37 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
I've been looking into changing the flooring in my '94 LY. I called the AS factory and they quoted me $4K to remove the carpet and put in laminate. Personally, I don't like laminate - we travel with dogs; in the event of an "accident" I need to be able to clean it up. The problem with laminate is that it is built on particle board which, if it becomes wet, swells. This can cause the seams to open. So after much cogitation, I'm going to opt for a high quality linoleum (Congoleum) - I've seen some in AS trailers that look like hardwood flooring and I believe it would wear well.

Cost is also a factor. Linoleum is probably the least expensive option because the labour cost to do the job is the lowest.

As for the floor in front of the driver's seat, I plan on having heavy rubber, similar to what is used on stair treads. That area gets the most abuse because you cannot always wipe your feet crawling up into the cab.

I should add that I did look into hardwood flooring, but it would have to be finished with epoxy resin, similar to that used for bowling alleys. The curing time between lays of epoxy resin is about 1 week. I can't see myself having the rig tied up for two months in order to do this job.

I'll likely have my flooring done this spring.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 04:02 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1994 35' Land Yacht Diesel
Franklin NC , North Carolina
Flooring

The previous owner of our Land Yacht had replaced the bath carpet with hardwood that didn't match the kitchen hardwood. He also built a hardwood floor that raised the flooring between the front seats to the same level at the driver and navigator floor.
When it came time to replace the carpet (standard with any used RV), we
pitched the elevated floor. We then used the original carpet as a rough pattern to cut new stuff for all areas remaining as carpet. Then trimming as we stapled and glued where necessary into place. It's like a new RV.
We like the hardwood in the bathroom but still use a rug in front of the toilet
(drip zone) and in the hall. Much easier to wash them that keep after the wood all the time. The prefinished wood in the kitchen is starting to show age and nor has a snap-down rug runner covering most of it. May try vinyl flooring there the next time.
I know a lot of people don't like carpet, but we travel 100 nights a year and the warmth of carpet is nice in cold weather, worth the upkeep.
Happy Trails
Old 11-29-2007, 05:14 PM   #7
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkmagikca
I've been looking into changing the flooring in my '94 LY. I called the AS factory and they quoted me $4K to remove the carpet and put in laminate. Personally, I don't like laminate - we travel with dogs; in the event of an "accident" I need to be able to clean it up. The problem with laminate is that it is built on particle board which, if it becomes wet, swells. This can cause the seams to open. So after much cogitation, I'm going to opt for a high quality linoleum (Congoleum) - I've seen some in AS trailers that look like hardwood flooring and I believe it would wear well.

Cost is also a factor. Linoleum is probably the least expensive option because the labour cost to do the job is the lowest.

As for the floor in front of the driver's seat, I plan on having heavy rubber, similar to what is used on stair treads. That area gets the most abuse because you cannot always wipe your feet crawling up into the cab.

I should add that I did look into hardwood flooring, but it would have to be finished with epoxy resin, similar to that used for bowling alleys. The curing time between lays of epoxy resin is about 1 week. I can't see myself having the rig tied up for two months in order to do this job.

I'll likely have my flooring done this spring.
I just got rid of all the carpet in my house and restored the 1940's hardwood. Found some stuff called Dura A Coat(800-790-2570). It's made for garage floors. Goes on with a roller, self leveling. I put one coat on every day, could walk on it in less than 4 hours. After the third coat waited 72 hours and moved furniture across it. Looks great, but cost over $100 per gallon.
mel
choctawmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 05:59 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Is this the stuff?
Dura-Coat LLC -- Resurfacing Concrete

I don't see how it would work with wood flooring, although they have an epoxy resin coating.

In my case, however, the cost of laying hardwood would be quite a bit more than a high quality linoleum, both the material cost and the labour to put it in place. The only fixed expense is the cost or removing and reinstalling the chairs, and cabinets.

Howard
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 02:21 PM   #9
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkmagikca
Is this the stuff?
Dura-Coat LLC -- Resurfacing Concrete

I don't see how it would work with wood flooring, although they have an epoxy resin coating.

In my case, however, the cost of laying hardwood would be quite a bit more than a high quality linoleum, both the material cost and the labour to put it in place. The only fixed expense is the cost or removing and reinstalling the chairs, and cabinets.

Howard
Howard, Reading off the can "duracoat, Platinum Series, Potective Coating- Concrete-Wood-Metal, Ideal for Heavy Traffic Areas" It's interior/exterior. Stinks like thunder for a week or more. I got it from Warehouse Distibution, Lindenhurst, NY.

Now about the floor in my 'Silver Bullet', I've started removing the chairs and TV cabinet then will get the carpet out, but, I can't figure what is holding the TV cabinet in. I've removed 3 screws inside the front at the bottom and 2 screws in the window seal, but if wont move... DANG! HELP!
mel
choctawmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 08:12 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2003 31' Land Yacht 30
Old Hickory , TN
Update

Well, I have been fairly busy since the first post on 11/18. I have an update on progress for those interested posted on my website. Have a look and tell me what you think. Go to my web site at: http://web.mac.com/reday/ and click on Airstream Saga for the whole story...
Between 'steams...
Old 01-06-2008, 11:39 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2003 31' Land Yacht 30
Old Hickory , TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by reday
Well, I have been fairly busy since the first post on 11/18. I have an update on progress for those interested posted on my website. Have a look and tell me what you think. Go to my web site at: http://web.mac.com/reday/ and click on Airstream Saga for the whole story...
I tried adding one of my pictures from my website to the above post last night... no luck until I read on through the forum on adding pics and finaly found the reference to the "paper clip". That info needs to be in the first entry. The real problem was that the file would not upload. Here goes another try!

But it works to take a look at the URL above for the rest of the story...
Between 'steams...
Old 01-06-2008, 01:32 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Central , Ohio
VERY nice! (I am talking about the Web site as well as your great work on the AS!) Great job!

Susan

1984 310 Limited Motor Home "The Rockin' A"
Alumatube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 02:00 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2003 31' Land Yacht 30
Old Hickory , TN
Thanks...

Appreciate it Susan. As you will note I managed to delete my picture in the post above. Will try to get it back in there later. Right now I need to go try to make it through this Titan's football game!

Sincerely,

Ralph
Between 'steams...
Old 01-06-2008, 03:21 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Central , Ohio
We're with you on this one - we have dark green Berber carpet in our 310 moho and will be ripping it out shortly and replacing it with hardwood floor. I have been thinking and thinking of what to do with the doghouse, and am looking very forward to seeing how your vinyl comes out. We'll be doing a Western bunkhouse theme and may use leather or vinyl. I just can't stand the carpet (and yes, it's in the bathroom, too, bleah).

Go team!

Susan

Old 01-06-2008, 04:15 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2003 31' Land Yacht 30
Old Hickory , TN
Picture back

Here's the picture that got deleted from my post above:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Remake.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	271.7 KB
ID:	52111
Susan,

The dog house is the last major step in this. I tried gluing the vinyl on my self and realized that it is going to need to be sewed. The marine upholstery shop that I took it should finally have something for me next week. Stay tuned. If this doesn't work, I may try paint. Either a low sheen marine quality or textured truck liner paint in a color that will work with everything else. That is a black moving blanket over it in the pictures. My fear is after paying for that expensive vinyl and the cost of applying it that it will not be durable enough for where it is located.

Back to the ball game...
Between 'steams...
Old 01-06-2008, 04:29 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Central , Ohio
Removing the dinette really opened up the space in your LY, and it looks very comfortable and live-able! Very nice.

The only thing I was worried about with covering the doghouse with vinyl or leather is the scuffing of feet or other things across it, or other scuffs when it has to be removed for engine work. If it is distressed leather, that should be fine, but smooth leather probably won't cut it. I am intrigued by your thought of truck liner paint, since that would help deaden sound and keep stuff on top of the doghouse from moving around. Hmmm.....

Susan

Old 01-07-2008, 09:55 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2003 31' Land Yacht 30
Old Hickory , TN
Another option for you...

You might also consider a combination of paint and leather to go with your theme.

I have a neighbor/friend who is a South Dakota transplant to TN who decorates steer skulls with leather patterns. Sounds weird, but actually looks good. I could see the doghouse painted a color that works with your decor and then trimmed with glued on leather trim... that way you could avoid having the leather in those areas where scuffing will be a problem.

If you are interested, I will see if I can get a picture of his work to you for inspiration.

R.
Between 'steams...
Old 01-08-2008, 07:06 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Central , Ohio
That sounds great, Ralph! I would love to see a picture, if it's not too much trouble. And that's a good idea about painting then gluing on trim. I'll have to think on that....

Thanks!

Susan

Old 01-08-2008, 07:37 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2003 31' Land Yacht 30
Old Hickory , TN
Susan,

I retrieved my doghouse today and I am checking out the bed liner paint option. Price looks like a wash, I can get it with a fine texture finish and they can color match.

I have pictures of the skulls from Randy. They turned out to be buffalo not steer, but what do I know.

I will post one here and if you want to see a few more PM me an I will email them to you.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0448.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	286.6 KB
ID:	52254
Between 'steams...