Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-11-2013, 02:58 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
1955 22' Flying Cloud
2000 31' Land Yacht
Lafayette , Louisiana
Prior Owner did leave a Blue Ox. I am anxious to take my LY to Premier RV Repair in Scott. He is one of the local Blue Ox dealers. I talked to Smitty's in Houston today, they modify drive shafts to tow four wheel down on most cars. I had decided if I could I would have my 2008 Taurus X modified to tow it. Smitty said he would love to take my $$ but my front wheel drive Taurus could be towed wheels down with no modification, just have the base plates installed an go......I hope so. Stay tuned. Jay
jrkeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:32 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
I used to have a '94 LY diesel. I used an NSA Readybrake towbar with the built-in surge brake for the toad. Someone on another forum wanted to buy it, so I brought it along with me on my trip south - and he reneged. The toad was a VW Cabrio, which is no longer in our family. If anyone is interested in the towbar with integral brake, please PM me.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:19 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkmagikca View Post
I used to have a '94 LY diesel. I used an NSA Readybrake towbar with the built-in surge brake for the toad. Someone on another forum wanted to buy it, so I brought it along with me on my trip south - and he reneged. The toad was a VW Cabrio, which is no longer in our family. If anyone is interested in the towbar with integral brake, please PM me.
I can attest to it's a good system, I was able to use it with the Ranger and when I bought the Fit I bought the new brake cables and small parts to use, now I can pull either.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:51 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
1955 22' Flying Cloud
2000 31' Land Yacht
Lafayette , Louisiana
UPDATE: After a couple months looking to buy a suitable "Toad" I wound up outfitting my wife's 2008 Taurus X with Blue Ox base plates, wiring, and a SMI Stay-in-Play Duo Proportional Towed Car Braking System with Break-away activation. Turns out the Ford Taurus Front wheel drive 6sp Automatic can be towed four wheels down. Learning that saved me the cost of either buying a new car or adding a third car to a two driver household. The Taurus tows behind the LY like a dream. The curb weight is 4012 pounds so we found 12 pounds of junk to take out of the LY.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:44 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Fort Erie , Ontario
Jay, that's good news that you have your toad and good to go! How do you like the SMI Duo?

Steve
is.chowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:36 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
1955 22' Flying Cloud
2000 31' Land Yacht
Lafayette , Louisiana
I'll have to report more on that after we drive it on a longer trip. So far we drove the LY with the Toad attached and SMI from the RV shop in Scott, LA to our home in Lafayette, no more than 10 or 12 miles. We will make a 2500 - 3000 mile trip later this month and into early April. I will repost after that. I don't drive the LY but my wife said the Taurus X tracked beautifully and she hardly knew it was back there driving it home. I was behind her in my pickup and watched the tail lights. The brake lights come on the Toad when the break is applied in the MH but the third brake light comes on when the SMI break comes on. It only did that at complete stops.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:10 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Fort Erie , Ontario
Jay

You did not mention how your mech put in the wiring harness for the Taurus. If he put in the extra light bulb sockets into the tail light assemblies it would explain what you observed:
Quote: " The brake lights come on the Toad when the break is applied in the MH but the third brake light comes on when the SMI break comes on. It only did that at complete stops"

When the Moho and towed brake lights flash on but the third center light does not on the towed that would indicate that the SMI is not activating the towed brakes. You might consider adjusting the sensitivity knob in the towed so that when applying coach breaks for real that the towed brakes as well. Check your user instructions and/or contact SMI, they are very helpful.

The SMI gets 2 signals to activate; the coach break lights come on AND the inertia sensing control in towed says yes, we are breaking then the towed breaks come on as indicated by the third center light in towed. A happy median has to be found to prevent excessive break/tire wear in towed.
Good luck on your trip.

Steve
Old 03-25-2013, 10:40 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
1955 22' Flying Cloud
2000 31' Land Yacht
Lafayette , Louisiana
The sequence I described is what my mechanic told me to expect and is the way I understand the materials that came with the SMI. The MH braking brings on the TOAD brake lights they stay on until the MH brake is released. The third brake light on the TOAD lights up (joining the TOAD tail lights) when the SMI braking is engaged and the TOAD brakes are engaged. We will know soon. We are loading up the LY today planning to leave tomorrow.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:56 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
1955 22' Flying Cloud
2000 31' Land Yacht
Lafayette , Louisiana
Well we are back home from a 1500+ mile trip up thru Middle Tennessee and back. We had one snafu with the blue ox our PO had left with the LY. The passenger side aluminum bar came unscrewed and dropped on the asphalt after splitting the rubber boot. Fortunately we had stopped for the night and were just getting underway when it happened at 10 or 15 mph. We dodged a bullet there. We disconnected the Toad (2008 Taurus X) and I drove it on in to Nashville following my wife driving the LY. Once there we took it to the Authorized Blue Ox dealer in Nashville. He couldn't explain how that happened and did not recommend ordering a new aluminum rod and fixing it so I bought a new Blue Ox. Otherwise a great trip. The Taurus tracks great and the SMI brakes worked fine. We averaged 9.5mpg while pulling the Toad. We dropped the LY off at Premier RV in Scott, LA this morning to have the Banks Power Pack installed. I don't expect a huge increase in MPG but I bet it will pull those Tennessee hills better next time, not that there was a problem this time.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:39 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkeef View Post
one snafu with the blue ox our PO had left with the LY. The passenger side aluminum bar came unscrewed and dropped on the asphalt after splitting the rubber boot. .
Just went out and checked my ready brute tow bar and the bolts holding the tow bars have locking nuts, never gave them more than a casual glance but will after parking and restarting. We always double check every thing even if we leave it hooked up, so far have only found shopping cart against and bottle under wheel. I do lock the quick release pins and the car, I leave the special key in the ignition but it doesn't have the electronics to be able to start the car.
Will be interested to hear about your banks install after next trip to see exact affect it has on power and mpg.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:48 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1993 33' Land Yacht
Midland , Michigan
jrkeef, sounds like I have the same Blue Ox tow bar so I'll check it out. I think you will notice the difference with the Banks system. I did with the power aspect not so much with the MPG.

https://s1290.photobucket.com/user/gl...58808196506793
gloran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:44 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
1955 22' Flying Cloud
2000 31' Land Yacht
Lafayette , Louisiana
My Banks Power System is installed but I haven't picked up the LY yet from the shop because the dreaded Auto Park & Parking Brake failed. Parts are ordered so hopefully I will have it back next week $2000+ lighter in the wallet. Apparently when the Auto Park light doesn't go off you should stop and call for a tow. We were about mid way on the Natchez Trace and kept going. Guess that was wrong. We plan to go on a rolling rally with our friends in the Louisiana Unit to Canton, TX the first of May so I will get to gauge the affect of extra horse power and torque from the Banks System pulling the toad on that trip.
Old 04-20-2013, 12:10 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Fort Erie , Ontario
Jerry

Sorry to hear your autopark problem. Can you give more details as to what symptoms you experienced and what parts were ordered?For AP issues try the MotorhomesP-30GM in the yahoogroups.com They do everything for the P30 chassis. You will need to create an account to get in.
Your 9.5 mpg is pretty decent towing. The Banks will give you more pep but not much improvement in mpg.

Steve
Old 04-20-2013, 03:06 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
1955 22' Flying Cloud
2000 31' Land Yacht
Lafayette , Louisiana
Steve I will post parts, part #'s and costs when I pick it up next week and have the detailed invoice. All the parts for the Auto Park and Parking Brake that I authorized via email were over $2000. They are replacing the whole unit. At least when I get it back it will sound and run good with the new Banks Power System......Jay