Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2008, 12:11 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2003 31' Land Yacht 30
New Bern , North Carolina
Old TV OUT

I want to replace my glass tube front TV in my 2002 Land Yatch 30' MH with a flat panel LCD. Has anyone with this model done that yet? Steve
spat61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 01:38 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2000 35' Land Yacht XL w/slide
Vermilion , Ohio
See "10 Yr. Old Cutter.....Now What"
No pictures posted yet but sounds like maybe what we both need / want
My 2002 LY350 also has this 19 inch Sony Tube,it is in the dash, right over the dog house
Now that the HD-LCD's are out I want to do the same, but the bracket I would want to be able to raise the flat panel "in elevation" so while sitting on the couch or at the table you don't have to look down maybe so the bottom of TV is top of dash??
anyway if you find anything please let me know
myfirstrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 03:06 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2003 31' Land Yacht 30
Old Hickory , TN
Me too...

Looking at doing the same thing and have not come up with a final plan yet. When I bought my '03 (used), AS had just moved to a flat screen mounted over the dinette and had "converted" the place where the tube set was located in the dash into storage. I did not care for it. The TV location in the kitchen was all wrong too. I am thinking about the flat screen in the dash location, but on an articulated mount that could be raised and pivoted manually. I did this on a truck camper and used my computer (Mac) as a TV (using eyeTV converter) and did music (iTunes), DVD and computing (wireless mouse and keyboard) all through the one screen. If I did this again, I would mount the computer and a dedicated inverter in the space behind the screen... until then, I might just use a digital converter box when over the air analog goes away next year.
Between 'steams...
reday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 04:09 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Vermilion , Ohio
So the key to this might be Find the bracet (articulated mount ) first then do some type of cabinet work
Old 02-25-2008, 04:32 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2003 31' Land Yacht 30
Old Hickory , TN
Yup

Sounds like a plan. Something like the VM-3 from Sanus gives you everything but the ability to raise and lower height... I have not figured that out yet.
$109 on their web site

Product Type Specifications
TV Size Range 13" - 30" / 33.02 - 76.2 cm
Maximum TV Weight 30 lb / 13.61 kg
Mounting Pattern
100mm x 100mm
75mm x 75mm
Tilt Range +15 / -15
Swivel +90 / -90
Pan +90 / -90
Roll +0 / -0
Between 'steams...
Old 02-25-2008, 07:06 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Kerrville , Texas
TV location must be a universal dislike on these Land Yachts. I was originally thinking I would put a flat panel LCD over the chair next to the door, and hang it from the cabinet above. It would cover the window but since that window does not open and is usually obscured by the open door, it is not a problem and we could sit on the sofa looking straight ahead. Since then I removed the chair and am considering mounting it on the wall below the window. I only wonder how difficult it will be to get the cable from the antenna routed to it. Could probably go through the wall right of the passenger seat. The space where the old TV was will make a good storage cabinet for the Airstream manual which will fill half of it.
Texas Hill Country
Santart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 07:11 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Vermilion , Ohio
Mini wine fridge ??
Old 02-25-2008, 09:12 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2003 31' Land Yacht 30
Old Hickory , TN
I like that...

I had thought about a wine rack! Like the fridge better.

Frank, you remember I moved the chair too (you for your cat & me for the dog). I have a small chest there now that a flat screen could be mounted on. Would probably re-route antenna on around through the dash and under the trim I have covering the flooring beside the passenger seat. It could also be re-routed easily under the coach and up through the floor.

Somebody just needs to lead the way...
Between 'steams...
Old 02-26-2008, 05:50 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Vermilion , Ohio
My LY has a composite arm rest on the drivers and curb side that goes all the way to the floor and just past the rear of the passenger seat so running cable power is no worries, and behind the passenger seat I have the barrel chair and window kind of same spot as Frank was talking about.
Except my window opens and Grandma sits in the chair so don't really want to block the window
Was thinking about from the cabinet above the dash but hate the idea of the weight ??
So I guess I'm back to replacing the tube TV, maybe Two brackets, one just to lift it up and they the second that attachés to that ????
just thinking out loud.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:57 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Kerrville , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by myfirstrv
My LY has a composite arm rest on the drivers and curb side that goes all the way to the floor and just past the rear of the passenger seat so running cable power is no worries, and behind the passenger seat I have the barrel chair and window kind of same spot as Frank was talking about.
Except my window opens and Grandma sits in the chair so don't really want to block the window
Was thinking about from the cabinet above the dash but hate the idea of the weight ??
So I guess I'm back to replacing the tube TV, maybe Two brackets, one just to lift it up and they the second that attachés to that ????
just thinking out loud.
Don't you have an end table to the left of the barrel chair? Maybe you can mount a TV on a swivel so it is across from the sofa, and encroaches on the door just a bit when rotated. Or, maybe mount it under the cabinet above and travel with it in a position where it can be seen from the kitchen, and swing it to sofa viewing position when you are all watching. Just thinking quietly...
Texas Hill Country
Old 02-27-2008, 06:33 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Vermilion , Ohio
[IMG]file:///C:/1_Rob/camping/rv/Copy_of_1robs_rv_2000_airstream/100_2524.jpg[/IMG]
Attached Files
File Type: pdf robsrv.pdf (48.1 KB, 137 views)
Old 02-27-2008, 06:36 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Vermilion , Ohio
My layout is a little different
Passenger side from front to rear
Passenger captain chair
barrel chair
steps
short wall
dining table
re fridge
Ill try to post picture
Old 02-27-2008, 06:50 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Vermilion , Ohio
see attached
Attached Files
File Type: pdf robsrv2.pdf (60.5 KB, 140 views)
Old 02-27-2008, 06:55 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Vermilion , Ohio
Let me know if you can open the two files I sent
I have no idea how I did it, or if its correct

This computor stuff is for the birds
Old 02-27-2008, 07:57 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Kerrville , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by myfirstrv
Let me know if you can open the two files I sent
I have no idea how I did it, or if its correct

This computor stuff is for the birds
I was able to see a single image on each PDF but I understand the setup. My best suggestions are as follows: A. Make use of the divider between the steps and the dinette by mounting a set on top with a swivel. When turned toward the sofa, it will encroach just a little into the stairwell and it can easily be turned toward the kitchen/dining area as well. You would be limited to a set no wider than the divider wall. B. I believe the barrel chair slides forward so mount it under the shallow cabinet above and swivel the chair to face the kitchen. Try to find a mount that will allow it to pull out and swivel as well. I am not certain there is such a mount but a little searching will tell. As I am writing, I see the complexity os B. and the simplicity of A. All these failing, C. would be to store the TV in place of the tube set, and make it so it can be easily removed to sit on or in front of the doghouse when you are parked and settled in. These sets are very light weight and that would be the easiest of all, but will require turning your head to the left albeit not as much.
Texas Hill Country
Old 02-27-2008, 09:12 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2003 31' Land Yacht 30
Old Hickory , TN
Ram Mounts

Check these guys out. I have used their stuff for lap tops, GPS's, depth finders and fishing rods. They have something for about anything you want to mount. You could attach a Vesa plate/ball to the screen and move it to multiple locations that you run antenna to if you wanted.

I need to stay up front with mine since I use the AUX on the radio to feed the TV/DVD sound to. It's not surround, but with the powered sub woofer, it sounds better that the TV speakers. I may end up storing the screen for the ride and attaching it with something from their extensive catalog at the camp site. I can see a pipe base mounted to the dog house that would raise the screen above the dash (or suspend downward from the cabinets over the dash?) with a swing arm for side to side movement terminating with the vesa/ball to the screen...

RAM Mounting Systems, Inc.
Between 'steams...
Old 03-18-2008, 01:00 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2003 31' Land Yacht 30
Old Hickory , TN
Another Mount...

I just ran across another mount that is worth looking into. Camping World is carrying Thule's Smart RV line. It is called the Smart RV LCD TV Post #5580. You can see it at Thule SMART RV

If you look under the customer service tab then Instructions, you will see how it works. With additional RV Pod kits, you can have multiple mounting locations... Think inside/outside RV along with the patio or garage at home.

Think I'll take a look next time I'm by CW.
Between 'steams...