Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-06-2010, 06:52 AM   #1
John

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Jacksonville , Florida
Noobie Question

Since I'm new to this forum I thought I'd introduce myself. I have been in motorhomes most of my life, on and off. Decided to jump in again, but in an effort to not lose my shirt (ask me about my new 2002 Country Coach sale in 2004 ) I purchased a 'mint' 2005 30 ft. Land Yacht/Workhorse. I've been slowly bringing it back to as-new status (promised myself I wouldn't do that) and wonder if this particular oddity was standard?

The center of the steering post, where there should be the traditional circular pad for the horn, is indeed there, but no horn upon 'pushing the pad'. Upon popping the pad off, yechh, no wiring coming up thru the column to activate the horn. Can see the spade terminals for where the wiring should go. Hmmm. Notice an industrial looking 'button/switch' just left of the steering column along a horizontal surface. Voila...press the button, the horn blows! Odd indeed, but it works. I know how to 'fix' this but just am curious, was this STANDARD on the Land Yacht? Airstream essentially said they just purchased the chassis from Workhorse and had nothing to do with horn? Workhorse never returned any phone calls.

My guess was/is, Workhorse forgot to bring wire thru steering column and this was either a DEALER DIY or buyer DIY project.

Nice meeting all of you folks...am also a BMW motorcycle nut and on many of the BMW cycle forums with same USERNAME.
jpalamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 04:23 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Evansville , Indiana
John, welcome to the world of the Land Yacht gas. We putchased a 2004 30 ft w/slide with just under 10,000 miles just about a year ago. Yes, our horn works by pushing on the pad in the center of the steering wheel.

Would be glad to exchange information!

Sam (airstream12557@aol.com)
Airstream12557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 03:03 AM   #3
John

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Jacksonville , Florida
Thanks, I figured it was some rigged solution. I'll take a look at it someday soon and see how easy it is to feed the 'hot' wire thru the column. Tho' being somewhat of a 'horn' person, and I shouldn't be, maybe it's for the better if it's not so accessible! :-)
jpalamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 07:32 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Years ago I drove a truck commercially, horn stopped working, boss said take it in to dealer, gmc. Tech replaced horn, didn't work, replaced steering wheel switch, didn't work, replace fuse and it worked. No he didn't remove unnecessary installed parts, as lowly driver I didn't like but didn't say anything. That was when I decided I could troubleshoot anything I owned before resorting to an expert.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote