Old 05-29-2013, 09:30 AM   #15

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Rather than use the pole to turn the wheel locks on my awning, I bring a small step ladder (3 steps). This gives me enough height to hand tighten the locks. And the final step to use the hook lock to make sure things are secure.

My first travel trailer (SOB) had an awning and on its first trip out I extended the awning. I extended each pole equally and figured any rain would run off. We then left for about 10 hours on a day trip. Came back and found the awning laying against the side of the trailer. Rain had occurred and with no slant to one side, the water pooled and eventually both arms bent in half from the water weight. Thankfully no damage to the trailer but I ended up replacing both arms when I got home. I learned a big lesson that day.

I bent them a second time beach front camping at Myrtle Beach when a gust of wind off the ocean bent the arms. Went out to Camping World and bought a wind tie down spring system to resist the wind that you get when camping on beaches. I still have it, but never have been back to the beach with the Airstream. If the forecast is for thunderstorms overnight or strong winds, I roll things up before going to bed. I've done enough trips out in the dark and pouring rain to learn that lesson.

Jack

AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 05:36 AM   #16
Ready to go campin?

1992 33' Land Yacht
Evans , West Virginia
When I install my new awning, should I use the existing mounting holes?

Old 05-31-2013, 07:42 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
It's unlikely the existing holes would line up with any predrilled holes on the awning if it has any. If there are no predrilled holes, it would be hard to get them drilled exactly to match. It's also pretty likely that the existing holes in the MH are not sound mounting points anymore. There's a square steel tubing that the awning rivets to inside the wall and any loose rivets will rust the tubing away making them poor mounting points. Either way you'll need to seal the existing holes with either new rivets to mount the new awning or simply seal the holes and drill new mounting holes.

What do you plan to use to mount the new awning with?
Old 05-31-2013, 08:12 AM   #18
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
A few years back while camped on the SC coast in a big mega park, a big storm blew through, ripped off dozens of awnings. They were stacked up like cord wood up and down the roads, all thru the park. The awning repair guys loved it.

One poor soul had his fly back over his trailer, knocked out the front window of his back side neighbor. A bad day.

Once upon a time when I was just breaking in, we were camping in a State park during one of our hot, humid Southern weekends, ac running full blast. I had noticed that none of the usual water was running off the side (sob) but thought it was so hot the water was evaporating on top. Duh....got a big surprise that Sunday am when I lowered the awning to put it up. Must have been 20 or so gallons of water up there.

Thank goodness AS provides for that.

That same awning, on that same Sunday, got ripped of the side of the trailer less than a quarter mile from my house during a tornatic like storm. We were trying to beat the storm home but it got there first. Took out more than just my awning.

I keep 2 small bungees on mine now when traveling.

John
WBCCI #3892
Region 3 , 1st VP

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight he will just kill you........a wise old man.
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:44 AM   #19
Ready to go campin?

1992 33' Land Yacht
Evans , West Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92landyacht View Post
It's unlikely the existing holes would line up with any predrilled holes on the awning if it has any. If there are no predrilled holes, it would be hard to get them drilled exactly to match. It's also pretty likely that the existing holes in the MH are not sound mounting points anymore. There's a square steel tubing that the awning rivets to inside the wall and any loose rivets will rust the tubing away making them poor mounting points. Either way you'll need to seal the existing holes with either new rivets to mount the new awning or simply seal the holes and drill new mounting holes.

What do you plan to use to mount the new awning with?
I was planning Rivets and screws just like the old one was mounted , do you have any suggestions
Old 06-07-2013, 10:23 PM   #20
Ready to go campin?

1992 33' Land Yacht
Evans , West Virginia
All the stuff showed up today. I noticed that the awning rail came in 5, 5 ft pieces I was thinking it should be longer than the awning so I guess the arms will not mount over the rail as before. HAS ANYONE DONE THIS??????