Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-25-2012, 07:54 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

mount pleasant , Pennsylvania
Onan Marquis 7000 running.. but...

This is my first question here, and I'm praying its an easy fix.

We have a 1995 Airstream Land Yacht. Our generator is an Onan Marquis 7000. When we last really used the generator in June, it started and ran a little rough, but everything worked. At the end of July we parked the RV at a park for a friend to use for the next month. While driving it to the park, it started, shut off half way there, and would not start. While it was parked and hooked up to power at the park, we performed the general maintenance on the generator... changed filter, oil, spark plugs, etc. It then started up with no problem (don't know if this matters, but he did start the generator with the RV plugged into the shore power).

Which brings me to the question. We went to retrieve the RV yesterday. Unhooked everything as usual and started the generator to use the roof air conditioner (the dash air hasn't worked since the ride home from our June vacation). The generator started, but the air conditioner (front or back) would not run and there is no power to anything.

I'm praying that its an easy fix.. we are heading to VA beach over Labor Day and kind of need to have this work. We did buy this RV used and its been a blessing and a nightmare all at the same time...have never taken one trip without something happening.

Any thoughts? We've checked the 2 AC circuit breakers on the generator, one was flipped but they are now the same. Everything under the bed has been checked, manually flipped and flipped back several times. Kind of clueless now...
kboggs315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 11:37 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Are you sure you have the breakers at the generator in the correct position? You stated that one was tripped and that you now have both set the same, but are you sure they are in the closed position? Can you measure the voltage at the breakers in the generator compartment? If so, start trouble shooting there first. Check both input and output side of the breakers. If you have power there then it may be a transfer switch issue. If not, then it may be that the breakers are set wrong or the slip rings/brushes need to be cleaned.

Unlike many Onan gensets, the Onan NHM series generator will continue to run without producing power. I'm a little concerned that the one breaker was tripped in the first place. That should not have happened even if plugged into shore power with the generator running. I do this all the time while exercising the genset when the LY is not in use. Attached is a repair manual for that unit.

When I bought my 92 LY, the genset would not start or continue to run unless I held the choke manually. Ended up dropping the unit to rebuild the carb and clean the slip rings. No way to work on the genset when installed in the cabinet due to VERY limited space. Can’t even replace the plugs.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 965-0531B.pdf (2.61 MB, 722 views)
92landyacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 12:16 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Thanks for the starting point! I will admit I'm pretty anxious about getting this fixed in such a short time!
Old 08-25-2012, 12:29 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
If you don't already have one, I'd pick up a cheap DVM (Digital Volt/ohm Meter) to see what's going on. I would never own an RV without one. Good luck on the repairs and ask anything you want.
Old 08-26-2012, 02:17 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Thanks for the responses... stupid question...what is the correct position for the breakers at the generator? It runs no matter what position!
Old 08-26-2012, 06:02 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

We gave up... taking it to a repair shop. Can't waste time since we need it usable in four days.v Thanks to all.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:30 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Let us know what the problem was.
Old 08-23-2016, 04:07 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1999 33' Land Yacht
Pooler , Georgia
Has anybody changed the gen fuel line on a 1999 33' Land Yacht ?
Cobia13 is offline   Reply With Quote