Old 05-28-2013, 11:59 AM   #1
Ready to go campin?

1992 33' Land Yacht
Evans , West Virginia
Nothing like the wind/awning

while at Charlotte Motor Speedway camping. water pooling did this. A few hours before going down the road the awning came open with a big gust of wind at 65 miles per hour and detached all of the rivets holding the awning. I assumed I could still use the awning for shade. when I get a new awning I'm going to pin the arms so they can't come open again .

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130528_115617.png
Views:	208
Size:	371.5 KB
ID:	186687

Old 05-28-2013, 12:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I saw the same thing nearly happen to a new owner of an SOB at our camp this weekend. He'd opened both awning arms to the same height. Fine in the sun when you are in the immediate area, but the minute it starts sprinkling OR if you're going to walk away for 10 minutes, lower one awning arm from six to 12 inches so the water won't pool.

Fortunately when the storm hit, everyone with any experience ran to help the obvious newbies get their awnings slanted or taken down. More than one must have dumped 15 gallons of water in the process.

If it looks like it's going to rain HARD, put the awning IN even if it's soaking wet - but open it again to dry out as soon as possible.

So sorry for your trouble.

Old 05-28-2013, 01:27 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
I did that to the awning on my B190 once... In my case it was simple rain, no prior rivet-removing incident. It was dumb, too - I wasn't far from the camper when it started raining, so I probably could've gotten back to put it down in time, but I just didn't think of it. It was a beautiful day up until that point so I wasn't expecting a rainstorm, either. Sorry to see yours.

I didn't take a picture at the time - I was too busy cleaning up the mess. Here's a picture of the awning arm with the spring-loaded cable pulling through the aluminum:

(That has a "case awning", a different style of awning - the tension on that awning is provided by the arms constantly trying to straighten out.) With the help of a welding friend I was able to restore the awning to usefulness.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:42 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
For what it's worth, you may find that some of your leak issues on that side were loose rivets on the awning and corner rounds. I know that I found many loose rivets on mine that were leaking water in slowly. I ended up replacing close to 100 rivets along the corner rounds on both sides. Most along the awning were loose when I inspected them. They were still in but loose and allowed for some movement of the aluminum cover over the awning fabric. Seems to be a common problem. The water leakage wasn't easily seen until I got into the wall renovation part of my project. That's when I found a lot of moisture and rotted luan panels that needed replacement. Lets just say that I've seen parts of my MH that most owners haven't. I'd get those rivet holes sealed up as quick as possible or at least get have them covered. Once you get water in there it's a bear to get it out.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:52 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
OP: I hope this did not totally ruin your weekend. It was a great race. I wish I had been there. I kept looking for Airstreams in the end field and only managed to catch a quick view of one.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:55 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1994 35' Land Yacht Diesel
Franklin NC , North Carolina
Awning disaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvabeer View Post
while at Charlotte Motor Speedway camping. water pooling did this. A few hours before going down the road the awning came open with a big gust of wind at 65 miles per hour and detached all of the rivets holding the awning. I assumed I could still use the awning for shade. when I get a new awning I'm going to pin the arms so they can't come open again .

Attachment 186687
Water pooling in an open awning or did the awning blow open?
I ask because I've quit pinning ours to travel. I'm aware of the pooling danger, but never heard of one blowing open.
Last year we had to put new flex spacer in ours between the track and the awning. Now should I worry about it blowing open a highway speed?
Old 05-28-2013, 07:06 PM   #7
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
You should secure that awning if you are traveling the freeway. We were traveling west near Hays, KS in a heavy cross wind back in 08. I noticed in a couple locations some debris laying in the freeway medium and finally realized it was awning parts. Just as I looked in the drivers mirror, I noticed my 12' awning window starting to unroll and flap. The spring was strong enough to pull it back in, but I pulled over right away and secured it. I had neglected to engage the lock device the last time we had used it. No damage done.

Dave
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:48 PM   #8
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
Do the same rules apply to the small window awnings? I was thinking of installing them to help keep the Eire Stream cooler in the Summer, but I am away working all day and do not want to worry about wind twisting them off.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:28 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Wind and driving does not normally effect a closed awning. The only time you have an issue with the awnings are when you either don't have them secure, don't shed the water in a down pour when open, or when they are not attached correctly.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:32 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
St Cloud , Florida
I don't have an awning yet......lol
Old 05-28-2013, 11:32 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbb View Post
Do the same rules apply to the small window awnings? I was thinking of installing them to help keep the Eire Stream cooler in the Summer, but I am away working all day and do not want to worry about wind twisting them off.
There is really no way to "tilt" the smaller/shorter window awnings to allow for rain run-off, but it's not as critical, because there's less area of awning to pool. We have street side and rear awnings on our 19' Bambi ... and yes the wind can affect them as well if it comes from the right angle. We had the long window awning on the street side of our 19' rig lift and lay on top of our rig by the wind. There was no damage because there are no arms on those, but if we hadn't been there to secure it, it might have eventually damaged something.

That having been said, don't let this keep you from getting street side and rear awnings...they are terrific. If you are camping in full sun...they shade the windows and the sides and really help cut down on the heat.
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:52 AM   #12
Ready to go campin?

1992 33' Land Yacht
Evans , West Virginia
I will drill and pin my next awning and any awning down the road I get. The wind is powerful. I would have never thought it could open my awning going down the interstate. Boatnik1 I don't have one either, right now.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:39 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I hardly ever let my big awning out because I have seen so many trailers with the awning ripped away in the wind. I have seen some that the awning was laid back over the roof of the trailer causing the roof air to quit working due to suffocation. I guess the fan motor burned out because it was smothered by the awning. When I do put the awning out I will not leave it unattended.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:59 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
It only takes a few seconds to twist the locks on the long awnings securing them for travel. It's part of our leaving checklist.