Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-13-2015, 07:03 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Excella
Ontario , Canada
Unhappy New leak at the corners

Just discovered a point ( well several ) of rain leakage. This involves those plastic drip things that fit into the corners of the M/H at the end of the drip rails. Previous owner had these installed {He definitly did not install himself). Installer pried up the corner to insert the drip thing leaving a hole that was filled with calking. but over the years calking has ceased to stop the rain from coming in. Will reseal just as soon as I find out how. I need to bend the drip rail back to its original shape and then either use a screw or rivit to fasten it. I assume that there is an aluminum frame back there.???? Help please.
woodytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 12:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1993 33' Land Yacht
Midland , Michigan
If you could show a picture it would help. But on my 93 the vertical metal framing stops at the flat metal strip "outside"where the back one piece panel connects to the side wall. On the rounded corners there is no framing. At the top of the side walls there is a horizontal band where the roof attaches to the side wall. Where you are talking about is very close to where the metal framing would be stopping. The drip rails are usually installed on top of roof edge where it folds over the side wall panel, unless its leaking through a rivet or screw hole, it may be more likely leaking where the end cap fastens in right there.

https://s1290.photobucket.com/user/gl...58808196506793
gloran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 06:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Oakland County , Michigan
Water is the enemy! Good luck taming it. Over the years, more and more leaks have seemed to pop up.
Michigan
Michigander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 02:58 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Excella
Ontario , Canada
These drip rails are at the bottom of the wraparound roofing curve and end where the front and rear caps meet the roof. The awning is attached to the drip rail on the curb side. Not good at attaching pictures so that is my best description of the location. From the ends of the drip rails there is a metal strip that goes up to cover the end cap joint. This is covered with calking from one side to the other. The original calking was a self leveling type on the top and semi-leveling (?) on the wraparound curve.
OK, I have cleaned out the old calking, from the bottom of the wraparound to about 1 to 2 ft on top. Cleaned the surface with naptha and reinstalled new calking. I will add a couple of screws at the ends of each of the metal strips. Calking was white so now I will need to paint the calking (Gold) to match the rest of the wraparound area. Bought some paint to do the stone chips earlier.
Messy job that took me a day to complete.
ps while I was up there I spotted some cracked calking over the driver and passenger side windows. Also around the front window. So I guess that I am not finished yet.
woodytwo is offline   Reply With Quote