Old 08-29-2009, 07:49 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Richmond Hill , Georgia
Question Oh my poor roof!!! So very sad

I just had to sit down and cry today. I "inherited" a '93 AS LY MoHo, "Classic Plastic". Have taken it on one trip so far. It rained and I discovered leaks in the galley ceiling and bathroom area. By the end of the week, the ceiling in those two areas had dropped a bit. Now I'm faced with replacing the roof and having the interior ceiling re-attached. I've been told the roof replacement would be $8000.00. And that is just an estimate. I would welcome any ideas that would allow me to make some temporary fixes until I can afford to have it done right. I would also like to know if there are any other places in the Coastal Ga, or SC area that could do this work for less money. I am familiar with the guy in Beaufort, so if you know of anyone else, please pass it on.

Old 08-31-2009, 09:32 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1994 35' Land Yacht Diesel
Franklin NC , North Carolina
Roof replacement?

I don't understand roof "replacement" Our 94 Land Yacht has an aluminum
roof that has a seam all around the edges to connect it to the fiberglass
rolled edge. That seam has a a 4 inch fiber band that we coat with
Cool Coat Elastemeric rubberized coatings.
Can't you reseal that edge, then work on the inside? What would you replace on the roof?

Old 08-31-2009, 09:55 PM   #3
aluminauti

Where we , Park it!
I agree with Paul. We had a '94 Plastic classic AS Land Yacht motor home with roof leaks - so bad in one rainstorm that I stayed up all night replacing pots to catch the water!

We eventually took the motorhome into a covered area (boathouse tent) for 2 weeks of R & R on the roof. Throughly cleaned off the roof, pulled anything that we could remove & resealed all the vents, air horn, etc. Once cleaned, we recoated the ENTIRE roof surface to the outside edge with Dicor's elastometric roof coating. Never had a problem after that with leaks.

Whatever you do, ensure that the leaks have stopped before attempting any interior repairs.

Between our repair area rental, our labor, and all the sealants, Dicor, etc., we probably spent between $1500- $1800. We did hire a chap to assist us as well.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:09 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Gotta Love this forum!

Saved you $6200 in two postings!

whew.

Paula
Old 09-01-2009, 08:39 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Richmond Hill , Georgia
I think my roof is different

Thanks for all the replies.
The problem is that I have a 93 AS LY. My roof is vinyl. There is not aluminum on the roof except for around the edges. At least that's what I think. I have a major crack in the vinyl that had been poorly patched. Don't even get me started on the skylights and the sealant around all the other roof attachments.
Anybody with a 93 vinyl roof?
Old 09-02-2009, 06:54 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1990 36' Land Yacht
Bradenton , Florida
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by possummamma View Post
I just had to sit down and cry today. I "inherited" a '93 AS LY MoHo, "Classic Plastic". Have taken it on one trip so far. It rained and I discovered leaks in the galley ceiling and bathroom area. By the end of the week, the ceiling in those two areas had dropped a bit. Now I'm faced with replacing the roof and having the interior ceiling re-attached. I've been told the roof replacement would be $8000.00. And that is just an estimate. I would welcome any ideas that would allow me to make some temporary fixes until I can afford to have it done right. I would also like to know if there are any other places in the Coastal Ga, or SC area that could do this work for less money. I am familiar with the guy in Beaufort, so if you know of anyone else, please pass it on.
GMC Co-op in Orlando, did also repair/restore AS, you might give them a call. They have always appeared to do good work at a "reasonable" price.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:28 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Aluminum Roof? OR Vinyl?

At first I thought my roof was vinyl too. It has a peddled texture and had been painted with a sealant. But is is aluminium with fiber at the edges and the openings like the vents and skylights. When I replaced the A/C
I discoverd that it was textured aluminum. That Elastomeric coating feels like rubber and may make you think it's vinyl.
I don't think they had rubber roofs in 1993. Anybody with a 1993 want to verify that? Anyway the Elastomeric stuff is a grea heat reflector as well as sealant.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:00 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1995 35' Land Yacht Diesel
Roswell , Georgia
Clean it and seal EVERY roof seam and penetration with Eternabond. EASY to use and perfoms as advertised. Saved my coach. Once it was finally sealed up, we fixed the hanging roof liner and did not worry about leaks any more.

EternaBond | Roof Leak Repair Products for RVs and Homes
Old 09-08-2009, 08:53 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Richmond Hill , Georgia
Wish I could visit

I wish I could visit one of you that has a 93 AS LY "Classic Plastic" just to see what it should all look like and get some ideas on fixing my roof. I'm a very visual person. If anyone could send me pictures of their roofs/repairs pictures I would certainly appreciate it!

Took the bus out this weekend and learned a lot.

Like which valve opened the black water vs. the grey water. Mine aren't labeled. Like paying attention to how much water I was allowing in the holding tank (yes it backed up into the bath tub and I about died until a nice camping neighbor explained to me what was going on and how to fix it.) Had to drive veeeerrrrryyyyy sloooowwwwlllllyyyy to the dump station.

Found another leak around the passenger door from the AC run off.

I swear I just can't see how that roof can be aluminum anywhere. I've poked around the big crack and it is so pliable and feels like vinyl. The next layer is that awful thin wood.

Looking for a place that will let me use some space to store it while we work on the roof once we figure out how much of it we can do ourselves. Really needs to be replaced. Too many soft spots!! Once it's enters the convertible stage, we have to keep it covered.

It I had one wish it would be to take it to someone, tell them the things I'd like done to it and tell them I'd pick it up in a month. But then I'd have to take a second mortgage on my house. Not a good idea!

I'd love to get the name of the person and number of the person in FL.

Thanks again for everyone's suggestions. Keep them coming.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:09 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Leaky Roof

If you are sure you want ot have it done, call Jim Bounds at Cooperative Motor Works in Orlando FL 877-275-4462. I used him many times when we owned a classic GMC. Their business is keeping old coaches on the road, especially GMC's & Airstreams. From repair to Restoration.
Paul
Old 09-09-2009, 02:57 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1990 36' Land Yacht
Bradenton , Florida
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Dobbin View Post
If you are sure you want ot have it done, call Jim Bounds at Cooperative Motor Works in Orlando FL 877-275-4462. I used him many times when we owned a classic GMC. Their business is keeping old coaches on the road, especially GMC's & Airstreams. From repair to Restoration.
Paul
I 2nd the recommendation of Jim at GMC Cooperative. He and his people were always friendly and helpful.

PS. we have both a 26 ft GMC Palm Beach and a 36 ft Land Yacht, so we will be seeing Jim periodically, don't ya know!!
Old 09-09-2009, 05:21 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida
Maybe you could post photos of your roof for verification.
Old 09-19-2009, 03:14 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Noblesville , Indiana
Leaky roof

To me it does not matter what the roof material is. The most important thing is to get it sealed up tight. I had leaks at the exact same places you describe. The source was of course the plastic skylights around the anchor screws and poor (or old) caulking. I completely removed all the old and resealed with Sikaflex UV stabilized caulk (gray) from the tube. Squeezed it out and then smoothed with putty knife. (See pics) I did this with every vent, A/C, roof rack and seam I could find. The whole thing was then coated with elastomeric rubber roof coating. The inside can wait (and dry out) after the outside is fixed. Use of a dehumidifier after the repairs were done makes it go faster. I'll put up two pictures. E-mail me if you need additional
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	after2.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	302.1 KB
ID:	87370   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT2802.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	467.7 KB
ID:	87371  

Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT2810.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	366.8 KB
ID:	87372  
Old 09-19-2009, 03:26 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Noblesville , Indiana
Forgot to add the site for roof coating. About halway down the testimonials page are before and after photos of my coach. And you are welcome to visit in central Indiana to see the results anytime.

EPDM Coatings | Liquid Roof | Liquid Rubber - Residential and Commercial Roofing for roof leaks

Tags
interior repair, land yacht, roof