Old 04-27-2016, 12:46 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1995 30' Cutter Bus LE
Grande Prairie , Alberta
Opinions on 1995 Land Yacht

We currently have a 1984 Vanguard motorhome and are finding it too small for our family. We went and looked at a 1995 Land Yacht last night. 35,000 km and apparently needs a heater core.

Husband thinks the unknowns are too great. I know it will be a project, but I'm not sure how much of a project.

The vinyl on the ceiling is sagging in places, but is the worst near the bedroom.

I had asked about leaks and was told that there were none. This sure as heck looks like leaks to me! A previous owner used some kind of white paint on the roof and it seems to be water soluble as it's on the windows and everywhere.

It's missing a chair and I'm not sure if it originally came with a dinette or not. We'd need to replace one or the other as my daughter needs a seat with a seat belt.

Is this a lost cause? They're asking $8000.

Old 04-27-2016, 03:35 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1994 35' Land Yacht Diesel
Franklin NC , North Carolina
Water stains don't occur without water

Looks like a 21 year old neglected RV. Your husband is right, keep looking.
The $8,000 price is drop in the bucket compared to what else you'll have to spend on that thing. When looking at used RV's, look for pride of ownership in the seller and you'll find a well maintained coach that you too can take pride in without costing a fortune.

Old 04-27-2016, 08:48 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Ft. Lauderdale , Florida
I agree with Paul....best to pass on this one and keep looking. One quick tip that always shows if there have been leaks is to look down the exterior sidewalls from bumper to bumper. If you see ripples or waves in the skin....that's a huge warning sign!!
Old 04-27-2016, 08:52 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Ft. Lauderdale , Florida
Another tip is to always ask the owner if it was stored inside or out. Reason mine looks so good is cause it spent 15 years living inside a tobacco barn near Durham. Of course down side is I found a huge rat nest in my air filter!
Old 04-29-2016, 02:06 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1994 35' Land Yacht Diesel
Franklin NC , North Carolina
Leaks and indoor storage

I agree with Mike about indoor storage, it's the way to get longevity out of any piece of equipment. We've now kept our coaches inside for over 20 years. It's not just the leak problem but it keeps the gel-coat, paint and roof healthy too. With inside storage I keep the batteries on tenders and it's always clean and read to go. The big thing is I see it nearly every day and do a little maintenance when I see it needs something. Now it's in my garage at home where we live, but I used to keep it across town in Florida and had to make periodic trips to check on it. Once I lost my indoor storage and had the rent a RV storage space in a 45 foot RV carport (Included 15 Amp electric) for couple years. That was still much better than outdoors and less than $200 a month.
I always thought it was a bargain because the annual damage to the coach was more than that if it was sitting in the Florida sun & rain.
Once I met a possum that had taken up residency in the front compartment, but wire mesh solved that problem.
Old 04-29-2016, 03:24 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
I purchased my rather abused 92 Land Yacht in similar condition for $2000. Spent another $4000 to get her road worthy. Unless you VERY mechanical and able to do all the work yourself, run away from that one.

PS: There are/where leaks for sure on that one. The dropped ceiling and stains are a dead giveaway.
Old 04-30-2016, 01:09 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2000 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel
Fresno , California
What's your ideal price range? I'm putting my very loved 2000 360XC Diesel on the market soon...
Old 05-01-2016, 11:48 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2004 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Surprise , Arizona
Exclamation Body Damage could just be the begining

If there are water leaks inside the rig, you can bet there is additional damage underneath the roof in the structure. I experienced this problem years ago when I had another trailer. Now I have 2004 Landyacht 30SL. Love it but did not anticipate issues with the chassis that I am now experiencing. This will be a big additional cost that I won't go into here. But if the body has not been maintained you have a much bigger risk for the Chassis. Be sure to get it checked out before you write that check.
Old 05-01-2016, 11:50 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1995 30' Cutter Bus LE
Grande Prairie , Alberta
Thanks for all the feedback. LucasS...if you're in the US I'm sure it would be a fortune to come and get it from Canada...thanks though!

My husband is a mechanic and extremely capable, so he can handle the chassis. He's taken a look and feels it's fairly sound mechanically. We're hoping a friend who's a RV Technician will be able to take a look at the rest. So, no decision yet.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:37 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1999 31' Land Yacht
Kingston , Washington
Keep on the search. There are motorhomes out there, so good luck. By the way, Grande Prairie is my birthplace, some 83 years ago. Told it was very cold on January 24th!
Mike